Singapore Expats

Irn Bru in Cold Storage, Plaza Singapura

Share your favourite eating haunts!
chuckd
Regular
Regular

Irn Bru in Cold Storage, Plaza Singapura

Post by chuckd » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 7:33 pm

FAO all Scots and Irn Bru Fans. Just discovered Irn Bru for sale in Cold Storage, Plaza Singapura, $2.25 a can. I'm probably going to regret posting this as it might disappear fast, but hopefully that'll encourage them to keep shipping the stuff over.

(if this a old news to you I apologise, I was just rather overwhelmed to find the stuff on this side of the world).
--
Chuck

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Irn Bru in Cold Storage, Plaza Singapura

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:22 pm

chuckd wrote:FAO all Scots and Irn Bru Fans. Just discovered Irn Bru for sale in Cold Storage, Plaza Singapura, $2.25 a can. I'm probably going to regret posting this as it might disappear fast, but hopefully that'll encourage them to keep shipping the stuff over.

(if this a old news to you I apologise, I was just rather overwhelmed to find the stuff on this side of the world).
I tried that last year in Aberdeen (actually Inverurie). It's truly disgusting. It's like flat orange FANTA with a tablespoon of FEO2 thrown in.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:49 am

offshoreoildude wrote: I tried that last year in Aberdeen (actually Inverurie). It's truly disgusting. It's like flat orange FANTA with a tablespoon of FEO2 thrown in.
Compliments the haggis and deep-fried Mars bars very well!

p.s. Only kidding Chuckd... I really enjoy some good haggis 'n tatties or neeps :)

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Post by chuckd » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 4:24 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:I tried that last year in Aberdeen (actually Inverurie). It's truly disgusting. It's like flat orange FANTA with a tablespoon of FEO2 thrown in.
Each to their own I guess, but I truly love the stuff. And I'd suggest that the fact that it's sales are either on par with or exceed that of Coca Cola in Scotland*....it can't be all that disgusting.

* a feat that not many other soft drink manufacturers can make a claim towards.
--
Chuck

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Post by chuckd » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 4:29 pm

JR8 wrote:Compliments the haggis and deep-fried Mars bars very well!

p.s. Only kidding Chuckd... I really enjoy some good haggis 'n tatties or neeps :)
I've never actually had a deep-fried Mars Bar, and I can't say I've known anyone who ate them with any kind or regularity....I think it's just a dumb thing chippies do to encourage school kids to buy their lunch from them. I do miss my deep-fried and battered black pudding though.

....and what I would give to find Haggis in Singapore.....but I got the impression there was some import restriction on sheep's offal...I'd be very happy to be told otherwise.
--
Chuck

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 5:35 pm

chuckd wrote: I've never actually had a deep-fried Mars Bar, and I can't say I've known anyone who ate them with any kind or regularity....I think it's just a dumb thing chippies do to encourage school kids to buy their lunch from them. I do miss my deep-fried and battered black pudding though.

....and what I would give to find Haggis in Singapore.....but I got the impression there was some import restriction on sheep's offal...I'd be very happy to be told otherwise.
Deep-fried black-pudding.... OMG :o :lol:

Haggis:
- Go to Highlander @ Clarke Quay. They serve it. Can also ask them where to buy in SG, or worst case, if they'll sell you some.
- Ask at the Swiss Butcher in Holland Village

or (all the below do mail order)
http://www.aubreyallen.co.uk/macsweenhaggis
About GBP4.50/lb + p+p

http://www.mogerleys.com/index.html

http://www.scottishhaggis.co.uk/index.aspx

http://www.angus.co.uk/haggis/

or

Marketplace at Tanglin Mall

Or ask the British Club, or indeed the Embassy

or http://www.standrewssociety.org.sg

All this is making me hungry. What I'd do for some venison sausages, mash and gravy right now!

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Post by chuckd » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 7:50 pm

JR8 wrote: Haggis:
- Go to Highlander @ Clarke Quay. They serve it. Can also ask them where to buy in SG, or worst case, if they'll sell you some.
All this is making me hungry. What I'd do for some venison sausages, mash and gravy right now!
I'd hoped that Highlander would have it, reviews on HungryGoWhere suggest it was on the menu once, but alas it's not on their menu anymore. It was actually in reference to Highlander removing it from their menu that I'd read somewhere about difficulties on importing Haggis.

I'll definitely look up the other sources though.

Seems Highlander do have Venison sausages on the menu though :lol:
--
Chuck

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 11:49 pm

Thanks and well noted.

Is this suggestion of any help to you?
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/25124140 ... pla&crdt=0

'SODASTREAM 5 x HIGHLAND FIZZ flavour MOUNTAIN DEW IRN BRU concentrate'

Savage

Post by Savage » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 8:28 pm

Al Marche in the Marina Bay Link Mall also carries Irn Bru. I do like the Diet Irn Bru sometimes. $2.40 a can.

kyndigs

Post by kyndigs » Mon, 20 May 2013 1:35 pm

You can get it in Jason, Cold Storage, I have lived in Glasgow my whole life until I moved here 2 years ago for work, the Irn Bru here is flat and lifeless, it has clearly been on the boat too long.

Whenever someone visits I ask them to bring Irn Bru in the plastic bottle or a glass bottle and they ask why? Because the Irn Bru here tastes rubbish, and for $2 a can I want it to at least taste fresh!