Singapore Expats

Local Food Venture

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Sonya

Local Food Venture

Post by Sonya » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:19 am

Hey, was told that the food at Lau Pa Sat is great. Anyone up for some local street food? We can arrange for a group dinner. Drop me a PM and I'll give you my email (don't want to be receiving spams) :D

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 1:14 pm

There are plenty of other hawker stands that are great. Lau Pa Sat is just the most famous one, not necessarily the most delicious. I have no preferences but would love to try new hawker places.

I was told to try (again) Chomp Chomp Hawker center at Serangoon Garden (near where I live)

Newton Food center is great for seafood...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 2:14 pm

And both Lau Pa Sat and Newton are overpriced as well. Definitely not value for money.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 5:00 pm

I agree with what SMS said about Lau Pa Sat...but it's not as overpriced as the Makan Sutra place right beside Esplanade's "Durian".

But Newton for seafood I always felt it was value for money...though we still pay somewhere around $20 per person, but everybody got stuffed.

I don't have much experience about Chomp Chomp though.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 5:14 pm

Got's lots of experience in chomp-chomp (I live around 15 minute walk away). But it does get warm in there during daylight hours. Even after the renovations, it is still warm but I thinks it's because of the close proximity of all the stalls and low roofing. But the food it good and still reasonably priced.
The crowds tend to confirm it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 7:18 pm

Akimbo wrote:I agree with what SMS said about Lau Pa Sat...but it's not as overpriced as the Makan Sutra place right beside Esplanade's "Durian".

But Newton for seafood I always felt it was value for money...though we still pay somewhere around $20 per person, but everybody got stuffed.

I don't have much experience about Chomp Chomp though.

Just a cautionary note:

Newton used to have a terrible reputation for ripping off tourists (like say charging $100 for a couple of simple dishes). You would see a lot of letters written to newspapers about it. (Google on 'newton hawker centre overcharging', and you'll see what I mean, c20k hits). For this reason alone I have never been there.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:02 am

Thanks SMS and JR8 for the advice.

@JR8

I always go to the same stall at Newton Food Center, where my family brought me the first time. According to my cousin, he's been referred to it quite a lot by his friends.

And so far, for the 3 times I've been there, I was never ripped off, and I'm always satisfied with their hawker service. (the 20 bux thing)

Though after all this time, I've NEVER-EVER-EVER bought anything on the menu that has the $4.8/100 gram sort of stuff e.g. chili crab, tiger prawns.

Maybe they are delicious, but without deep pockets and personally choosing the fresh dish by myself, I will not want to do it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:09 am

Akimbo wrote:Thanks SMS and JR8 for the advice.

@JR8

I always go to the same stall at Newton Food Center, where my family brought me the first time. According to my cousin, he's been referred to it quite a lot by his friends.

And so far, for the 3 times I've been there, I was never ripped off, and I'm always satisfied with their hawker service. (the 20 bux thing)

Though after all this time, I've NEVER-EVER-EVER bought anything on the menu that has the $4.8/100 gram sort of stuff e.g. chili crab, tiger prawns.

Maybe they are delicious, but without deep pockets and personally choosing the fresh dish by myself, I will not want to do it.

You seem to miss my point (?).

Even with 200 gms of prawns at $5/100gm, and a plate of $5 kuay teow, they would be charging some people newbie/tourists) say $100. This was a problem for a long time. Perhaps it has now been stamped out, I don't know.

But Google does not lie, what with it's thousands of posts of how it used to be just like I say.