Singapore Expats Forum

Keppel FELS anybody?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Keppel FELS anybody?

Postby Wd40 » Sat, 09 Mar 2013 12:48 pm

Anybody here working for Keppel FELS or that TUAS area? I have an interview scheduled with them for an IT role. Their work timings are 7:30AM to 4:30PM and saturday is a half working day 7:30AM to 11:30AM :(

Although it is 5.5 day week which is a turn off, but I guess, its a factory kind of environment so people leave work at sharp 4:30?

Another big turn off is the fact that I live in the opposite end of Singapore, i.e. Tampines so distance wise it couldnt have got worse than that. But I guess I can manage that by relocating to Boon Lay area as my current rental contract is about to end.

Biggest thing about this job is the role is kind of perfect match and salarywise it appears they can match my expectations.

Any ideas how it is like working there? I guess it can't get more local local culture than that

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 3:20 pm

Went for the interview and it went quite well. I will be called for 2nd round(or so they told).

The journey took 2 hours for me one way and the most striking thing, it was the 1st time ever in my 4years in Singapore I boarded a non air conditioned bus. I didn't even know they existed in SG :lol:

Although my work area will be a proper office building, all around the office is the shipyard and workers in uniforms walking up and down the street. This is exactly opposite to my current work atmosphere in changi business parks with lots of expats executives in formals walking across the Street.

But I guess I will go in the direction where the money flows. Banking is certainly not the place to be in that regard.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Keppel FELS anybody?

Postby the lynx » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 3:40 pm

Wd40 wrote:Anybody here working for Keppel FELS or that TUAS area? I have an interview scheduled with them for an IT role. Their work timings are 7:30AM to 4:30PM and saturday is a half working day 7:30AM to 11:30AM :(

Although it is 5.5 day week which is a turn off, but I guess, its a factory kind of environment so people leave work at sharp 4:30?

Another big turn off is the fact that I live in the opposite end of Singapore, i.e. Tampines so distance wise it couldnt have got worse than that. But I guess I can manage that by relocating to Boon Lay area as my current rental contract is about to end.

Biggest thing about this job is the role is kind of perfect match and salarywise it appears they can match my expectations.

Any ideas how it is like working there? I guess it can't get more local local culture than that


I work at Tuas if that helps.

1. Living there (Jurong West) is cheaper than Tampines IMHO. Partly because Tampines has established itself as the mini CBD so the prices of items are significantly higher, both rental and living cost.

2. Travelling to Tuas is a PITA. And I think your area is close to Tuas Basin, which is pretty far in. Because public transport system is very sparse and lacking in Tuas, most companies provide shuttle buses for their employees from various pick-up points. It would be much, much better to move to Jurong West for this job.

3. Lunch will be your headache. I hope that company has in-house cafeteria. Or you can always use your motorcycle to travel out to other food establishments.

4. You're right. Industrial environment does make it more common to have very good working hours. Working overtime is usually not encouraged in individual companies because of the location and the scarcity of public transport access. Most companies would rather you bring your work home than to stay behind.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34788
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 4:45 pm

It also tends to make the food cheaper at the various hawker stalls around as they are used to the lower salaried workers dining there so it's a boon for those on better salaries. My daughter works at KepFels for 3+ years building a pair of double derrick semi-submersibles for Maerk Drilling. We lived in Serangoon North so she knows the pain of travel time. Now her journey is even longer, from Singapore to Angola, Africa every other month as Maersk made her an offer she couldn't refuse after the completion of the 2nd rig.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 4:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: made her an offer she couldn't refuse.


Mafia bosses also make offers people can't refuse. You need adverbs; just sayin.' :wink: :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34788
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 5:04 pm

Better my way. That way, less competition for the position. ;-)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Keppel FELS anybody?

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 6:22 pm

the lynx wrote:I work at Tuas if that helps.

1. Living there (Jurong West) is cheaper than Tampines IMHO. Partly because Tampines has established itself as the mini CBD so the prices of items are significantly higher, both rental and living cost.

2. Travelling to Tuas is a PITA. And I think your area is close to Tuas Basin, which is pretty far in. Because public transport system is very sparse and lacking in Tuas, most companies provide shuttle buses for their employees from various pick-up points. It would be much, much better to move to Jurong West for this job.

3. Lunch will be your headache. I hope that company has in-house cafeteria. Or you can always use your motorcycle to travel out to other food establishments.

4. You're right. Industrial environment does make it more common to have very good working hours. Working overtime is usually not encouraged in individual companies because of the location and the scarcity of public transport access. Most companies would rather you bring your work home than to stay behind.


sundaymorningstaple wrote:It also tends to make the food cheaper at the various hawker stalls around as they are used to the lower salaried workers dining there so it's a boon for those on better salaries. My daughter works at KepFels for 3+ years building a pair of double derrick semi-submersibles for Maerk Drilling. We lived in Serangoon North so she knows the pain of travel time. Now her journey is even longer, from Singapore to Angola, Africa every other month as Maersk made her an offer she couldn't refuse after the completion of the 2nd rig.


Thanks a lot Lynx and SMS. I have more or less made up mind to move to Jurong west if I take up the offer. So that should help reduce the travelling distance.

In my current company I come home for lunch as my home is just 5 kms from office. I doubt if I will have that privilege when I move there, but thats OK. Its the work and career that are more critical. So lets see how it goes. I will keep updating :)

ulu ulu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 12 Feb 2013

Postby ulu ulu » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 8:03 pm

All the best for your future discussions with this company. Hope it works out for you. It would be interesting to know your experience after you start working there.

Good that you decided to not pursue the Ops role ;-)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Now her journey is even longer, from Singapore to Angola, Africa every other month as Maersk made her an offer she couldn't refuse after the completion of the 2nd rig.



Woaaah, how big are her balls!

I once planned a trip around Namibia, which for various reasons never came about. But Angola, that's a pretty intense place*!?

Damn I'd love to sit down and have a couple of beers with this lass and hear what she has to say about it. I expect it would be fascinating.



* Fielding's - The World's Most Dangerous Places ['the global mercenary's and stealth-tourists travel guide'], gives it a 4* rating (i.e. that's 4/5 on the global bad-ass scale).

I used to read travel guides as others read novels - just for fun. But this one is a different thing... it's mad, crazy, informative yet er... eye-opening... Example (I recall when looking into visiting El Salvador back in the 90s): 'You are highly likely to be robbed at gunpoint, but if you comply and quietly give up all your belongings it is probable that you will not be shot dead'....


[Unsurprisingly the plan changed and we travelled around Nicaragua instead! (An uncle of mine, a real-life version of 'Our Man in Havana', suggested I follow it up by visiting Somalia... but as I said to him, I think I'll leave that one on the To-Do list for now!)]

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Peltons-Wo ... ous+places

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34788
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:56 pm

She's been with Mersk in Africa for almost two years now. I believe she's worked in Namibia (first place she worked after riding the rig from Thailand down and around the cape and up the east coast. She's also worked in Liberia, Nigeria & Ghana. She's a trooper. All 1.5 m of her! Like a little package of C4. I'm sure you have seen her pics. The guys on the rigs just love her, but all also know her husband as well! :lol:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:09 am

:lol: Wooo-hooo-ha: Good for her!


p.s. If she hasn't got a copy of that book, why not buy her one? With that sphere/character she is bound to enjoy it!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34788
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:11 am

Tks, JR8, I might just do that, but like me, she is an avid reader (most rig dwellers are) so I'd better check as it's a good possibility that she's already got it. Will have to have a look see.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:20 am

I remember when it first came out (90s?) it caused quite a stir, and since then I don't recall hearing anything about it.

So if you ask her if she's read 'Dangerous Places', that's the short-hand, i.e. if she has she'll know precisely what you mean...


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron