Singapore Expats Forum

Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Postby Crappie » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 3:23 am

Hi

I am a Singaporean and I new to this forum, reading through some postings just now and found this forum very usefully to share knowledge and experiences, so decided to register.

I have this question that I am trying to find a answer. I met this girl, who is a Vietnamese, and it's about a year since, I have intentions to marry her. The problem is she was barred from Singapore due to a sham marriage, I don't know for how many years but confirmed barred. She was caught and deported even before she got her long term social pass due to her "dumb and brainless" sham marriage husband. She was on a social pass then.

Question is can she re-enter Singapore for another marriage but this time is a real marriage than a sham.

I called up ICA and was told that there is still a chance if there is a valid reason but based on appeal only.

Hard to explain my situation, put it simple, I am willing to risk everything I have for her and marry her. My father works in Vietnam, and my family travel to HCMC very often so the simplest solution is to marry her there and start our family in HCMC but I want our future children to be Singaporean, be educated here and for them to stay.

I believe I am a strong sponsor for her.

(1) I am 29 and she is 28
(2) Financial Consultant for 5 years since ORD
(3) Gross income more than $70k per year.
(4) Some savings in the bank
(5) Staying in my parents place
(6) Only child so I don't need to purchase a new flat.
(7) Diploma Holder but was in University for a year before dropping out to take my professional cert. in financial planning.

Is there anyone here, facing the same situation as me?

What should I do? Seek help from my MP? Engaged a lawyer to fight the case and appeal? Go down to ICA personally to fight my case?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marr

Postby x9200 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:26 am

What a strange coincident
ftopic93967.html

Crappie wrote:Hi

I am a Singaporean and I new to this forum, reading through some postings just now and found this forum very usefully to share knowledge and experiences, so decided to register.

I have this question that I am trying to find a answer. I met this girl, who is a Vietnamese, and it's about a year since, I have intentions to marry her. The problem is she was barred from Singapore due to a sham marriage, I don't know for how many years but confirmed barred. She was caught and deported even before she got her long term social pass due to her "dumb and brainless" sham marriage husband. She was on a social pass then.

Question is can she re-enter Singapore for another marriage but this time is a real marriage than a sham.

I called up ICA and was told that there is still a chance if there is a valid reason but based on appeal only.

Hard to explain my situation, put it simple, I am willing to risk everything I have for her and marry her. My father works in Vietnam, and my family travel to HCMC very often so the simplest solution is to marry her there and start our family in HCMC but I want our future children to be Singaporean, be educated here and for them to stay.

I believe I am a strong sponsor for her.

(1) I am 29 and she is 28
(2) Financial Consultant for 5 years since ORD
(3) Gross income more than $70k per year.
(4) Some savings in the bank
(5) Staying in my parents place
(6) Only child so I don't need to purchase a new flat.
(7) Diploma Holder but was in University for a year before dropping out to take my professional cert. in financial planning.

Is there anyone here, facing the same situation as me?

What should I do? Seek help from my MP? Engaged a lawyer to fight the case and appeal? Go down to ICA personally to fight my case?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.


Assuming you are not the other poster you should probably ask yourself this question: am I going to be the next one if I prove to be better than my competitors?

Of course after all this can be a coincident.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:53 am

I'd say your chances are slim, but your only chance is to try.

Alternative is to start your family in HCMC. Your kids will still be Singaporeans if you follow the proper rules. They can maybe come to school here and stay with relatives? It's a short and cheap flight back and forth.

Actually if I was in your situation, I think your absolute best chance (not saying it's a big chance) would be to start the family in HCMC. Have kids. Then in a few years, you appeal to ICA. A few years together and kids will help prove the marriage isn't a sham, more so than a sob story. Obviously this option requires a serious investment and commitment from you, but you were going to do that anyway if you're really willing to give anything for her. Right?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Postby JR8 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 2:41 pm

Crappie wrote: She was caught and deported even before she got her long term social pass due to her "dumb and brainless" sham marriage husband. She was on a social pass then.


You've got the hots over a girl, and she's banned from SG?

What did she do? Was she a sex-worker (sorry, but).


