Singapore Expats

iPhone insurance

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
naylera

iPhone insurance

Post by naylera » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 9:53 am

Hi
I had a look but didn't see any answers to my question. Has anyone managed to find insurance cover for mobile phones (iPhone)? Looking for cover for lost/stolen in SIngapore or abroad?

Thanks
Andi

M.Sufiyan

Post by M.Sufiyan » Wed, 15 May 2013 9:17 pm

I doubt there's any. From my understanding, only travel insurance cover theft while on vacation.

But you can always lodge a police report online and update your missing/stolen IMEI number to the police.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 16 May 2013 7:35 am

Not usual here. Except as part of travel insurance.
No need for in Singapore as unlikely to have phone stolen (you can use an iphone to chope a table) and second hand iphones everywhere and cheap.
katbh

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 May 2013 11:33 am

katbh wrote:Not usual here. Except as part of travel insurance.
No need for in Singapore as unlikely to have phone stolen (you can use an iphone to chope a table) and second hand iphones everywhere and cheap.
That's pure unadulterated bullsh*t. Leave an iPhone on a table and it will be gone in a New York minute. Stinking thieves stole the box off a table of a brand new phone, thinking the phone was in it. Go ahead and leave your phone lying around and come back and give us a report.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 16 May 2013 12:44 pm

Why so hostile? I regularly use my phone + tissue to chope table - but of course usually in eyeshot. Maybe you city folk go to tougher hawker centres - those nasty touristy ones like newton etc. My drink stall aunty would be horrified if it got stolen.
katbh

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 16 May 2013 12:59 pm

katbh wrote:Why so hostile? I regularly use my phone + tissue to chope table - but of course usually in eyeshot. Maybe you city folk go to tougher hawker centres - those nasty touristy ones like newton etc. My drink stall aunty would be horrified if it got stolen.
You made a very careless suggestion. "This is Singapore...you can use your phone to chope tables" versus "I use my phone to chope tables at my local and frequent kopitiam."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 May 2013 12:35 am

katbh wrote:Why so hostile? I regularly use my phone + tissue to chope table - but of course usually in eyeshot. Maybe you city folk go to tougher hawker centres - those nasty touristy ones like newton etc. My drink stall aunty would be horrified if it got stolen.
Opportunistic thieves are everywhere in Singapore and property crime is a real issue. The police won't do anything about it, and probably can't. I've had cash cards stolen out of my motorbike when I forgot them. My friend's car was broken into, as were many in Orchard Towers, and his cash card was stolen. My expensive camera, under the seat, went with it. There's no way I would leave anything of value on a table... not at Newton, not at Suntec, not anywhere.

You ought to check out Singapore Bike Forums... bikes parked overnight have brakes, mirrors, and custom equipment stolen from them. Some parts of the city are worse than others but none are safe.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 17 May 2013 6:52 am

Unfortunately. I even had once my old phone stolen from my desk at work and despite of cctv covering the area and my internal report nobody gave a s**t. Theft of cashcards is notorious. In some places like i.e. vicinity of Little India 5 min is enough and the card dematerialized from your bike. I got it also stolen from my condo car park.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 17 May 2013 7:01 am

Sorry Strong Eagle. Really. I never go to Newton, Suntec etc. They are for tourists or local wannabes!

And really, really. If you originally come from any other country than Singapore, you will know that in comparison with ANY other country, (especially those where many expats come from), Singapore, on the scale of things, is really classified as 'no crime'. Hey a few $50 cash cards, a smashed mirror, a camera .... nothing in comparison to being burgled regularly (often while you sleep in the home they are robbing) cars stolen regularly, muggings, hate crime, car-jackings, shootings etc.
Singapore is heaven.
If you report to police here, they will always do something about it. Perhaps the city police are less likely to be so enthusiastic. The problem being, I suspect that the crime is relatively low, the things you report are relatively small and hard to pursue.
All my dealings with the police (in a professional capacity) show that they are very very serious about following up on petty crime. That they take it as seriously as major crime.
In all my years in Singapore I have never been touched by a crime. How many expats can say that in their lives in their home countries, that they have never been touched by a crime, never had a wallet stolen, never had a bike pinched, never had a relative mugged etc

But seriously, this is a country where someone goes to jail for phone theft.... not just a fine.... jail for a few years for pinching a phone worth a couple of hundred dollars. AND you have to pay restitution for the cost of the phone and court costs. The disincentives are pretty high. And with most people owning their own home, having good cheap education and (generally) a high standard of living...there is less need or desire to commit petty crimes with a high penalty.
I hear the warning you are giving, but sorry, I just do not see it as proportional to the level of crime that actually exists.
katbh

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 17 May 2013 7:05 am

The cash card thing really gets me. I have never had one stolen but then I have a car and it is locked inside. But on a bike, is there any protection from someone taking it out. It is my understanding that there is just a little flip up plastic front and that someone can just walk past and casually lift the card. If this is the case, it is really the same as just leaving cash on the seat of your bike. I thought most bike riders would have taken the card with them when they parked. No?
Yes, I know it must be very annoying but not really shocking when you think about how easy it is. Often kids would do this sort of thing...not really thinking of the consequences but just thinking of the slurpees that they can buy at 7-11.
katbh

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 17 May 2013 9:22 am

@katbh, yes the card should be taken out, not left. There is no locking mechanizm. Typically it's being left because you have to remember every time you go away to take it with you. I forgot to take it with me maybe 20 times for 7y I ride bike here and have already 4 cards stolen.
Now, frankly I don't get you. You seem to see that this is not a good thing to leave the cash card inside the bike as it may get stolen and at the same time you seem to say it is perfectly safe to do something similar with your iPhone. And in Singapore is perfectly safe because in other countries is unsafe :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 May 2013 2:17 pm

This thread should have been started today. Today is Friday and Friday is wind up day. Katbh has to be winding us up as honestly, nobody can be so naive as to believe Singapore is inherently safe. (Famous saying, created by our own regular, "Addadude", for the local Police force campaign a number of years ago - “Low crime doesn't mean no crimeâ€Â
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 17 May 2013 10:27 pm

Ahh... took you a while to cotton on!
katbh

ray88

Post by ray88 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 2:42 pm

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]This thread should have been started today. Today is Friday and Friday is wind up day. Katbh has to be winding us up as honestly, nobody can be so naive as to believe Singapore is inherently safe. (Famous saying, created by our own regular, "Addadude", for the local Police force campaign a number of years ago - “Low crime doesn't mean no crimeâ€Â

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 19 Aug 2013 4:05 pm

I have had my cheapo half face motorcycle helmets stolen twice. 1st time, I was new in Singapore and use to leave the helmet hanging on the handlebar in the HDB MSCP thinking why would anyone want a cheap helmet. Within a month it was gone.

After that I started putting it inside the rear box of the bike, while parking in HDB but in office I would still leave it on the handlebars, thinking office guys are better, but WRONG! My helmet got stolen again in office carpark :x

Now I strictly put the helmet in the box anywhere I go.