Singapore Expats Forum

HDB capping sublets to foreigners ...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ariyo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 12 Mar 2013

Postby ariyo » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ariyo wrote:Honestly I have no idea where you guys are absorbing proper information from...but I guess the credibility of the MSM probably contributes to extracting information from unreliable sources.


You just about blew any street cred you had built up here with that silly throwaway line. :roll:


After re-reading, I am not sure what you mean. Did anyone get my sarcasm on Credibility? or are you referring to something else?

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:45 am

ariyo wrote:yada yada yada

ariyo, don't you see that this discussion leads nowhere else but to trouble? People are just venting their emotions in here. If you argue with them, you will end up in a conversation where actually everybody is right in his own way, and everybody is just trying to stand on his ground to protect his position (imagine animal world - two wild boars met on a trail in a jungle and want to protect their own territory: the one who smashes another's snout is the smart one).
That is why we have another thread on this forum: what to avoid talking about with Singaporeans. The subject discussed here is one of the subjects mentioned in "what-to-avoid" thread.

P.S.: At least one Singaporean is happy I'm here: my girlfriend. I do not care about anybody else. Let them care about me if they want my attention. ;)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:35 pm

ariyo wrote:Seeing that most experiences have been secondary in nature "my neighbour said that....my colleague told me that..."and propagates into life by itself, I wonder if anyone has bore the brunt of any racist attack that made you contemplate leaving singapore.


Do you know the difference between pragmatic and racist? I ask, because if you actually do, then the odds are, you probably wouldn't have asked that question.

The HDB housing policy is the biggest government sanction Racist Policy there is. Any policy that prevents a person from living where they want, provided that they have the money necessary to purchase, only because of their Race is a Racist policy. It may be "pragmatic" from your Chinese POV but when the Chinese control 78% of the population, the racist policies rarely affect them. But the small minorities are screwed constantly because of their race. Being a racist policy is not excused by pragmatism. Racism is racism, regardless how you dress it up or try to explain it away. And yes, my 7% minority Singaporean Wife and my 2% butt HAVE been discriminated again. So How?

But then again, with your local Degree you were probably not taught the difference between racism & pragmatism but brainwashed with the PAP definition.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:42 pm

ariyo wrote:I wonder if anyone has bore the brunt of any racist attack that made you contemplate leaving singapore.

I did, on a very personal level and in a concrete situation (SMS reply may look too general) - about who I am and where I am from, and who am I to some people in here. Leaving out the details, this made me decide that I will definitely NOT settle down and spend my entire life in Singapore.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:43 pm

oh let me point out that fastfood chain that just opened..the one where the locals started a boycott page.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:48 pm

I don't think there is too much of venting off the emotions in this threat since ariyo joined.

ariyo: yes, there are some examples from real life. If I remember correctly Brah wrote something recently about a lady telling him to go back to his country during a ride on an escalator. I recall some more cases like this. Personally I was never a subject of any attack like this but I have heard many times that foreigners are not that welcomed. It was not about me but it was said by the locals. Typically, when I got engaged in a chit-chat (with a cabbie for that instance) and they discover I am neither British nor American local people become much more open in expressing their views :)
Besides, as for the context of this discussion what matters is the effect and you have no proof of any kind that these are teenagers behind these vitriol showers in Internet unless you refer to their emotional maturity.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 4:47 pm

I'll just come out and say it: Singapore is the most racist country I've experienced. [which is ironic, given how the likes of the STB play up so heavily on what a joyous cultural polyglot it is]: Whereas daily life seems to be an open invite for a hatefest.

Every day I have race-issues, orders, and demands thrust at me, it's kinda weird. As back home in my very multi-culti city we just rub-along nicely, without anyone issuing diktats over how we should think or behave.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 9:34 am

Hello guys, can you name me another country in the world where the govt has the audacity to say they will increase the population 50 % (4 to 6 million) via import of foreigners? And when it does, how do you think the local citizens will take it?

USA also suffers from declining birth rate and they counter the problem via immigration, albeit not at such a rampant rate as SG. SG need foreigners not just to help with the declining birth rate but they will infuse the country with new ideas and talent, making it a more vibrant place.