Dumb and brainless sham marriage? It takes two to tango. Be very careful before entering any legal commitments here. You have been warned!! Don't let tomorrows dick-joy rule your head

Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Re: RE: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marr

Postby Crappie » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:29 am

x9200 wrote:What a strange coincident
ftopic93967.html

Crappie wrote:Hi

I am a Singaporean and I new to this forum, reading through some postings just now and found this forum very usefully to share knowledge and experiences, so decided to register.

I have this question that I am trying to find a answer. I met this girl, who is a Vietnamese, and it's about a year since, I have intentions to marry her. The problem is she was barred from Singapore due to a sham marriage, I don't know for how many years but confirmed barred. She was caught and deported even before she got her long term social pass due to her "dumb and brainless" sham marriage husband. She was on a social pass then.

Question is can she re-enter Singapore for another marriage but this time is a real marriage than a sham.

I called up ICA and was told that there is still a chance if there is a valid reason but based on appeal only.

Hard to explain my situation, put it simple, I am willing to risk everything I have for her and marry her. My father works in Vietnam, and my family travel to HCMC very often so the simplest solution is to marry her there and start our family in HCMC but I want our future children to be Singaporean, be educated here and for them to stay.

I believe I am a strong sponsor for her.

(1) I am 29 and she is 28
(2) Financial Consultant for 5 years since ORD
(3) Gross income more than $70k per year.
(4) Some savings in the bank
(5) Staying in my parents place
(6) Only child so I don't need to purchase a new flat.
(7) Diploma Holder but was in University for a year before dropping out to take my professional cert. in financial planning.

Is there anyone here, facing the same situation as me?

What should I do? Seek help from my MP? Engaged a lawyer to fight the case and appeal? Go down to ICA personally to fight my case?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.


Assuming you are not the other poster you should probably ask yourself this question: am I going to be the next one if I prove to be better than my competitors?

Of course after all this can be a coincident.


Nope, is not.

Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Postby Crappie » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:30 am

zzm9980 wrote:I'd say your chances are slim, but your only chance is to try.

Alternative is to start your family in HCMC. Your kids will still be Singaporeans if you follow the proper rules. They can maybe come to school here and stay with relatives? It's a short and cheap flight back and forth.

Actually if I was in your situation, I think your absolute best chance (not saying it's a big chance) would be to start the family in HCMC. Have kids. Then in a few years, you appeal to ICA. A few years together and kids will help prove the marriage isn't a sham, more so than a sob story. Obviously this option requires a serious investment and commitment from you, but you were going to do that anyway if you're really willing to give anything for her. Right?


Thanks for the advice.

Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Re: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Postby Crappie » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 1:01 am

JR8 wrote:
Crappie wrote: She was caught and deported even before she got her long term social pass due to her "dumb and brainless" sham marriage husband. She was on a social pass then.


You've got the hots over a girl, and she's banned from SG?

What did she do? Was she a sex-worker (sorry, but).


Dumb and brainless sham marriage? It takes two to tango. Be very careful before entering any legal commitments here. You have been warned!! Don't let tomorrows dick-joy rule your head


Actually, I have no intentions to reply you. First of all, she is not a sex-worker.

It doesn't matter what she have done, what matters is who she is. Not everyone is born fortunate in a country like Singapore, everyone wants a better life but sometimes due to family, one have to give up everything and provide to their parents because this is the minimum we must do but honestly how many is willing to do that?

Even she is a sex-worker but if she is doing it because of her family and her intentions is to give them a better life. I respect this person because no one will want to be a sex-worker. If your daughter is one and she bring money back and put food on your table, how you feel? Mind I ask? Is she a filial daughter or will you kick her out from your house?

I have my heart to feel and my eye to see, she have given up everything and risk her happiness for her parents. She have done a lot of things for me also, which I will not share as its very personal.

She give up everything for her family, why can't I give up everything for her to give her a better life in Singapore? She was unlucky that she is born in a poor family in Vietnam, had little education but yet she never complained and always prayed for a better life for her future children. I am lucky to be born in a middle class Singaporean family, given education and opportunities to succeed in life. Although I don't consider myself successful yet but at least I have the choice to try and change her life and give her that hope that her future children (our children) to have the same chances as I did.

