Singapore Expats

HR professional : Seek Help

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
hrprof1985

HR professional : Seek Help

Post by hrprof1985 » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:02 am

Dear All,

My subject line is a give away w.r.t the content however I do request you to take some time amidst your schedules and render your invaluable advise:

I am an Hr Professional with 5+ years of work exp across multiple geographies (India,Africa & Singapore). Albeit my work locaiton was always India for all these years, I have been responsible for the transitioning and setting up of HR for Africa; managing workforce based out of different geogrpahies while being based at India...a typical Offshore -Onsite model of Shared Services along with Coprorate HR role for India.

I have been lucky (after a wait of 3 tough months) to secure employment at a local company..however I have to confess am looking for a change...am currently on an EP...My questions:

1) Considering the last changes to policies..is there any remote possibility of securing a change in HR while on EP..

2) What would be the best route if I had to give a try...I have tried job portals /consultants...but luck is just not on my side!!!! I receive a response we will get back to you or after they approach me first and I response with my VISA status there is a dead silence....phew!!!

I would be really looking forward to your response (considering human tendency...positive response is great but a reality check will be best :-|

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: HR professional : Seek Help

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 5:24 pm

hrprof1985 wrote:Dear All,

My subject line is a give away w.r.t the content however I do request you to take some time amidst your schedules and render your invaluable advise:

I am an Hr Professional with 5+ years of work exp across multiple geographies (India,Africa & Singapore). Albeit my work locaiton was always India for all these years, I have been responsible for the transitioning and setting up of HR for Africa; managing workforce based out of different geogrpahies while being based at India...a typical Offshore -Onsite model of Shared Services along with Coprorate HR role for India.

I have been lucky (after a wait of 3 tough months) to secure employment at a local company..however I have to confess am looking for a change...am currently on an EP...My questions:

1) Considering the last changes to policies..is there any remote possibility of securing a change in HR while on EP..

2) What would be the best route if I had to give a try...I have tried job portals /consultants...but luck is just not on my side!!!! I receive a response we will get back to you or after they approach me first and I response with my VISA status there is a dead silence....phew!!!

I would be really looking forward to your response (considering human tendency...positive response is great but a reality check will be best :-|
It's not very clear to me from your post as to how long you have actually been working here; perhaps you could clarify on that point. If you've only been here a short time, my honest advice is to stay put and contnue with your exisiting employer until you've notched up a couple of years at least. I say this for three main reasons: First of all, it's only fair (IMO) to repay the efforts that your employer put in to get your EP and enable you to come here. Secondly, if you leave after a short while, you will look like someone who job-hops - personally that's something I find a real turn-off in candidates. Thirdly, you will surely be aware of the anti-foreigner sentiment here and the increasing difficulty of securing employement passes, etc. This is probably why you've been getting the cold shoulder response when potential employers see your current status. Better (IMO) to keep building your experience with your current employer.

Regardless of whether you decide to continue looking for another job now or wait a while, I'd strongly recommend you read this thread and follow the advice given:

LinkedIn - hints - it works even in Singapore

p.s. Just to mention - it's advice you are looking for; advise is a verb.
Be careful what you wish for

hrprof1985

Re: HR professional : Seek Help

Post by hrprof1985 » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 5:49 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
hrprof1985 wrote:Dear All,

It's not very clear to me from your post as to how long you have actually been working here; perhaps you could clarify on that point. If you've only been here a short time, my honest advice is to stay put and contnue with your exisiting employer until you've notched up a couple of years at least. I say this for three main reasons: First of all, it's only fair (IMO) to repay the efforts that your employer put in to get your EP and enable you to come here. Secondly, if you leave after a short while, you will look like someone who job-hops - personally that's something I find a real turn-off in candidates. Thirdly, you will surely be aware of the anti-foreigner sentiment here and the increasing difficulty of securing employement passes, etc. This is probably why you've been getting the cold shoulder response when potential employers see your current status. Better (IMO) to keep building your experience with your current employer.

Regardless of whether you decide to continue looking for another job now or wait a while, I'd strongly recommend you read this thread and follow the advice given:

LinkedIn - hints - it works even in Singapore

p.s. Just to mention - it's advice you are looking for; advise is a verb.
HI Mi Amigo,

Thank you for the response.

First : I bit my tongue when I clicked on that submit button since I saw two errors in my post...one which you rightly pointed out and second my spelling for the word geographies :( . Thank you for the note...

Second: I couldn't agree more with you and this is precisely the thought I have in mind as a payback to my Employer (an SME) for his efforts while sponsoring me when the anti-foreign campaign is on an all time high!!! To answer your question I have been working in Singapore now for 6+ months..barring the previous work exp I bring in from other geographies with an MNC. I was on a LTVP....was a nightmare to find a job!! My previous employer has Spore as one of its work locations but there has been a ramp down in business which allowed me not to get a transfer - DAMN LUCK!!!

Now the obvious question, why would I look for a job hop so soon esp when I share same thoughts...its close to about a year when I wish to change over and I really don't want to initiate my hunt when I have touched a year but to start the search or rather get into the act well in advance...might be horribly wrong in my timing but that was may rationale.

Thanks a million for the link....

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 1:18 pm

To the OP - you're an HR professional with 5+ years of experience, so I'm sure you already know why it's not a good idea to jump ship after 6-8 months with an employer who has taken the time and $$ to bring you on board.

I'd be very careful with any job hunting if I were you. I've been an HR recruiter and headhunter for 24 years, and it never ceases to amaze me how news filters out about people looking for jobs, etc. I'm sure you don't want to jeopardize your current situation.

Just hang in there with your present employer, keep your nose to the grindstone and thank your lucky stars you have a job in this economic environment. Hopefully in the next few years things here will be different and you can pound the pavement looking for something new.

natasha009

Post by natasha009 » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:56 am

Hi Hrprof,

Digressing slightly from your query.. but would you like to share your experience on how you landed a job in Singapore?

I'm an HR professional myself, with almost 7 years of HR experience in MNCs and Fortune 500 companies, but given the clamp down on hiring foreigners, have been finding it exceedingly difficult to get responses from recruiters.

I would need an EP to be sponsored as well. Do share your experience.

Cheers.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 6:48 am

Bet you have a masters as well, right? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

natasha009

Post by natasha009 » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:27 am

[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]Bet you have a masters as well, right? :roll:[/quote]

Yes I do..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:45 am

'nuff said as it explains a lot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hrprof1985

Post by hrprof1985 » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:03 pm

natasha009 wrote:Hi Hrprof,

Digressing slightly from your query.. but would you like to share your experience on how you landed a job in Singapore?

I'm an HR professional myself, with almost 7 years of HR experience in MNCs and Fortune 500 companies, but given the clamp down on hiring foreigners, have been finding it exceedingly difficult to get responses from recruiters.

I would need an EP to be sponsored as well. Do share your experience.

Cheers.
Hi Natasha009,

Landing a job in HR in Singapore (for foreigners) surely requires an effort :wink: . I am sure it would be tough for other positions as well...but I surely can vouch for this one.

Reason for saying so is that there are a good number of home grown HR professionals here with Master degree so very obviously one has to think from Employer point of view that why would they want to hire us??....UNTIL we bring something new to the table. That is my takeaway!!!

Regarding how to search...I tired everything...Job portals (Did not yield any result), Consultants (they kept my profile on hold for ages)...basically received no response until I started meeting consultants myself who put me across through a few companies. The consultant just vanished after the first Interview. I chased these Employers and personally went and met them..I found that my step of networking and understanding the HR set up and what is it that they were looking for worked...I was successful in demonstrating to my current employer the gaps I could fill in by my proven experience. I had played a significant role in setting up the HR function which worked well in a short TAT for multiple geographies and my experience of handling diverse workforce previously Clicked!!!!

Not sure about your details..but for trailing spouses (my case) best is to get a transfer via your current company...I had hard luck since my previous company did not have a requirement..else gotto start from scratch!!!! :cry:..

But I'm sure there would be people who would have found better ways to click a job than what I chose... one of which I got to know was the Linkedin way( do check out the post in the above responses)...there are tons of people on this forum who can share their experiences tooo and help!!!

All the Best!!!

natasha009

Post by natasha009 » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 9:58 pm

Hi Hrprof,

Many thanks for your inputs.. Helps getting a perspective.
Will PM you for further queries..