Singapore Expats

Tutor fraud

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:14 pm

This is the nature of every deposit that secures due contractual diligence, isn't it? :)
Actually she does not have it but it is fairly common and I am not surprised at all why.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 1:32 pm

x9200 wrote:This is the nature of every deposit that secures due contractual diligence, isn't it? :)
Actually she does not have it but it is fairly common and I am not surprised at all why.
What about the deposit the landlords take here? Rather than holding the tenant to a contract it is often money in pocket for some landlords who have no intention of ever giving it back at the end of the contract. A lot like the tutor being discussed in this thread.

Lights blue touch paper and stands well back.......................

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 2:59 pm

True, but nobody says the deposit is a panacea making the person taking it a saint. There are justifiable reasons why it is in use and paying it to a tutor does not make anybody a fool.

TBH I am a bit surprised why people see it in this particular case as an issue as there are many clear absurd cases like i.e. majority of the deposits required by the condo management where you are forced to take responsibility for another party. How about justifying something like this?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 4:36 pm

Steve1960 wrote: What about the deposit the landlords take here? Rather than holding the tenant to a contract it is often money in pocket for some landlords who have no intention of ever giving it back at the end of the contract. A lot like the tutor being discussed in this thread.

Lights blue touch paper and stands well back.......................
With-holding a flat deposit (in whole/part) without good cause is illegal. One is raised because you are taking possession of an asset likely worth 10* your annual rent, and there is plenty of scope for a tenant to case unreasonable damage to it.

pupsiecola

Post by pupsiecola » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks X9200 for your very reasonable and non judgmental responses.
:)

kio

Post by kio » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:36 pm

Thank you for your pm, I am not able to send u back pm.

pupsiecola, that's the same person, just don't pay her deposit.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:02 pm

kio wrote:Thank you for your pm, I am not able to send u back pm.
You need one more post for this (5 in total).

pupsiecola

Post by pupsiecola » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:19 pm

kio wrote:Thank you for your pm, I am not able to send u back pm.

pupsiecola, that's the same person, just don't pay her deposit.
Don't worry, I've not paid her a thing. Unlike lots of other people on the other ex-pats forum I use. I was glad to get to the bottom of it and have made the 900 or so people aware of this person and all her aliases and she has obviously been barred from the group (she was a member of the group as at least five different people).

She must have got a bit of a shock when she got several texts from me addressed to her various names. I told her I will do what I can to ensure she can't con anyone else. Let me know how you get on with the police. I am in two minds whether to report her. We are having a very tough time with our youngest son and are trying to figure out what to do with his best interests at heart. I guess I need to find out what's involved if I do report her. For now I'm happy with the word of mouth approach.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Jinki & tuty lance, et.al.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 5:22 pm

Let's see now.....

From Dec 2011 thru Feb 2012 we have "tuty lance" advertising for home schooling and korean languages with three children using the email of [email protected] after being taken to task she stopped posting with that nick & email address.

in June 2012 we have "jinki" advertising for home schooling using the email of [email protected] and Korean languages usng [email protected] ironically with three children as well. Funny how both emails have "lance" in them, and 3 children and homeschooling, yeah?

jinki also goes by another nick on another forum which is even more telling. Her nick there is "twinklestariq" and it is a job board where she is acting as a go between looking for tutors for her clients: http://www.jobmarket.com.sg/forums/sear ... id=1622456 she uses the email addresses of [email protected] as well as [email protected]

It would also seem that she has been doing this since at least June 2010 up to Jan 2013 an iqquest sure sounds like a business handle to me.

She did change her IP address from Maxonline in 2011 after she was put on the spot then and she actually gave her name to one of our regulars as an Indonesian Name of Tuty Alawiyah but I don't think this is an accurate name as it doesn't turn up anything in Singapore, but lots in Indonesia.

With this information, which was supplied by one of our posters who had a first person situation with this sneaky advertiser, I've blocked both accounts and am watching several others as well.

Be very careful of engaging tutors here who are NOT recommended by other regulars here. If you get a recommendation from a poster with between 1 and 15 to 20 posts. These types are opportunists and have no morals whatsoever. Forewarned is forearmed. Cavaet Emptor.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:23 am

As result of this unfortunate situation please also be cautious responding to seemingly good will, benign, non-commercial offers of help in school related topics. They may just be posted to gain your trust and only some time later turn to be a tutor recommendation etc.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jinki & tuty lance, et.al.

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 4:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: iqquest sure sounds like a business handle to me.
Typically dumb false-promise SGn one, given how you can have a quest for knowledge, but IQ is a thing that you cannot increase.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tutor fraud

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 May 2016 11:24 pm

Gosh, might 'trusttuitionagy' above possibly be a tutor who signed up solely to spam this forum?

My in-tuition [geddit?] suggests that he won't last long here...

--- It always amuses me, tutors, supposed purveyors of wisdom - foolish enough to break the rules and post spam :roll:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 21 May 2016 1:30 pm

I might have posted some time back about a well-known case of a lady piano teacher who defrauded a lot of people with upfront pay and various excuses for cancellation of lessons and non-delivery of services
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

ElonTank

Post by ElonTank » Thu, 01 Dec 2016 5:48 pm

anywhere to disclose the tutor profile?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Dec 2016 5:55 pm

Try the search engine?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers