Singapore Expats

HDB capping sublets to foreigners ...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:34 pm

movingtospore wrote:
Sloc wrote:
ariyo wrote: I really do hope that they are teenagers with teenage maturity but on the flipside, local forums do have mature people counteracting the racism.
Unfortunately, that is not entirely true. I personally know of several highly educated locals (Masters/PhD) in their mid-late 30s from the local universities who hold similar openly racist views. Not that education makes a better person, but just letting you know....
Yeah, SG is a more blunt society but it also provides an opportunity to know them better. All that PC can be a hindrance to relationship building and all that is not spoken leaves one guessing. A bit of a shallow way of living, I would say.

The ones I had heard are Malays are not working hard enough (school and job) and not putting in enough effort. So, the underlying assumption is that they can be just as successful as anyone else if only they try harder. I don't see it as a rascist attitude but rather imposing one's definition of success / happiness on another. The Malays have richer religious lives and it occupies a large part of their lives.

It is a bit of fallacy to impose one's idea of happiness on someone else. Some people are happy spending a large part of their time strumming on the guitar, fishing off the ocean and since they know how to live off nature, they don't need to expend so much time on economic activity to pay off the living expenses. There are those who get a kick out of looking at the sharpest and most vivid image on the latest TV model.

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 2:29 pm

earthfriendly wrote: Yeah, SG is a more blunt society but it also provides an opportunity to know them better. All that PC can be a hindrance to relationship building and all that is not spoken leaves one guessing. A bit of a shallow way of living, I would say.
Ah yes, relentlessly insulting a race under the pretext of relationship building with the same race by avoiding all this 'hindering PCness' ...sounds like a brilliant plan. :roll:

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 2:34 pm

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... enges.html

“We Can't Be the Nannyâ€Â

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 6:29 pm

Sloc wrote:
earthfriendly wrote: Yeah, SG is a more blunt society but it also provides an opportunity to know them better. All that PC can be a hindrance to relationship building and all that is not spoken leaves one guessing. A bit of a shallow way of living, I would say.
Ah yes, relentlessly insulting a race under the pretext of relationship building with the same race by avoiding all this 'hindering PCness' ...sounds like a brilliant plan. :roll:

Genuine lol! :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 6:30 pm

JR8 wrote:
Sloc wrote:

Genuine lol! :lol:
Being condescending is not the same as not being PC. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 16 Mar 2013 6:54 pm

movingtospore wrote: You hear lots of similar drivel in many developed countries, but usually from the lowest of the low, etc., not those at the top.

The racism starts at the top
Yes.

In my previous Wall Street employment of c20 years, we had an expression: The tone comes from the top.

Which roughly translates as 'do as I do' or 'I do, and the others shall follow'.

As I noted yesterday, SG is the most racist country I have witnessed. But the tone comes from the top... it is no accident.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 5:07 am

Actually, what I was trying to say was that all that PC just helps to push the rascism underground. Neighbor who had no wish to be friend or talk to me approached me just one time, to tell me there's no need for me to live in certain area (unspoken but known to be dominated by Chinese but now Indians). Out of the blue and no context what so ever. I guess some people just need to vent. Anyway thank you, I never had wish to move to that particular overpriced neighborhood. This is not the only encounters of this kind.

Racism is not limited to lower class. I live in a well-to-do neighborhood :wink:

And my husband will never mention race but that does not mean he does not have stereotypical idea. He is a gentleman and comes from a very refined background. We are just brought up in a very different culture. That's all to it. First class, low class or no class, superior race, inferior race, well-dressed or torn tatteredly dress with zero fashion sense. I just let it all blow into the distant wind. Like my then 8 yo daughter (a mini-me) said "mommy I don't look at the person on the outside, what is inside him is more important". One of my joyful moment, I saw this Black woman scavenging for food in the thrash, I stood down next to her and help her scavenge and we found a bagel. That was her lunch! I was told by hubby I like to be poor. So be it then!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 7:02 am

In California, there is the "white flight" especially in areas that are getting popular with immigrants.A neighbor constantly complain to us about his old neighborhood, the new neighbors (i.e. Chinese and Indians) they are not sociable, unlike the ones in his childhood. But his (and our) present neighborhood also not sociable, not many people out in the street.

Not so easy one, your childhood neighborhood invaded by people who eat different food, dress different, speak with an accent and look different. And they don't socialize with you much (actually that is a suburb phenomenon, more than anything else). Many people do not adapt well to changes. 50 % of western expats posted to Asia do not complete their full term there. The culture shock is too much to take. You grow up with this picture perfect American neighborhood and now that picture is smashed. A bit like the gay issue right? Growing up, when you look at a picture of the perfect family, it is always a husband and wife, not two same sex couple. It is not easy to accept a new reality. Do you want continue in your misery of not being able to adapt or do you want to embrace humanity and open your heart to other people who are different from you. The moment I choose humanity, I know I have to apply it across the board. I can't cherry pick :wink: .

I also have adaptibility issue. When I move 1.5 year ago, it was really tough adjusting to everything new. A very big shock to my system. I have to conquer my own battle, nobody else can do it for me.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 9:52 am

earthfriendly wrote: One of my joyful moment, I saw this Black woman scavenging for food in the thrash, I stood down next to her and help her scavenge and we found a bagel. That was her lunch
[California PC mode ON] Does it matter she was black? Why do you have to mention that detail? Obviously you're RACIST![/PC mode off]

j/k, but....

Why didn't you just buy her one? :P A bagel at Noah's in California is under $1. $1.50 more for the cream cheese, but I hope you didn't scavenge that too... :oops: :oops:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:07 am

zzm9980 wrote:
earthfriendly wrote: One of my joyful moment, I saw this Black woman scavenging for food in the thrash, I stood down next to her and help her scavenge and we found a bagel. That was her lunch
[California PC mode ON] Does it matter she was black? Why do you have to mention that detail? Obviously you're RACIST![/PC mode off]

j/k, but....

Why didn't you just buy her one? :P A bagel at Noah's in California is under $1. $1.50 more for the cream cheese, but I hope you didn't scavenge that too... :oops: :oops:
I wonder..... :-k

If EF would have described the woman as an arthritic, ancient crone, would, in the CaliPC mode, she be accused of being a ageist? I see nothing against a descriptive if it gives a more accurate picture in the readers mind. That's just journalism. If it were a film clip, would the recipient of the help have to be shadowed out like some of the interviews are to protect the innocent? Just curious as we always seem to do this today with the over the top PCness. :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:23 am

Nope, that's the way she lives. I don't interfere with her lifestyle. She is happy with what she's got and who she is. Oh actually, I am assuming the last part. I did not ask.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:35 am

And the neighbor would mentioned he just drove by the old neighborhood and the people there were not maintaining their houses properly. I couldn't help but think that he drove by there just to check out what those people were up to. It has been 10 years already, the dude needs closure. Now, he can only look from a distance, with suspicion, what those people were up to. So you see, PC can be bad for the mental health. And it does not help to foster inter racial understanding.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:44 am

earthfriendly wrote:She is happy with what she's got and who she is. Oh actually, I am assuming the last part. I did not ask.
That's an awfully optimistic assumption of someone who is eating out of dumpsters.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: If EF would have described the woman as an arthritic, ancient crone, would, in the CaliPC mode, she be accused of being a ageist? I see nothing against a descriptive if it gives a more accurate picture in the readers mind. That's just journalism. If it were a film clip, would the recipient of the help have to be shadowed out like some of the interviews are to protect the innocent? Just curious as we always seem to do this today with the over the top PCness. :?
You're not allowed to describe someone in a negative manner or portray them involved in a non-positive situation unless they're old caucasian males.

For example, the following is considered acceptable in US MSM:

- "Two young males beat and robbed an old lady today. Police are asking for help finding them." That's as descriptive of the suspects as they'll get.

- "A 54yr old balding caucasian male with erectile dysfunction and halitosis was suspected of a DUI today"

See the difference? The exception is Fox news, which would do the opposite.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 1:19 pm

So at least Fox News does give the whole news, rather than an edited for the power in the WH version. Thanks. :cool: :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers