Singapore Expats Forum

Backlash

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 1:16 pm

nakatago wrote:
AngMoG wrote:
sdkks wrote:I saw this a few times before this incident, too, even from boys. My wife said they do this when Indians hold the upper handles for support when travelling on train.

Even if I was disturbed, I wouldn't hold my nose and embarass someone like that, never, even to a hobo. I find this offensive, I don't know how is the local perception.


I have to say I have understanding for holding your nose. If you don't, how will anyone ever notice they stink? So many subcontinentals here, and also white people, who seemingly have never heard of deodorant. Should make that a mandatory training, or HR policy, or similar ;)


I've been told a story of a fastfood manager threatening his subcontinental staff of being fired of he doesn't start showering before coming to work and using deodorant.

Twice last week on the 139 bus ("the Curry Express" as some call it) the smell was so bad, once from a stronger than usual overpowering sweaty curry odor, the other from what both of us independently described as dirty feet, that I had to hold a handkerchief to my nose the entire ride. While I felt a bit prissy doing it, no choice really, I couldn't give a flying f*** if it offended anyone.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 1:19 pm

nakatago wrote:
AngMoG wrote:
sdkks wrote:I saw this a few times before this incident, too, even from boys. My wife said they do this when Indians hold the upper handles for support when travelling on train.

Even if I was disturbed, I wouldn't hold my nose and embarass someone like that, never, even to a hobo. I find this offensive, I don't know how is the local perception.


I have to say I have understanding for holding your nose. If you don't, how will anyone ever notice they stink? So many subcontinentals here, and also white people, who seemingly have never heard of deodorant. Should make that a mandatory training, or HR policy, or similar ;)


I've been told a story of a fastfood manager threatening his subcontinental staff of being fired of he doesn't start showering before coming to work and using deodorant.


More managers should be like that.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Sun, 09 Jun 2013 8:18 pm

Brah wrote:
nakatago wrote:
AngMoG wrote:
sdkks wrote:I saw this a few times before this incident, too, even from boys. My wife said they do this when Indians hold the upper handles for support when travelling on train.

Even if I was disturbed, I wouldn't hold my nose and embarass someone like that, never, even to a hobo. I find this offensive, I don't know how is the local perception.


I have to say I have understanding for holding your nose. If you don't, how will anyone ever notice they stink? So many subcontinentals here, and also white people, who seemingly have never heard of deodorant. Should make that a mandatory training, or HR policy, or similar ;)


I've been told a story of a fastfood manager threatening his subcontinental staff of being fired of he doesn't start showering before coming to work and using deodorant.

Twice last week on the 139 bus ("the Curry Express" as some call it) the smell was so bad, once from a stronger than usual overpowering sweaty curry odor, the other from what both of us independently described as dirty feet, that I had to hold a handkerchief to my nose the entire ride. While I felt a bit prissy doing it, no choice really, I couldn't give a flying f*** if it offended anyone.


The worse I've had was actually from the local yokels...nothing worse than the aftermath of laksa etc etc in a crammed train in the morning.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:09 am

the ones with really bad odor, I need to change seats or cover my nose. otherwise, i will throw up especially if i feel hungry. that stuff is dangerous

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:21 am

I really don't understand hiding behind "racial harmony" in place of hygiene.

Oh, you just ate curry? Ok, fine.

Oh, you're sweaty because you just went out running? That's cool.

You smell like dirt because you just came from a whole day in the construction site? That's somewhat acceptable.

But if you stink of indescribable things and people are obviously gagging already and almost passing out, that's just plain inconsiderate. I've been next to hobos who smelled better.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 1:02 pm

morenangpinay wrote:exactly i was laughing inside thinking they admit they are second rate. I am guessing if the locals had the chance they would migrate somewhere else.


Its true, majority of locals given a chance will migrate outside. Also excluding those expats who come here with all the bells and wistles package(which are a minority anyway), the rest who come here, given a choice, would have gone to the US, AU or UK. The reason most are here is because immigration is tougher in those countries.

Atleast in IT jobs, Singapore is like the least favorite destination. Of late, New Zealand is emerging a preferred choice and many of my Indian friends have relocated there. Singapore to them is definitely 2nd or 3rd rate. So in that sense its true that people who couldn't make it in those developed countries come to Singapore, not necessarily locals of those developed countries.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 1:34 pm

Wd40 wrote:So in that sense its true that people who couldn't make it in those developed countries come to Singapore, not necessarily locals of those developed countries.


There used to be a nick-name for white expat bankers in Asia... FILTH.

'Failed In London Trying Hong (Kong).'

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 1:45 pm

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:So in that sense its true that people who couldn't make it in those developed countries come to Singapore, not necessarily locals of those developed countries.


There used to be a nick-name for white expat bankers in Asia... FILTH.

'Failed In London Trying Hong (Kong).'


Yeah, good point! Also Asia and Singapore still happens to be punishment transfer destination, although not to the same degree as in the past. We had a post couple of weeks ago about a banker in Sydney, forced to relocate to Singapore.

In my bank too, the white expats dont particularly look happy being here.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 10 Jun 2013 7:34 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, good point! Also Asia and Singapore still happens to be punishment transfer destination, although not to the same degree as in the past. We had a post couple of weeks ago about a banker in Sydney, forced to relocate to Singapore.

In my bank too, the white expats dont particularly look happy being here.


Well hold on, you have to consider that it was generally said as tongue-in-cheek. Most (say) EU bankers have absolutely nil interest in relocating abroad, never mind outside the EU, so the high-level career competition is heavy and constant in their countries.

But another route, esp if you're not a highly back-stabbing cut-throat, is relo abroad, getting a promotion/role (that you wouldn't get back home), work at it a few years, get to travel and enjoy the region, gets skills you wouldn't back home, then get a promotion to go back home (or at least a parallel job move).

It just a different way of playing the 'career game'. Just those back home didn't like it, as you weren't fighting for your career within their 'arena', so no chance to back-stab you, hence the derogatory knick-name (who those who did relo to Asia joked about no end, of course... )

:) :) :) :)

Edroche
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue, 04 Aug 2009

Postby Edroche » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:50 am

sdkks wrote:What I witnessed a few days ago was disturbing. There was this Australian guy who boarded MRT, his shirt had some sweat and he was standing next to a young Chinese lady. There was no other place to move, it was packed. From the start of journey, until he alighted, this lady held her nose with her hand, protecting herself from the smell. This guy noticed this but couldn't do anything though he was embarassed by her behaviour and people staring at him. I was behind both of them and smell wasn't so horrifying either. Was she really disturbed or was it a way to humiliate him I don't know.

I saw this a few times before this incident, too, even from boys. My wife said they do this when Indians hold the upper handles for support when travelling on train.

Even if I was disturbed, I wouldn't hold my nose and embarass someone like that, never, even to a hobo. I find this offensive, I don't know how is the local perception.


They are weak people

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Tue, 02 Jul 2013 12:20 pm

JR8 wrote:Exactly. Arrogant twits (many of them).

Indentured labour from China, brought down into Malaya, and now they think the land is their birth-right...


Yeah, that's funny! :lol:


Here is what I don't get. What exactly do they want? For MNCs to fire all their own people, but stay here and hire all Singaporeans? So they do want foreigners here in that case.. if they're giving Singaporeans something they feel entitled to.


Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest