Singapore Expats

What is the sport like at Dover Court?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Cebrose

What is the sport like at Dover Court?

Post by Cebrose » Sat, 09 Mar 2013 7:05 am

Please can anyone help me fill in some gaps?

We are relocating in the summer with hubby's job and Dovercourt looks like a possible option. However my sons (7&9) are very sporty and I can't find anything on the D C website about types of sport played or teams.

Should I assume from this that there isn't much or is it an oversight on the part of the school? The application form asks for a lot of detail about sport and as its a big deal to my boys I think they be a bit lost without it.

Also any up to date opinions on DC appreciated. Many thanks!

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

At 7 & 9 they should be OK

Post by The Ref » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:51 pm

but when they get older there are not enough kids so it becoms a problem.
The school offers (at least) football, swimming, athletics & Netball but no Rugby or cricket. Other sports I dont really know.

When my son was 12 he had to play U16 football because there are not enough people at the school after year 8, and so we took him to another school. I made the mistake of seing the school offering up to year 12, but reality is most kids leave to other schools by then and when the other kids leave, you need to think about leaving also.

Bottom line: While your kids are young, it is an excellent school.

Cebrose

Post by Cebrose » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 1:50 am

Thanks so much The Ref, that helps a lot.

We were planning on finding sports clubs for cricket and rugby or football but I know that if they have sports in their school day they are happy.

We will only be in Singapore for 2 years so maybe I shouldn't worry.

I don't suppose you can recommend any sports clubs as you are obviously into sport too!

Thanks again.

:)

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 4:50 pm

Football: ANZA (www.anzasoccer.com), JSSL (an Arsenal soccer academy), International Soccer Academy ISA plus a new ManU academy

Rugby: Centaurs is my preference (www.centaursgroup.com). Rugby is my primary sport and I took time looking at all clubs before choosing Centaurs. Other options are Tanglin Rugby Club or Dragons.

Cricket: RMCA - Rex Martens Cricket Academy - (www.rmcacricket.net/)

ANZA, JSSL & Centaurs are all on Saturday, TRC is Sunday. The rest I dont know. Also google for other links.

The season goes all year so we found it difficult to play both Rugby and cricket at the same time, added that cricket gets washed out a lot.

Most sport you will be looking at is at Turf City (now renamed The Grandstand) which is reasonably central.

Also with football most clubs play against themselves. E.G. ANZA have many teams and the competition is almost always against other ANZA teams.

Rugby at that age is normally training every week with a few tournaments each year.

Cebrose

Post by Cebrose » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the information. My 9 year old is passionate about cricket and played for his county last summer so the idea of it being washed out is not good news. Actually, sounds a bit like our last summer in the Uk.

We will make some enquiries once we are in Singapore.

Best wishes.

Makingthemove
Regular
Regular

Post by Makingthemove » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 9:48 am

Thing about sport at school is that it's not just about what the staff teach but what the kids enjoy doing. In my son's class (Y3) absolutely all of the boys play soccer every break time, just naturally go into it whenever they can. For my boy and another friend this has been tricky since they're a bit wilty in the heat and not obsessed with kicking a ball about.
Luckily I've just started him at a great little soccer club and that's got his interest up and so hopefully he'll start to join in a bit more.

Dover is one of the few schools that gets to do swimming every week all year round, so we're lucky like that. Big pool, big gala coming up this week. Soccer is a big thing with tournaments and after-school clubs, and they do a bit of hockey as well, which my son said was great. From what I've seen since we started in August I think it's a fairly sporty school.

Older classes thin out, yes, and people move schools because of that. Also true is the comment about the younger school being fantastic. We're in the Junior school and still unsure as to what to make of the place, having been there two terms; frankly it's a bit of a mixed bag. If you have a nose around on here, do a search, you'll see a whole thread dedicated to the topic with all the differing views, fairly up to date.

Good luck with your new life over here, get in touch again if you need more info.

Cebrose

Post by Cebrose » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:43 am

Making the move, thanks so much for your reply.

We have a place in yr 6 for my eldest son from August at DC and are just waiting to hear about my 7 year old who will be going into yr 3.

We would like to send them to Tanglin or UWC as I think they have more extra curricular activities but we only applied in February.

I am torn as we could wait a year but it is far from ideal as my husband will end up travelling to Singapore a lot and it complicates things when we come back to the uk and try to find a secondary school for my eldest.

We are coming out to Singapore in 2 weeks for a look so we hope to sort things out then.