Singapore Expats Forum

Can EP holders live in JB?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

wahid110
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Can EP holders live in JB?

Postby wahid110 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 11:07 pm

Hi, I am an EP holder working i Singapore for about one year.
I just heard a word of mouth that EP holders working in sinapore can apply to live in JB and commute between the two countries with no problem.
Is such a thing true? what are the conditions?
I dont need to apply for a visa be fore entering Malaysia(visa issued at checkpoint) but living in there is a different issue. I need to know if singapore EP holders have such privileges?
thank you

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 2:48 am

Keep in mind that it is not a border like say France/Switzerland where you just walk through a corridor if on foot, no stamps, often no border staff apparent at all.

It is a full international border, and a very busy one. Don't be surprised if the formalities at both end take an hour, as I recall, that would be pretty normal. But I never did it in rush hour, heavens knows what that is like.

And you want to do that say 500 times in the course of a year. That would be hell on earth IMO.

Side note, you'd get through an extra-long EU passports every three months ... on your daily commute alone (this is assuming it were legal for you to do so... which I will leave to others).

Just imagine, you'd never get to go out with friends and colleagues in Singapore into the evening, as you'd always have to get on your way back home, to spend on your own.

Why are you considering such an arrangement, and where will you be working?



p.s. Do you have a SGn registered car... well if not, how would you get around once over the MY border? Because you won't want to live in JB. Like most frontier towns it is a seriously unattractive place. Come to think of it, have you been actually been over the border to JB?

wahid110
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby wahid110 » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 9:26 am

Hi, what can I say.
Some of the issues you just pointed out need serious consideration and I honestly dont have good answer for it. attractiveness, car....
I have been to JB and didn't like it much. I heard iskandar is a good place in terms of accomodation but I havent seen it yet.

Before all that, I still didn't get this: is this legally possible ? I mean, suppose I come from a country that requires a visa to enter Malaysia, Does my singapore EP help to live in malaysia and commute to singapore everyday?

thanks

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008

Postby therat » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 10:10 am

You are using your own passport to enter Malaysia.

Singapore EP is just a pass that allow you to work in Singapore.

Does my singapore EP help to live in malaysia and commute to singapore everyday?

Answer your above question.
No.

wahid110
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby wahid110 » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 10:55 am

I just needed to close this case in my head.
the answer "NO" just did the job .Thanks
:)

bioshock
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 10 Mar 2013

Postby bioshock » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:43 am

Dear Wahid110, I think you need to directly talk to ICA and MOM about this.

There are some issues here you need to consider, mainly for the fact that when your E-Pass was applied, you preseumably have a mailing and residential address in Singapore updated and registered at some point of that.

What is going to happen to your E-Pass when the information changes? It is best that you check and find out first before doing anything.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Re: Can EP holders live in JB?

Postby vink2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 7:13 pm

wahid110 wrote:Hi, I am an EP holder working i Singapore for about one year.
I just heard a word of mouth that EP holders working in sinapore can apply to live in JB and commute between the two countries with no problem.
Is such a thing true? what are the conditions?
I dont need to apply for a visa be fore entering Malaysia(visa issued at checkpoint) but living in there is a different issue. I need to know if singapore EP holders have such privileges?
thank you


I don't need visa to Malaysia (no visa on arrival also), but can you imagine how often I will need to change my passport and how confused immigration offcier will be? This will not work. You need a Permanent Residence in Malaysia, but you need some money. Not so much, but not so little.
Kindly check http://www.mm2h.gov.my/

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 7:16 pm

bioshock wrote:There are some issues here you need to consider, mainly for the fact that when your E-Pass was applied, you preseumably have a mailing and residential address in Singapore updated and registered at some point of that.


Lots of people live in JB and work in Singapore as Employment Pass holders.
Singapore is not ghetto and people do not want to make Singaporean property investors rich for sure.:D
i.e. Company address is fine for MOM. EP holders also have electronic clearance as Singaporeans.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:13 am

I don't understand what you are trying to say vink2 :???:

From the best of my knowledge, only Malaysians who have EP to work in Singapore can live in JB and commute daily for work in Singapore. I cannot imagine what sort of visa a non-Malaysian-Singaporean would need to justify LIVING in Malaysia and WORKING in Singapore.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:44 am

the lynx wrote:I don't understand what you are trying to say vink2 :???:

From the best of my knowledge, only Malaysians who have EP to work in Singapore can live in JB and commute daily for work in Singapore. I cannot imagine what sort of visa a non-Malaysian-Singaporean would need to justify LIVING in Malaysia and WORKING in Singapore.


Not only Malaysians. Lots of people do http://www.mm2h.gov.my/

Second option: is to organize some offshore in JB and hire international stuff there, but re-sell them to Singapore - should be a good business, I believe.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:53 am

vink2 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I don't understand what you are trying to say vink2 :???:

From the best of my knowledge, only Malaysians who have EP to work in Singapore can live in JB and commute daily for work in Singapore. I cannot imagine what sort of visa a non-Malaysian-Singaporean would need to justify LIVING in Malaysia and WORKING in Singapore.


Not only Malaysians. Lots of people do http://www.mm2h.gov.my/

Second option: is to organize some offshore in JB and hire international stuff there, but re-sell them to Singapore - should be a good business, I believe.


Here is one problem.

MM2H requires foreigner applicants to have liquid assets worth a minimum of RM500,000 and offshore income of RM10,000 per month. And that range borders on insane-rich, even by Singaporean standards. Even if a foreigner purchase a RM1mil property, he is only qualified for place lower deposit AFTER approval.

If one so desires to live in JB to cut cost of living and is willing to waste hours commuting via 2nd Link and Causeway to Singapore for work, obviously he is not making that mint to benefit from MM2H.

Please do not disseminate ruminant manure here about MM2H, unless you yourself are under MM2H. There are few people who are very familiar with MM2H and you are talking to one now. :wink:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:28 am

the lynx wrote:Please do not disseminate ruminant manure here about MM2H, unless you yourself are under MM2H. There are few people who are very familiar with MM2H and you are talking to one now. :wink:


And I was also pondering the question of 'how to stay in Malaysia, unless you are paying off the Immigration Malaysia every time .. :D

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 12:29 pm

vink2 wrote:
bioshock wrote:There are some issues here you need to consider, mainly for the fact that when your E-Pass was applied, you preseumably have a mailing and residential address in Singapore updated and registered at some point of that.


Lots of people live in JB and work in Singapore as Employment Pass holders.
Singapore is not ghetto and people do not want to make Singaporean property investors rich for sure.:D
i.e. Company address is fine for MOM. EP holders also have electronic clearance as Singaporeans.

bioshock and vink2 in the same thread; what a combination. :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 1:45 pm

the lynx wrote:I don't understand what you are trying to say vink2 :???:


I don't think he understands either. But then again, some things never change, do they! :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests