Singapore Expats

Area suggestions for newly married couple

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Johnny Drama

Area suggestions for newly married couple

Post by Johnny Drama » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 3:28 am

Hi All,

We are moving over in 9 weeks, looking to rent a nice 2/3 bed condo in a lively neighbourhood but with parks or even beach nearby, we've been recommended Siglap but would appreciate any other suggestions or advice.

Ideally would love a condo where we could walk to a local area with bars restaurants, but at the weekend stroll to the park.

budget 4k but could stretch to 4.7k.

Final Q - are 1 year leases common or is it generally 2 year leases.

Read on here earlier that the rental market is swinging slightly in favour of tenants at the moment.

Many thanks!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Area suggestions for newly married couple

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 4:34 am

Johnny Drama wrote:Hi All,
We are moving over in 9 weeks, looking to rent a nice 2/3 bed condo in a lively neighbourhood but with parks or even beach nearby, we've been recommended Siglap but would appreciate any other suggestions or advice.

Ideally would love a condo where we could walk to a local area with bars restaurants, but at the weekend stroll to the park.

Read on here earlier that the rental market is swinging slightly in favour of tenants at the moment.

Many thanks!
Parks and beaches nearby? Hmmm... a tricky combination IMHO. There aren't many parks near the East Coast, and the beaches in Singapore are not really places you're likely to go and hang out (the water is brown, plus the sand is not white). There are few if any facilities and the sun is too intense to lay out in.

When it's 32c in the shade, a stroll of any length in the direct sun anywhere, especially on tarmac/pavement is inviting heat-exhaustion. You won't see the locals doing it.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a downer, I'm not, just trying to re-frame your wishes, within the parameters of what is practical and possible.

I could suggest a place like Toa Payoh where I have lived. You'd get your flat-size required within your top budget. Have all facilites (ex the beach!) in walking distance including the forest at McRitchie Reservoir for some half-way proper outdoors. Take a taxi to the East Coast now again (you won't visit often I suspect), and there's your beach :)

Johnny Drama

Post by Johnny Drama » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 5:09 pm

JR8 wrote:

Many thanks!
Parks and beaches nearby? Hmmm... a tricky combination IMHO. There aren't many parks near the East Coast, and the beaches in Singapore are not really places you're likely to go and hang out (the water is brown, plus the sand is not white). There are few if any facilities and the sun is too intense to lay out in.

When it's 32c in the shade, a stroll of any length in the direct sun anywhere, especially on tarmac/pavement is inviting heat-exhaustion. You won't see the locals doing it.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a downer, I'm not, just trying to re-frame your wishes, within the parameters of what is practical and possible.

I could suggest a place like Toa Payoh where I have lived. You'd get your flat-size required within your top budget. Have all facilites (ex the beach!) in walking distance including the forest at McRitchie Reservoir for some half-way proper outdoors. Take a taxi to the East Coast now again (you won't visit often I suspect), and there's your beach :)
thanks, happy to have wishes re-framed! Toa Payoh sounds like a nice spot, i've done a bit of research and district 12 looks nice. Could you give a ballpark idea of how long it would take to commute to the CBD from Toa Payoh area?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 5:46 pm

http://www.smrt.com.sg/Trains/NetworkMap.aspx

You can derive all/any travel times from here ^

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 6:04 pm

Johnny Drama wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Many thanks!

thanks, happy to have wishes re-framed! Toa Payoh sounds like a nice spot, i've done a bit of research and district 12 looks nice. Could you give a ballpark idea of how long it would take to commute to the CBD from Toa Payoh area?
Nearby-ish Bishan park is actually very nice.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 11:08 am

I live right next to East Coast Park, and love to hate on it in some of my posts (crowded at times, dirty, not ideal water, ugly boats). But honestly weeknights (since it's not crowded) around sunset make the place totally worth it. Especially when there is a nice breeze (maybe half the time)

Definitely avoid it during the day when there is bright sun, or any weekend or public holiday.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 6:10 pm

This might sound strange... but I'd never realised there is a park there (yes, I know, by the East Coast Parkway).

But I mean, I've never heard or read anything about it. What is it like, jungle, or maintained, or more formal gardens with trees?

p.s. Makes me wonder what else is out there that I simply haven't noticed.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 6:32 pm

JR8 wrote:This might sound strange... but I'd never realised there is a park there (yes, I know, by the East Coast Parkway).

But I mean, I've never heard or read anything about it. What is it like, jungle, or maintained, or more formal gardens with trees?

It is one long thin park, broken up with random clusters of restaraunts, bars, and bike rental shops. Definitely patches of jungle (too dense to go through). Multiple paved trails that wind various routes through it. It's a few hundred meters wide in spots. Some scattered playgrounds and HDB style exercise equipment, etc. They also have a cable-pull surfing thing in between the upscale restaurants and the hawker center, a skateboard park, etc.

Foilage as mentioned is random patches of impenetrable jungle, and a lot of scattered palm trees and banyans.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 6:50 pm

OIC thanks, in that case I have been (to watch the cable-pull water-skiing, wind-surf, and fish from a pier).

Looking at the sat-map I'd just noticed the green rectangle north of the ECP, and thought that this was the extent of 'the park I'd never noticed'.

tonycur

Post by tonycur » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 2:53 pm

JR8 wrote:This might sound strange... but I'd never realised there is a park there (yes, I know, by the East Coast Parkway).

I'm glad that you worked this out because I was going to have to make some sort of smart alec reply about East Coast Park :)

I really like Siglap but we ended up in Katong (the neighbouring district). Both have a thriving dining scene as well as some nice little bars dotted around the place.

I also found it extremely good value for money, and you should have no problem finding a place within that budget.

The Siglap Park Connector is essentially a canal that runs right down to East Coast Park - great for cycling or jogging. I had my hear set on one of the low rise on either side of the park connector (there seems to be a maximum building height of about 5 storeys around there), but we couldn't quite find the right place to cater for our child within the time constraints we had.

Johnny Drama

Post by Johnny Drama » Thu, 30 May 2013 2:44 pm

tonycur wrote:

I'm glad that you worked this out because I was going to have to make some sort of smart alec reply about East Coast Park :)

I really like Siglap but we ended up in Katong (the neighbouring district). Both have a thriving dining scene as well as some nice little bars dotted around the place.

I also found it extremely good value for money, and you should have no problem finding a place within that budget.

The Siglap Park Connector is essentially a canal that runs right down to East Coast Park - great for cycling or jogging. I had my hear set on one of the low rise on either side of the park connector (there seems to be a maximum building height of about 5 storeys around there), but we couldn't quite find the right place to cater for our child within the time constraints we had.
Is there an mrt stop near katong?

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 30 May 2013 2:54 pm

Dakota mrt?

If you look at the ads they frequently put up closest mrt, schools and malls in the listing. Double check the mrt, they're not all operational yet.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 30 May 2013 5:43 pm

Katong Area would be Dakota or Paya Lebar. Probably about equidistant depending on where you live, with a lot more busses going to Paya Lebar as it is a hub and Tanjong Katong Rd a major bus-route.

chrislumtc

Post by chrislumtc » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 3:09 pm

Many thanks!
Hi johnny, honestly if you are looking at walking to bars, but at the weekend stroll to park or beach, its abit hard to accommodate both ways. siglap road is quite a ideal place, maybe u can look at condos along marine parade road such as Laguna park, laguna green@upper east coast road and Bayshore Park@ bayshore road, very near to east coast park.

with your budget, its possible to get your desired unit with ease.

generally, owners look for 1 year and above lease, be it 1 or 2 years.
if you are going for 2 years lease, there will be an advantage clause to you, that is diplomatic clause which means; incase your company need to relocate u, you can give a advance 2 months notice to your landlord to terminate the contract.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 4:50 pm

chrislumtc wrote: Hi johnny, honestly if you are looking at walking to bars, but at the weekend stroll to park or beach, its abit hard to accommodate both ways. siglap road is quite a ideal place, maybe u can look at condos along marine parade road such as Laguna park, laguna green@upper east coast road and Bayshore Park@ bayshore road, very near to east coast park.
It'll be quite the walk to bars or restaurants from any of those condos. There are a lot of older smaller places above the store fronts on East Coast Rd you can look at. Roughly between Siglap and Jalan Jamal (where the Starbucks is). That's still 1km to the closest underpass to the beach though.

Or, look for condos around the vicinity of i12 Katong (a mall at East Coast Rd and Joo Chiat). A lot more bars and restaurants there, and they're much more lively. Beach is half KM straight south, with the underpass right there.