In the course of my work, I have encountered people who with super low EQ and yet with high IQ and at times is difficult for them to understand.

Thank you for your advice.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Postby JR8 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 3:03 am

Crappie wrote:It doesn't matter what she have done,



Oh but it does.

You can't get a visa on the grounds of: 'Is a nice person'


We're adults here: Suggest you grow up too.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:25 am

I bet, OP thinks that he is about to commit a heroic action that will define his whole life. Just want to say is doesn't matter how it goes, don't expect everything to be perfect and do not blame yourself afterwards. It is just a life lesson (and who knows, everything may turn out well).
"Giving up her life to help poor parents" is a standard story in such girls, heard zillion of times (comes in different flavors: mommy is sick, daddy left mommy etc). Don't want to comment. Good luck. :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 4:23 pm

Crappie wrote:She give up everything for her family, why can't I give up everything for her....


You can. Go to HCMC. Marry her. Stay in Vietnam. Make a better life for her there. Singapore will be out of the question. If you love her so much, it shouldn't matter that she cannot live here, because you can go live there.

Problem solved.

Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Postby Crappie » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:49 pm

Hi

I have engaged a lawyer on this issue and made an appointment this Friday, he will be in a position in providing me with better information with the immigration laws.

Thanks for the advice.

Thread closed

Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Re: Barred from Singapore, possible to re-entry for marriage

Postby Crappie » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Crappie wrote:She give up everything for her family, why can't I give up everything for her....


You can. Go to HCMC. Marry her. Stay in Vietnam. Make a better life for her there. Singapore will be out of the question. If you love her so much, it shouldn't matter that she cannot live here, because you can go live there.

Problem solved.


Thank you for the advice, my father did mentioned if worse case, give up my job and work in his company. I prefer our future children to be educated here but if not then International School in HCMC.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34789
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:17 pm

At little word of advice. Immigration lawyers (in Singapore) are shysters. ICA DOES NOT LIKE LAWYERS and doesn't have to entertain them. In fact, the lawyer may take a big retainer from you and then advise you that nothing can be done (I've never heard of ANY so called Immigration Lawyer who was ever successful against ICA as ICA uses it's own rules which are not touchable by normal law. Like IRAS, ICA is a law unto itself.

The surest way to lose a case/face with ICA is via a lawyer. But, please, don't take my word for it. Spend your money, then come back here and let us know how you fared. Okay? Thanks.

sms

NB: I used a lawyer to apply for PR way, way back in 1988. It was rejected. I appealed through the same lawyer and it was also rejected. Later I applied on my own (same circumstances) and was approved. Many years later (around 6 years ago, I met the immigration officer who gave me my PR back in the mid 90's. He is the one who told me, himself, that when ever an applicant tries to use a legal representative to apply, it's almost an automatic no. So, as I said, help yourself and good luck.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:44 pm

^ +1

Per-zacto.

Crappie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun, 17 Mar 2013

Postby Crappie » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 3:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:At little word of advice. Immigration lawyers (in Singapore) are shysters. ICA DOES NOT LIKE LAWYERS and doesn't have to entertain them. In fact, the lawyer may take a big retainer from you and then advise you that nothing can be done (I've never heard of ANY so called Immigration Lawyer who was ever successful against ICA as ICA uses it's own rules which are not touchable by normal law. Like IRAS, ICA is a law unto itself.

The surest way to lose a case/face with ICA is via a lawyer. But, please, don't take my word for it. Spend your money, then come back here and let us know how you fared. Okay? Thanks.

sms

NB: I used a lawyer to apply for PR way, way back in 1988. It was rejected. I appealed through the same lawyer and it was also rejected. Later I applied on my own (same circumstances) and was approved. Many years later (around 6 years ago, I met the immigration officer who gave me my PR back in the mid 90's. He is the one who told me, himself, that when ever an applicant tries to use a legal representative to apply, it's almost an automatic no. So, as I said, help yourself and good luck.


Thank you, this is a very good advice.

Anyway, I still need legal advice on this. Thanks


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests