Singapore Expats Forum

PR - Endlessly Pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:13 am

zzm9980 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Interesting, seems like there is a backslash against Fillpino migrants all over the world, now it is Hong Kong:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-25/hong-kong-court-rejects-residency-appeal-by-domestic-helper.html


That's not really a backlash, that's just maid losing a case she had no chance of ever winning.


There are Filipino maids everywhere in all walks of life. There was one Filipino White House chef even reported a few years back.

They are just waiting for the word.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:46 am

nice. :lol:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:03 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Interesting, seems like there is a backslash against Fillpino migrants all over the world, now it is Hong Kong:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-25/hong-kong-court-rejects-residency-appeal-by-domestic-helper.html


That's not really a backlash, that's just maid losing a case she had no chance of ever winning.


There are Filipino maids everywhere in all walks of life. There was one Filipino White House chef even reported a few years back.

They are just waiting for the word.



I was thinking something like this:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/starbu ... ation,416/

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 5:07 pm

nakatago wrote:There are Filipino maids everywhere in all walks of life. There was one Filipino White House chef even reported a few years back.

They are just waiting for the word.


And recently when the Malaysian PM went to Phil for peace talks with the MILF, his filipino maids accompanied him .. and as comical it may be, the VIP's maids were refused permission to follow their boss :D :D until some VIP intervened

Westfield
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: PR - Endlessly Pending

Postby Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 3:54 pm

Westfield wrote:We applied for PR in 2012, approaching 12 months ago now.

I am European, educated in Europe to Masters level, work for the government.

My wife, Filipino, educated to Degree level, works for a major MNC here in Singapore at a VP level.

Married for nearly 8 years, we have been in Singapore over 5 years now, have 2 children born here (1 boy 1 girl) and earn over $16k a month before bonuses. We have bought a condo that's due to TOP next year ($1m+).

And yet our PR application is pending. For almost a year. No call for more information or more papers. Anyone got any ideas why? And what should we do next?

Thanks!


And today my status has become: "REJECTED".

Not received letter to see which rejected level we have. I am seriously not happy about this.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: PR - Endlessly Pending

Postby Saint » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 4:15 pm

Westfield wrote:
Westfield wrote:We applied for PR in 2012, approaching 12 months ago now.

I am European, educated in Europe to Masters level, work for the government.

My wife, Filipino, educated to Degree level, works for a major MNC here in Singapore at a VP level.

Married for nearly 8 years, we have been in Singapore over 5 years now, have 2 children born here (1 boy 1 girl) and earn over $16k a month before bonuses. We have bought a condo that's due to TOP next year ($1m+).

And yet our PR application is pending. For almost a year. No call for more information or more papers. Anyone got any ideas why? And what should we do next?

Thanks!


And today my status has become: "REJECTED".

Not received letter to see which rejected level we have. I am seriously not happy about this.


Don't want to state the obvious, but you did include your kids on the PR application?

Westfield
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: PR - Endlessly Pending

Postby Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 4:17 pm

Saint wrote:
Westfield wrote:
Westfield wrote:We applied for PR in 2012, approaching 12 months ago now.

I am European, educated in Europe to Masters level, work for the government.

My wife, Filipino, educated to Degree level, works for a major MNC here in Singapore at a VP level.

Married for nearly 8 years, we have been in Singapore over 5 years now, have 2 children born here (1 boy 1 girl) and earn over $16k a month before bonuses. We have bought a condo that's due to TOP next year ($1m+).

And yet our PR application is pending. For almost a year. No call for more information or more papers. Anyone got any ideas why? And what should we do next?

Thanks!


And today my status has become: "REJECTED".

Not received letter to see which rejected level we have. I am seriously not happy about this.


Don't want to state the obvious, but you did include your kids on the PR application?


Yes, we were all on the application.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 5:02 pm

Maybe the Gahmen have a particular problem with you, I know a chap who worked on a particular IT contract that he said he thought it unlikely that he would ever get a PR if he continued on there as they had a terrible relationship with the customer.
nutnut

Westfield
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 6:09 pm

nutnut wrote:Maybe the Gahmen have a particular problem with you, I know a chap who worked on a particular IT contract that he said he thought it unlikely that he would ever get a PR if he continued on there as they had a terrible relationship with the customer.


That would be amusing if true, as I work for the government :o :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 6:20 pm

My take?

Most westerners here in the Financial Industries (including MAS - you did say gov't yeah?) are perceived by the Government to be short-termers as they usually go to the highest bidder and don't settle down anywhere if they are expatriate, with some notable exceptions of course (and they usually make the news when it does happen). Therefore, it's a good possibility that they see you as not here "permanently". The difference would have been if your wife been local. Then they see it differently as you would have qualified for both the PTS scheme as well as the Family Ties scheme. If you are working for the government, I believe the rejection should be taken as the writing on the wall, as it were.

Saint, I believe, like myself, was granted PR due to family ties.

Westfield
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:13 pm

Well, my wife works in finance, but she has worked for the company for about 7 years, 5 of them in Singapore where she was transferred in to open the then new department. I work for the government, but not financial and have worked in the same job since I arrived in SG, 5+ years ago. I'm not sure how much more we can do to prove "stability".

Arrived home now, no letter. So until that arrives, I don't know what to think. Bah.

enslaved
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri, 07 May 2010
Location: singapore

Postby enslaved » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:30 pm

From looking at the amount of time ICA had taken, they might have carried out a tedious back-ground check in England and Philippines.

Westfield
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby Westfield » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:50 pm

enslaved wrote:From looking at the amount of time ICA had taken, they might have carried out a tedious back-ground check in England and Philippines.


And if they did, they would have found out our lives were just as boring as we had claimed :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Jun 2013 7:57 pm

A rather crude thought occurred to me on the way home about your case. As you are working for the government, and they are in the process of trying to save their very arses, it's a possibility your application is being held up because of the political climate regarding foreigners here. How would it been seen by the opposition here if they would find out that the government is not only still granting PR to foreigners here, but doing it for government employees as well. I see a lot of political capital that could be made of it by the opposition parties.

Just a thought due to the current political landscape...... :-k

Westfield
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby Westfield » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 5:54 pm

The rejection letter has arrived. Its the worst rejection - no invitation to re-apply, just "you are free to remain on your existing passes".

I am totally at a loss for words. I fail to see what else I could do to get PR and then we get totally rejected. I guess I can try to appeal, because I really have no clue why this has been rejected.

So now I have to uproot my family just to move somewhere that can guarantee me some stability? My kids have lived here all their lives, born here, go to school here, friends here.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests