Singapore Expats

Insurance Coverage, for Spouse, or Parent, while on SVP

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Insurance Coverage, for Spouse, or Parent, while on SVP

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 9:25 am

Is there any local insurance agency, that covers a term Outpatient / Surgical insurance, for visitor to Singapore ?

I know there are international insurances, but their deductibles are pretty high, and so are the rates.

And any Travel insurance obtained prior to arrival entails a lot of paperwork

Any thoughts on this ?

Did a search and couldn't find much useful info

ripplevan

Post by ripplevan » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 3:26 am

I believe it is very much cheaper to get them from the country of origin. Most big insurance firms have policies that covers oversea emergency hospitalization in a limited capacity.

Outpatient insurance is another matter but they are available from hospitals too if you can afford them.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 9:07 am

ripplevan wrote:I believe it is very much cheaper to get them from the country of origin. Most big insurance firms have policies that covers oversea emergency hospitalization in a limited capacity.

Outpatient insurance is another matter but they are available from hospitals too if you can afford them.
the point is, if you get it at country of origin, you have to pay all up first, before submitting claim and hoping it will all come back ..

Fortunately, I did find some Options here, which allow direct billing to the insurance company !!

Crappie

Re: Insurance Coverage, for Spouse, or Parent, while on SVP

Post by Crappie » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 1:52 am

ecureilx wrote:Is there any local insurance agency, that covers a term Outpatient / Surgical insurance, for visitor to Singapore ?

I know there are international insurances, but their deductibles are pretty high, and so are the rates.

And any Travel insurance obtained prior to arrival entails a lot of paperwork

Any thoughts on this ?

Did a search and couldn't find much useful info
Life insurance companies is unlikely, as you need a dependent pass for the "shield" plans.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Insurance Coverage, for Spouse, or Parent, while on SVP

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 9:44 am

Crappie wrote:Life insurance companies is unlikely, as you need a dependent pass for the "shield" plans.
You are wrong on that count .. and .. I will refrain from publishing the details about the company that does cover those here on SVP !!!

ripplevan

Post by ripplevan » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 3:41 pm

I do agree with ecureilx on that point.

But I believe the premium is much more lower there than you purchase it here. AIA or Prudential do have such coverage overseas. Not sure about the rest.Like he says the claims are in the country of origin. But I always find and heard of difficulty of making insurance claims from some insurance companies here. you pay so much and get so little back later.