Singapore Expats Forum

Meeting new people (maybe THE ONE)

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Virginie

Meeting new people (maybe THE ONE)

Postby Virginie » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 1:11 pm

My friend wants to join a Speed Dating Event where you can meet 10-20 people in one night. What do you guys think of that? I think it could be a great idea and it's an opportunity to meet new people!

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JustSee » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 1:35 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 8:24 pm

Virginie (a French name), and 'French Touch'. A mere coincidence I'm sure :roll:

Speed dating is rather like blind-dating, the fickleness of the process leads to what I can only describe as a '**** and chuck' mentality. You're never going to show respect to someone who is apparently loser enough to try and meet people that way.

For the record: In my opinion the best way to get yourself hooked-up, is via friends, and also via shared interests/activities.

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JustSee » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:23 pm

I will disagree on that.

I don't see anything wrong with speed dating to meet a person, It's just a matter to meet someone and is not any different from picking someone on the street - difference is you may need a lot more courage and "balls" to do so.

I wouldn't call anyone trying speed dating a loser in any way, after all you do need some cojones to go to an event where everyone is a stranger and converse about yourself, even if it is for a short time.

Just my point of view.
And through friends it might be a good way, but think of the implications in case it might end badly.

Picola

Postby Picola » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 9:39 pm

yea it's a good idea if you wanna meet successful bald guys with zero social skills or really awkward vibes... or fat chicks if u'z a guy.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:02 am

JustSee wrote:I don't see anything wrong with speed dating to meet a person, It's just a matter to meet someone and is not any different from picking someone on the street

And would you or have you ever picked someone up 'on the street'? [yukh!]

JustSee wrote:...Just my point of view.
And through friends it might be a good way, but think of the implications in case it might end badly.

You never consider 'those implications' before it has even possibly started. Plus, your real friends will stand by you.

I don't know if you have done speed-dating, but I have done blind-dating, which is similar although perhaps more terrifying as it is 1-1, and the evening is set-out. I speak from my experience of that.

I imagine if you take speed-dating complete strangers as 'just a laugh' I suppose it might be. But really, despite any promises, I really wouldn't expect anything out of it (bar the proprietors making buckets of money via false promises).

JFrost

Postby JFrost » Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:22 am

I kinda agree with speed-dating mainly having the typical stereotype that can't meet the opposite gender 'normally'.

However, for people who really do, have a small social circle and just cannot reach out there - I know that feel :) it's just that it'll be really up to luck if you meet these genuine ladies/ men that are actually vibrant and fun.

I hate to stereotype, but the above posters do hold truth.

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JustSee » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 7:22 pm

JR8:

If you ever join me and Akimbo for a drink We'll have a chat.

I haven't had a chance to go for speed-dating nor blind dating yet, but hell... I'm willing to give it a try. I always take things with humor and a pinch of salt, even hitting with someone in a club/bar/coffee shop is done with humor and I think that's how it should be.

Regarding the "real friends", you never know where people might stay - sometimes you are newer to that social circle than the one you were set up with and people split down the middle. So you might not think of it up front, but shit does happen.
And besides all that, you can meet the most wonderful people in the crappiest of places.

All the best!