When you look back at history, when countries (e.g. China and Japan's closed door policy to halt foreign aggression) closed their doors to the world, they did not progress with the rest of the world and they end up moving backward. And the modern day extreme examples of N Korea, Myanmar, parts of middle east.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 9:54 am

morenangpinay wrote:oh let me point out that fastfood chain that just opened..the one where the locals started a boycott page.


Is it because the queue is too long? :D

I did go to Gerrys Grill last night though and it was very good.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 9:58 am

earthfriendly wrote:Hello guys, can you name me another country in the world where the govt has the audacity to say they will increase the population 50 % (4 to 6 million) via import of foreigners? And when it does, how do you think the local citizens will take it?

USA also suffers from declining birth rate and they counter the problem via immigration, albeit not at such a rampant rate as SG. SG need foreigners not just to help with the declining birth rate but they will infuse the country with new ideas and talent, making it a more vibrant place.

When you look back at history, when countries (e.g. China and Japan's closed door policy to halt foreign aggression) closed their doors to the world, they did not progress with the rest of the world and they end up moving backward. And the modern day extreme examples of N Korea, Myanmar, parts of middle east.

Aren't Australia and Canada easier on that? Same immigrants' countries as Singapore.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:04 am

JR8 wrote:I'll just come out and say it: Singapore is the most racist country I've experienced. [which is ironic, given how the likes of the STB play up so heavily on what a joyous cultural polyglot it is]: Whereas daily life seems to be an open invite for a hatefest.

Every day I have race-issues, orders, and demands thrust at me, it's kinda weird. As back home in my very multi-culti city we just rub-along nicely, without anyone issuing diktats over how we should think or behave.


Have you been to that history of SG museum in Sentosa? I went with my kids school trip what so scary is the little film at the beginning all happy clapper stuff saying we all love each other, everyone like to hug each other no mater what colour they are. They have three narrators and 101 guesses what they are 1. Indian, 1. Malay 1. Chinese..

Now what are you suppose to think if you go to a restaurant and on the front cover of the menu they proudly proclaim " We do not have a rat problem in the kitchen" ....

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:07 am

Sergei82 wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:Hello guys, can you name me another country in the world where the govt has the audacity to say they will increase the population 50 % (4 to 6 million) via import of foreigners? And when it does, how do you think the local citizens will take it?

USA also suffers from declining birth rate and they counter the problem via immigration, albeit not at such a rampant rate as SG. SG need foreigners not just to help with the declining birth rate but they will infuse the country with new ideas and talent, making it a more vibrant place.

When you look back at history, when countries (e.g. China and Japan's closed door policy to halt foreign aggression) closed their doors to the world, they did not progress with the rest of the world and they end up moving backward. And the modern day extreme examples of N Korea, Myanmar, parts of middle east.

Aren't Australia and Canada easier on that? Same immigrants' countries as Singapore.


Australia's immigration policy is to address a shortage of skills. Nothing about addressing a declining birth rate. However, the government is now clamping down on immigration as companies are using it to obtain cheap labor which denies some jobs from Australians--i.e. the tradespeople such welders, carpenters, construction etc. You know, jobs locals actually want to and can do.

The cheap labor is indeed usually from countries known for economic refugees.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:16 am

Sergei, not sure if you are asking if these countries have just as high rate of immigration? I came across this page on Australian immigration rate, scroll to the bottom and it showed annual immigration rate varies from o.4% to 1.4 %.

SG should up the immigration rate more gradually. Too much shock to the system and people cannot digest.


http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/02key.htm

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:35 am

earthfriendly wrote:Australian immigration rate, scroll to the bottom and it showed annual immigration rate varies from o.4% to 1.4 %.

And by the year 2030 it will accumulate to a very significant number, can compare with Singapore.

Even if we take 1%, then (1.01)^18 == approximately 20%.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:49 am

Yes, that's why they are getting mad now. But next 50% population increase will happen (if it will happen) during next 18 years, so not much to be worried about. If they can keep up with building infrastructure, I think, we should be fine (if we're still here).

======
Did earthfriendly delete her own post just now??


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests