Singapore Expats

Motorcycle Day Trips, Evening Rides, etc.

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
achieve1ness

Motorcycle Day Trips, Evening Rides, etc.

Post by achieve1ness » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 3:08 pm

Hi All,

Relatively new rider here looking for a community of expats or locals who enjoy going on evening rides or day trips, etc. I'm American and bought my first bike here in SG about 9 months ago, (2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2). I got my license back in the states about a month before moving here and was lucky to get it converted to a Class 2 here in SG. I have been riding various bikes since 2005 on trips to Thailand, Laos, etc. but never owned until now. I chose a 600cc bike to start with and it has been a perfect balance of performance and practicality. I am thanking the stars I didn't do something stupid like get a liter bike before gaining the necessary experience and discipline...(I was looking at an 05' FZ1 before choosing the FZ6).

I'm looking to network, get riding tips, plan some track days at some point and explore SG and beyond.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 3:54 pm

ride safe. get a good helmet (on a budget? get a parallel imported japanese branded one and the TP won't harass you). wear a jacket (mesh if you so choose).

you might find more local riders at the singaporebike forums.

achieve1ness

Post by achieve1ness » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 4:58 pm

Already have the bike, helmet, jacket, gloves and some time on the road. Just need the people :). The only road trip I've been on so far was Malacca.

I don't really like the Singapore bike forum rules and requirements so just figured I would post here. I'm not a fan of how they force you to jump through hoops and provide them with so much personal info; it's unnecessary.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 7:41 pm

There is a very limited group of people on this forum riding bikes. From regulars, I believe it is around 4-6, minus one being back to the States.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 8:10 pm

achieve1ness wrote:and provide them with so much personal info; it's unnecessary.
It's the norm for most things here. For example, most forms have the field "race."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:46 am

There is some great riding to be had going up the east coast towards Mersing. Head in through JB, then up towards Kota Tinggi. You basically head up 3, although there are other interesting loops that are much more twisty.

Another option is to head out east from Ulu Tiram. You take E22 out to the coast, then follow J173 north. You will have to backtrack on this route. Or, you can take 92 off E22, then 99 and head north, either to Kota Tinggi or up to an intersection on 3 if on 99. All of these are good roads, with some nice twisties. I've done 800 km in one day doing this stuff... ride one way up to Mersing, eat lunch and walk around, then ride back on an alternate route.

SBF is the best place to hook up with other riders... expat riders are relatively far and few between. There are a group of locals on SBF called the Kruzers that like to get out at night and ride the back roads in Malaysia... they ride at night because it's cool... and they buy cheap petrol on the way back.

achieve1ness

Post by achieve1ness » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 1:09 am

Thanks for your reply Strong Eagle, I have also posted on SBF as well. I am def interested and will keep that route in mind. Let me know next time you are going ;).

franky-MS

Post by franky-MS » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 9:31 am

Hello,
actually we go from time to time with a friend from the office on bike tours to Malaysia.
We plan to go for a daytrip, where the ride is more important than the destination :D .
We would do about 200-300 km a trip, usually using the "b" roads instead of highways.
Real fun is going to Cameron Highlands, but you need rather a 2 days trip to really enjoy.
We ride 1.2 Enduros, so if you would like to join next time,
pass a PM.

Alx999

Post by Alx999 » Tue, 18 Jun 2013 10:22 pm

Hey,

Same situation here, and I'm also definitely keen to go around in and out of Singapore. Have done only one short trip to Malaysia and planning to go further in the coming weeks. Found any riding group yet?

cookie666

Post by cookie666 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 8:54 pm

I'm also interested in regular rides.

Let me know if anyone is keen to meet up.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:17 pm

Hi,

sounds exciting, I would love to join too. (as soon as I arrive and get my bottom on the Harley I put a deposit down for)

wibni

Post by wibni » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 3:21 pm

Me too, mee too. ;)

Been living here for 4 months now (originally from Germany but been living in Oz for 8 years).
Bought my bike a couple of weeks ago, but riding by myself is just no fun.
Would love to join up with other riders.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 31 Aug 2013 9:40 pm

wibni wrote:Me too, mee too. ;)

Been living here for 4 months now (originally from Germany but been living in Oz for 8 years).
Bought my bike a couple of weeks ago, but riding by myself is just no fun.
Would love to join up with other riders.
Check out the Kruzers on Singapore Bike Forums.

DrPaulMasters

Post by DrPaulMasters » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:41 am

how hard is it to get a bike license here? I can ride, but only have the basic 50cc entitlement that came with my uk license. Have ridden bikes across Tanzania, UK and recently malaysia - which has prompted me to get a bike of my own.

is there a place that rents out twist and squirt scooters?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:27 am

It's not hard just time consuming. With mandatory theory and practical courses coupled with the wait time due to backlog it can take up to 6 months to get a 2B which allows you to ride up to 200cc (including that twist and go you refer to.) After a year and more training/testing (I’m a bit vague about that) you can qualify for a 2A. That’s up to 400cc. Another year sees you on a 2, bikes of any size.

Quite a few people I know have given up or never started due to the time it takes.

Much easier if you can convert an existing license.