Singapore Expats Forum

PR - Endlessly Pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Westfield

Postby Westfield » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 5:43 pm

Ubin wrote:
Westfield wrote:That's the annoying thing if true: my Filipino wife is a VP who earns more money than I do. Shes not working in a shop or as a nanny.

If these racial quotas are true, its a damn disgrace. Remember - this is a Malay island, not a Chinese one.

So what if it was used to be a malay island. Afterall, it was ousted out from Malaysia and philippines had no major role over the evolvement of what Singapore today and it owed you nothing. Even the local malays have recently raised their concern on the increasing influx of phillipines immigrants. Like it or not, the racial sensitivity and proportion will always be the consideration of the gahmen here. However, your high household income plus a son are seem favourable. I have a close neigbour whom both husband & wife are working as an engineeer here for the past 10 years and has a five years old son have all gotton their PR lately after waiting for more than 1.5 yrs. Fret not if you have the credentials and just be a little patience.

The same could be said of the Chinese though - so what it used to be Chinese? Times change, peoples move. This is not even about Filipinos - the same thing is said over and over on here about Indians too. Singapore advertises itself as a meritocracy - is it or not? People should be judged on what they bring to the country in terms of skills, experience and attitude. Accidents of birth should not be taken into consideration.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 5:59 pm

Westfield,

If you already are working for the gahment here, then you already should have been fully indoctrinated into the racism cunningly cloaked in meritocracy via the very obvious, if not publicized, quota system here. This ain't the USofA and ain't ever gonna be. We just have to learn to live with it and accept it and learn to work within it's constraints. OR. Go home. I've been here 30 years. It still sticks in my craw, but what to do? I like the safety, and a lot of other things here, so I compartmentalize and box up those things I don't like as the pros still, for the time being, outweigh the cons. But I have to say, the pros are starting to dwindle rapidly the last couple of years.

sms

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Postby lolipop99 » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 4:27 pm

Westfield wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Westfield wrote:If these racial quotas are true, its a damn disgrace. Remember - this is a Malay island, not a Chinese one.

Just like North America or Australia belongs to their natives? :)

Yeah, but North America does not have racial quota's. Not perfect, but not that bad.

Australia appears to be going backwards on this one though!

Who say America has no quota for Fillipino? The US immigrant visa numbers are allocated based on country of origin too, while Chinese, Indian and Fillipino needs to wait over 10 years for a visa number to apply for green card, a European caucasian can apply immediately. Isn't that quota by race? Remember India, China and the Phillipines have highest population in the world and only 1% of them migrate to any country will already cause a massive social effect. When supply is over demand, the price will be higher, be it in US, Australia, Canada or Singapore.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 7:59 am

lolipop99 wrote:
Westfield wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Westfield wrote:If these racial quotas are true, its a damn disgrace. Remember - this is a Malay island, not a Chinese one.

Just like North America or Australia belongs to their natives? :)

Yeah, but North America does not have racial quota's. Not perfect, but not that bad.

Australia appears to be going backwards on this one though!

Who say America has no quota for Fillipino? The US immigrant visa numbers are allocated based on country of origin too, while Chinese, Indian and Fillipino needs to wait over 10 years for a visa number to apply for green card, a European caucasian can apply immediately. Isn't that quota by race? Remember India, China and the Phillipines have highest population in the world and only 1% of them migrate to any country will already cause a massive social effect. When supply is over demand, the price will be higher, be it in US, Australia, Canada or Singapore.

The US Immigration system is completely different than Singapore's, so you can't compare it like that. Those quotas are for immigrant visas for people not currently in the US, and without any kind of 'right' to a visa. If Singapore went around and let people show up at their consulates and just apply for visas (say, landed PR) then it would be a more apt comparison.

If any of those nationalities you mentioned showed up in the US on a tourist visa and got married or something, they'd be allowed to stay indefinitely while waiting for their green card (PR).

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:12 am

I personally thinking "PR Pending" is really becoming a secondary form of PR - sort of waiting room. I wouldn't worry about it - it's a lot better than 'denied' and the winds of change are coming (i.e. they want to bump the population up).
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:11 am

wa hey, oil dude. welcome back!

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:32 am

Welcome back OSOD. Missed you a lot! You have a lot of catch up to do :wink:

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:49 pm

I have to wonder, how many people here understand the complexity and costs of waiting for >10 years for PR in USA (if you are from India/China/Philippines).

Imagine waiting in green card line with annual H1 renewal, problems getting basics like Driver's License and to add up if ur kids grow older than 21, they need to qualify for their own visa or leave USA.

USA's immigration system is racism free, but badly broken otherwise.

Westfield

Postby Westfield » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Westfield,

If you already are working for the gahment here, then you already should have been fully indoctrinated into the racism cunningly cloaked in meritocracy via the very obvious, if not publicized, quota system here. This ain't the USofA and ain't ever gonna be. We just have to learn to live with it and accept it and learn to work within it's constraints. OR. Go home. I've been here 30 years. It still sticks in my craw, but what to do? I like the safety, and a lot of other things here, so I compartmentalize and box up those things I don't like as the pros still, for the time being, outweigh the cons. But I have to say, the pros are starting to dwindle rapidly the last couple of years.

sms

Oh yes, I agree. I think the same on pretty much all these points - I have pulled colleagues up on blatant racism before (especially against Malays). But as you say, it still sticks in the craw somewhat.

Westfield

Postby Westfield » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:08 am

lolipop99 wrote:Remember India, China and the Phillipines have highest population in the world and only 1% of them migrate to any country will already cause a massive social effect. When supply is over demand, the price will be higher, be it in US, Australia, Canada or Singapore.

Err what? India and China yes, but the Philippines? They are only 12th in the world and 7th in Asia!

Westfield

Postby Westfield » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:10 am

offshoreoildude wrote:I personally thinking "PR Pending" is really becoming a secondary form of PR - sort of waiting room. I wouldn't worry about it - it's a lot better than 'denied' and the winds of change are coming (i.e. they want to bump the population up).

Well yes, its better than being denied. But there are still thinks that you can do as a PR that you cannot as an EP - like setup your own business, earn more than one income, etc. That is the annoying part for me at the moment. As well as not knowing about our future - my kids will be entering Primary school soon. I want our future deciding before then, as I really don't want to have to put them through swapping schools and possibly education systems!

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:29 am

Westfield wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Remember India, China and the Phillipines have highest population in the world and only 1% of them migrate to any country will already cause a massive social effect. When supply is over demand, the price will be higher, be it in US, Australia, Canada or Singapore.

Err what? India and China yes, but the Philippines? They are only 12th in the world and 7th in Asia!

But you can feel the presence of Filipinos more than some of the other more populous countries, for example Indonesia. I hardly see Indonesians here as much as the Filipinos.

Similarly Bangladesh may seems to be small country, but it appears most of them are in Singapore :lol:

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Postby lolipop99 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 1:35 am

Interesting, seems like there is a backslash against Fillpino migrants all over the world, now it is Hong Kong:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-25/hong-kong-court-rejects-residency-appeal-by-domestic-helper.html

I would say this maid should not even fight for residency in HK because even if she has the HK ID she will still suffer the same discrmination from local, no Hongkie will want to hire her with such negative publicity

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 8:18 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:I have to wonder, how many people here understand the complexity and costs of waiting for >10 years for PR in USA (if you are from India/China/Philippines).

Imagine waiting in green card line with annual H1 renewal, problems getting basics like Driver's License and to add up if ur kids grow older than 21, they need to qualify for their own visa or leave USA.

USA's immigration system is racism free, but badly broken otherwise.

Or, it is working as intended. ;) I wonder how many would be here (Singapore) if they didn't still think in 2008 terms that PRs are handed out like candy?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 8:21 am

lolipop99 wrote:Interesting, seems like there is a backslash against Fillpino migrants all over the world, now it is Hong Kong:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-25/hong-kong-court-rejects-residency-appeal-by-domestic-helper.html

That's not really a backlash, that's just maid losing a case she had no chance of ever winning.

Can you imagine a maid ever trying to something similar in Singapore? No comparable law exists (7yrs residency for PR), but if it did? For one, we'd never know because it wouldn't be allowed to be reported in the media. But even then, the lawyer would lose his license and the maid deported before she could even sit down in court.