Singapore Expats

Nexus International School

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 8:20 pm

The breaks are staggered. It's not every child in the school for the playtimes. All of the areas they are allowed in are monitored, the younger children are not given quite a free reign as you have listed. Not the very small. There is constant movement in the school, adults everywhere, and the staff room is based in between the playing field and canteen. There are no hidden corners and even if they were there is a huge sense of fair play in the school and bullying is not tolerated. The children would not be scared to say if they saw something. But it's not something I worry about, the school has a big "being a friend" teaching policy and the school council take their looking out for each other stance very seriously.

My 6 year old went off grid with a friend, they went to see the counsellor because she's nice. I went in and had a chat with the primary head to discuss how it was dealt with and their absence was noticed within a couple of minutes and there were 8 staff immediately mobilised to find them. There is a system. As far as getting out of the actual school, no chance. The chaps on the front gates see me at least twice a day and I still get checked every single time.

I don't know if you looked at all of the pods but they are all the same layout for primary, classes around a central area. I like it, it has a community feel.

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks Hannieroo... that's very helpful to know. Sounds like they do have it under control. well, I am definitely shortlisting them... i still have time to consider since my kids are now in a kindergarten which they are enjoying and I am only looking to move them when they are about 5 (2 years from now). Thanks!!

Singalong

Post by Singalong » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:04 am

Hi all, we are moving to singapore from Sydney Australia on December 30 this year, and have just applied to nexus as well... for both our 3 year old and 5 year old girls. I look forward to meeting you all, and thank you for posting your feedback here, it has been most encouraging!

Seznewton... My husband is working in raffles place too. Do you live near the school?

Also... Any suggestions for New Years Eve? And would anyone with kids at nexus (nursery and or year 1) be willing and able to have a play date with my girls before school starts back for term 3?

Many thanks in anticipation!