Singapore Expats

Help! Recommendations for wine and dine

Share your favourite eating haunts!
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Help! Recommendations for wine and dine

Post by the lynx » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 4:34 pm

I will have a small group of beauty writers and fashion editors visiting Singapore and I'm having a huge headache thinking of posh places to introduce as part of itinerary.

I don't do posh so I have no clue as to where to start.

Don't ask me how I got myself into this. *groan*

I'd be very happy if you guys can throw in some names so that I can read up about them. Places for say, day and night. It is not that they have never visited Singapore before so tourist traps are out too (damn, I thought it would make my life easier).

Thanks!

PS: I jokingly mentioned about taking them to Singapore Zoo to one of them and I got a death stare. :lol: :P

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 4:51 pm

Maybe you should have suggested the Night Safari instead.
8-)

Equinox is posh - nice view from up on high.

However, you might simply want to Google "best restaurants in Singapore" and skip past the optimised search items at the top to the lists below.
Cross check reviews and you should be able to come up with your short list.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 5:19 pm

mustapha center :lol:

just kidding!

There are several "posh" restaurants in most five star hotels. CHIJMES has 1-2 that fit the bill, some on mohd sultan road.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 9:13 pm

where are the from if they are from Europe the last thing they would want is posh european food?

Why does it have to be posh why not go for quirky?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:17 pm

I would start with this list, and look into all of the places on it in Singapore:
http://travel.cnn.com/asias-50-best-res ... awa-902361

Might be a bit pricey. If there is budget concerns, look for local foodie bloggers. You'll get lots of nice photos this way too that aren't stock/marketing photos.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 12:21 am

How about something up on Duxton Hill? I suspect it's a place not many in-transit visitors go to, so it might be new to most/all of them. Plus there's is plenty of the smell of wealth up there...

- What kind of cuisine do you think might suit? That might be a good starting point. Are these fashion journos going to want nothing more than a bowl of alfalfa sprouts with a piece of sashimi on top? Are there going to be several people with dietary requirements? (you know the imagined kind that these people so often seem to imagine they are afflicted with).

- Do they want quality, or something SGn (inadvertent lol). Or both?

p.s. Some of the Sunday brunches on offer are great. But it might be a little too cliched for your clientèle.

pps. http://www.hungrygowhere.com/ and oso check Tripdvisor lah.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:06 am

Sorry, have been travelling a lot and I just got back to see this.

Thank you all so much for the names. And that S. Pelligrino list is very very handy! (thanks zzm)

Don't worry, they are not from the high-profile leagues so that takes away the stress.

I've done some cross-checks on the reviews and recommendations from other friends and I've narrowed down to Les Amis and Iggy's so far but there will be more to that once I have the time to read up about the rest.

Any personal experience on Prive and Ku De Ta so far? I've seen decent reviews but would love to hear any from here as well.

Will also check out sistic.com for any interesting upcoming event to put into the itinerary.

PS: I think they are more interested in 'to-be-seen' part, rather than quirky Singapore experience. :-|

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:59 am

the lynx wrote: PS: I think they are more interested in 'to-be-seen' part, rather than quirky Singapore experience. :-|
Ku De Ta for sure then.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:29 am

the lynx wrote: PS: I think they are more interested in 'to-be-seen' part, rather than quirky Singapore experience. :-|
There are a couple of "cool" bars down Haji Lane.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:02 am

the lynx wrote: Any personal experience on Prive and Ku De Ta so far? I've seen decent reviews but would love to hear any from here as well.
Ku De Ta. This is heaven for my ultra-bimbo SGn cousin-in-law. Think vacuous. Think Tanjung Beach Club (or what-ever, Siloso beach), on Sunday for beach volleyball (fun with huge huge breast implants I'm sure!). Think huge breast implants on a bean-pole of a girl. Think 2 O-levels. Think blue fashion contact lenses on an Asian girl.

I've been past it it but it's not my kinda place. Plus it's 'out of the way'.

However I have been to ...
New Asia Bar, at Raffles City
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... apore.html

It is certainly chic, and has more real glamour, and is located right in the hubba. Plus the crowd is not all 'look at me' kids, way more sophistictaed.

But 'horses for courses', good luck!

p.s. NAB is rated higher on TripAdvisor than Ku De Ta [the name alone is lame]. This likely reflects the formers slightly more mature clientèle and reviewer.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:24 pm

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote: Any personal experience on Prive and Ku De Ta so far? I've seen decent reviews but would love to hear any from here as well.
Ku De Ta. This is heaven for my ultra-bimbo SGn cousin-in-law. Think vacuous. Think Tanjung Beach Club (or what-ever, Siloso beach), on Sunday for beach volleyball (fun with huge huge breast implants I'm sure!). Think huge breast implants on a bean-pole of a girl. Think 2 O-levels. Think blue fashion contact lenses on an Asian girl.

I've been past it it but it's not my kinda place. Plus it's 'out of the way'.

However I have been to ...
New Asia Bar, at Raffles City
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... apore.html

It is certainly chic, and has more real glamour, and is located right in the hubba. Plus the crowd is not all 'look at me' kids, way more sophistictaed.

But 'horses for courses', good luck!

p.s. NAB is rated higher on TripAdvisor than Ku De Ta [the name alone is lame]. This likely reflects the formers slightly more mature clientèle and reviewer.
I think that's what they are (Shhh...!) but I hope I'm wrong :P

NAB sounds great, will put that in list too!

charlotte_lee

Post by charlotte_lee » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 4:28 pm

get your hands on the Entertainer Singapore book - it's got loads of ideas for restaurants and spas ranging from high-end to mid-range. I'm new to town and it helped me find some really great places - www.theentertainerasia.com

cL

charlotte_lee

Post by charlotte_lee » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 4:34 pm

Oops I forgot to mention, every place in the book has 1 for 1 offers - saving money all over town, it's brilliant!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:19 am

I haven't heard of 99% places in Singapore that it lists. And it doesn't even tell you what the 'deals' available are. Strange, if they're so good, you'd have thought they'd trumpet them, rather than keep them secret.

Let the buyer beware.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 7:51 pm

can anyone recommend any italian restaurants that also fall into this 'to-be-seen' category? thanks!