Singapore Expats Forum

Driving lesson without Singapore license

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
guesswhoiam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun, 10 Mar 2013

Driving lesson without Singapore license

Postby guesswhoiam » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 8:21 pm

I have basic driving skill (from lessons in my home country) but would like to improve it. I don't have a Singapore license, and I'm not considering to get one at the moment. Is there a good driving lesson programme for my situation?

I check websites such as BBDC, their standard package seems to be tailored for getting a licence and might be more complicated/expensive than necessary, and their refresher course seems to apply only for people with Singaporean license, so I can't take them. Any advice for this situation?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 8:39 pm

:-k Go home?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Driving lesson without Singapore license

Postby x9200 » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 8:44 pm

I would suggest to talk to the centres like the mentioned BBDC directly. I see no reason why they should follow their standard "curriculum" if you just want to practice a bit without taking the tests. It makes no practical difference for the instructor and the centre. If you want to practice the driving technique within the internal driving circuit I think you may be allowed right from the start, but if you want to drive on the public road you will very likely need to pass all the tests needed for provisional driving license.

guesswhoiam wrote:I have basic driving skill (from lessons in my home country) but would like to improve it. I don't have a Singapore license, and I'm not considering to get one at the moment. Is there a good driving lesson programme for my situation?

I check websites such as BBDC, their standard package seems to be tailored for getting a licence and might be more complicated/expensive than necessary, and their refresher course seems to apply only for people with Singaporean license, so I can't take them. Any advice for this situation?

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Driving lesson without Singapore license

Postby taxico » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 9:45 pm

guesswhoiam wrote:I have basic driving skill (from lessons in my home country) but would like to improve it...

Any advice for this situation?


you need a private driving instructor for this. you can drive for 1 year in singapore on your foreign license. no driving school will accept you without a local license.

despite having a racing license, i wasn't confident driving in singapore for a period of time some years back and that's what i did. i think i paid about 20 or 30 bucks an hour.

i drove for less than 5 hours before the instructor told me i would do okay on local roads. you can find these driving instructors near train stations that are near driving schools. they have a red L plate - approach the older looking men and ask for their card.

to be honest, i think the privtae instructors will have better tips/advice for you.

guesswhoiam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun, 10 Mar 2013

Re: Driving lesson without Singapore license

Postby guesswhoiam » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 9:50 pm

taxico wrote: you can find these driving instructors near train stations that are near driving schools. they have a red L plate - approach the older looking men and ask for their card.

to be honest, i think the privtae instructors will have better tips/advice for you.


Any idea how to recognize these people? It seems quite hard to find a private instructors in a MRT station like Bukit Gombak :))

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:06 pm

look for a japanese/korean car with a giant plastic red L dangling off the front and back. they will be at the taxi pick-up/drop-off point (or some where near the train station they can pick up their young learner drivers).

they will be in or near the car, waiting for their student to show up. if you don't see anyone near the car, just walk to the car and start peering in - the owner (an instructor) will come to you.

you usually don't have long - they run a tight schedule. 5 to or on the hour's a good bet.

the train stations have to be the ones nearest to the driving schools (scattered in the north and east and...???).

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:31 pm

guesswhoiam, I know who your are, and I suspect you got you license the usual way they are gotten in Indonesia. You can get any kind of license you want there with a little grease. (I worked in Indonesia for 12 years). I wont reveal your name here suffice it to say that you were a student here and you are Indonesian. ;-)

guesswhoiam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun, 10 Mar 2013

Postby guesswhoiam » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:guesswhoiam, I know who your are, and I suspect you got you license the usual way they are gotten in Indonesia. You can get any kind of license you want there with a little grease. (I worked in Indonesia for 12 years). I wont reveal your name here suffice it to say that you were a student here and you are Indonesian. ;-)


Any help for my situation? :D Do I know you personally?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:33 pm

Maybe check over in Johor? Else I reckon you will have to do as others have recommended. No, you don't know me.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Driving lesson without Singapore license

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 07 Mar 2017 10:09 pm

enem45 wrote:Hello,
You can go some driving license agency .


Where do they come from?????


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests