Singapore Expats

malaysian getting singapore pr

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
happyheart

malaysian getting singapore pr

Post by happyheart » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:35 pm

i am a singaporean (24 years old), a degree holder. my boyfriend (28 years old)is a malaysian who have been working in singapore for 3 plus years with work permit, but different company. he have only worked for 1 year in this current company. we will only be filing for tax assessment this coming March/April (for 2012). as before, our salary is too low to file. currently i am earning $1900 and he is earning $1700. so we will only be having 1 year of tax assessment. we plan to ROM this year in May, and will apply Singapore PR for him after our ROM. after his PR is successful then we will apply for a hdb flat. he is now waiting for his basic theory test on April and once pass, will convert his malaysian licence to sg licence, does it help much for him getting a PR in sg? im worried because we dont earn high salary and he do not have much education qualification, and we do not have children yet. :( and i read alot of post online that Singapore PR is not easy to get nowadays. how high is our chance of getting a PR for him? and what should we look out for when we apply?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:43 pm

Honestly speaking? Not very good, I'm afraid. You salary isn't sufficient to support him, should he lose his job. The government will be looking hard at that. Good luck, though I think you are going to need a lot more than luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

happyheart

Post by happyheart » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 2:10 pm

what should we do then? how much our salary should reach before we apply for PR?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 2:31 pm

happyheart wrote:what should we do then? how much our salary should reach before we apply for PR?
Malaysian Chinese or Malay?

I think $2800 is the magic number.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 3:48 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Malaysian Chinese or Malay?
Yeah, that was going to be my 'elephant in the room' question too...
Be careful what you wish for

happyheart

Post by happyheart » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 4:01 pm

malaysian chinese.. should we go to MP for help? or we try to apply, rejected then go to MP for help? though i know high chances will get rejected lah.. :cry:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 5:07 pm

happyheart wrote:malaysian chinese.. should we go to MP for help? or we try to apply, rejected then go to MP for help? though i know high chances will get rejected lah.. :cry:
Won't do any good to go to the MP before you are rejected as you won't have any complaint. Truth be know, it won't do any good to go after either unless your MP just happens to be the Minister for ICA and even then it's rather doubtful, but at least then you will have a legit sob story.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

happyheart

Post by happyheart » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:09 am

I know not easy.. So we are now trying to work very hard. Our pay are now 2k but i guess it's not enough yet.

Recently his sister told me that Malaysia does not allow their citizens to hold 2 countries passport. Is it true? If my boyfriend one day really gets Singapore PR, does it means that he have to give up his Malaysia passport/citizenship?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:36 am

happyheart wrote:I know not easy.. So we are now trying to work very hard. Our pay are now 2k but i guess it's not enough yet.

Recently his sister told me that Malaysia does not allow their citizens to hold 2 countries passport. Is it true? If my boyfriend one day really gets Singapore PR, does it means that he have to give up his Malaysia passport/citizenship?
Yes it is true. He has to renounce after he gets approved for Singapore citizenship. But why worry about that now? Worry about the PR bit first.

I would like to suggest to him to apply PR on his own under PTS but from your first few posts, his profile doesn't seem good either :-|

Maybe stay married for 3 years, get a baby and get LTVP+ for him? In the meantime he must hang on to his current work pass.

happyheart

Post by happyheart » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:12 pm

Oh.. i get it know.. so if he gets PR, he can still hold malaysia citizenship.. it's only when he gets approved for Singapore Citizenship then he needs to give up his Malaysia citizenship..
Being a Singapore PR, will he be issue with Singapore passport or just blue IC?
Ya.. In the meanwhile he is still working with his work permit and hope to get to higher pay as we goes along...
Not easy road for us to set up family in Singapore with our status now.. Cant afford housing too.. With him holding work permit, unable to apply for HDB flat also..

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:17 pm

I do not understand these things even by now: what if you do not renounce your citizenship in Malaysia, what will happen? Fine? Jail? Or like in some other countries: when you are in that country and one of your citizenships is of that country, you are considered to be a citizen of that country ONLY, and no other citizen.
Same with Singapore - what will happen if you have 2 citizenships? You will be taxed twice, that is all?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:20 pm

happyheart wrote:Oh.. i get it know.. so if he gets PR, he can still hold malaysia citizenship.. it's only when he gets approved for Singapore Citizenship then he needs to give up his Malaysia citizenship..
Being a Singapore PR, will he be issue with Singapore passport or just blue IC?

Of course no Singapore passport la! It is for Singapore citizens. So yes, blue IC.

Ya.. In the meanwhile he is still working with his work permit and hope to get to higher pay as we goes along...
Not easy road for us to set up family in Singapore with our status now.. Cant afford housing too.. With him holding work permit, unable to apply for HDB flat also..

Don't worry. There have been avenues step up for families with Singaporean babies. Once you have it, or you hit many years in your marriage, it should be easier.

And what's so great about HDB? The cost has gone nowhere but up and once you start financing for one, it is like having shackles around your neck for good part of your life. And there is no sense of permanence after all those years and the money. I'd still rent if I were you. Or stay with parents for a while. And wait for the property bubble to burst.

Don't mind my comment. It is easier for me to say this because I'm a single working adult, and I personally think trying to get a property, either HDB or private, is really a risky move at this time. So don't sweat it.

Last edited by the lynx on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 3:23 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I do not understand these things even by now: what if you do not renounce your citizenship in Malaysia, what will happen? Fine? Jail? Or like in some other countries: when you are in that country and one of your citizenships is of that country, you are considered to be a citizen of that country ONLY, and no other citizen.
Same with Singapore - what will happen if you have 2 citizenships? You will be taxed twice, that is all?
Singapore won't give you citizenship until you have something from your embassy showing you've renounced or at least started the process.

Every country is different in how aggressively they enforce this though. Look at some of the dual-citizen / NS Defaulter topics in the "strictly speaking" forum for more details on what Singapore does.