Singapore Expats Forum

Hong Kong girls visiting Singapore for a week

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Ameliajen

Hong Kong girls visiting Singapore for a week

Postby Ameliajen » Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:47 pm

Hi there

This is Jen from Hong Kong. I'll be visiting the city state in March. Is there any interesting activities in town that I can catch up with in the evenings? Or any interesting places that I can visit? I'm very curious about the city as it boasts of a large Chinese population and strict enforcement of law.

Look forward to meeting you there,

Jen

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 8:21 am

Hi Jen,

It depends on what you're trying to find, really. 1 week is a bit too long in my opinion to "discover" Singapore, unless your budget is quite high.

Truthfully I feel that Singapore doesn't have anything much (free or cheap) to do in the day time. Except for the museums and some cultural heritage.

At night, well...there's only bars and clubs, and I guess the Night Safari.

I bet that you can already finish all the touristy spots inc. some bars in about 3 days.

If you're looking for evening events...when exactly are you coming again?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

jingtzer

Postby jingtzer » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:36 am

yeah singapore is actually quite small =)

but can definitely grab a few pints

hi akimbo... new in town !

nice meeting. JT here.

yeah when are u guys down?

keep me updated!!

jingtzer@gmail.com
Life's Short. We should meet all the fun ppl in the world! and i mean ALL!!! *rAwr!!!*

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:43 am

jingtzer wrote:yeah singapore is actually quite small =)

nice meeting. JT here.

keep me updated!!

jingtzer@gmail.com

New in town? One of your posts said that you're already 5 months in Singapore. What do you mean new? :lol:

I'm almost always down every weekend. What I hate from this sub-forum so much is all the "Hey I'm blah blah blah blah, if you're interested, come contact me." Even though there are plenty of other threads (such as mine ;) ) that offer different kinds of meetups every weekend or even lunches.

Instead of waiting for somebody to come and get you, why not just join the ones before, or even make your own, you know? :cool:
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

jingtzer

Postby jingtzer » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:03 pm

5 months not new? some of u been here for years!!! :p

where are you down in the weekends?
Life's Short. We should meet all the fun ppl in the world! and i mean ALL!!! *rAwr!!!*

jingtzer

Postby jingtzer » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:24 pm

or rather i dont have much time to enjoy!! lol...

what do you do Akimbo?

JustSee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby JustSee » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:39 pm

JT and Akimbo,

Don't hijack the girl's thread!

Anyway... Hi Jen, I do not hold the same opinion as Adji does... you can actually tour Singapore on a decent budget.

I suggest you check on: Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay sands - Ku De Ta (Just for the view), Universal Studios, Sentosa, Harbor front, Orchard road, the zoo if you want, Singapore Arts Museum (SAM), SAM88, Chinatown, Art science museum, St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Merlion Park, Asian Civilizations Museum, Esplande theaters - They have a rooftop bar with nice views.

This is what I have from the top of my head... And yes, As Akimbo will pop here and say that some of the things here cost money, they do but you don't have to go insane with drinks at Ku De Ta and just go there for the view, Sentosa you can just walk around there... It's free to look :)

If you have any questions do let me know.
All the best,
Ilia.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:43 pm

If you're already here for more than 2 months, you're not new anymore, buddy. I see and meet lots that were only here for 1 week, 2 weeks, and a month. Now I've seen them for around a year.

I've been in Singapore for 2 years goin on my 3rd now, but only started socializing by this forum and then FB for almost a year.

What I do?

It's something that is interesting enough for me to realize what I actually aspire to do, and earn slightly lower than minimum wage of my position to live in Singapore and also save some money as well as having fun with my crew. Still my very first job though.

Where do I go for weekends? Normally central-south area. Seldomly on the extreme north, east or west of SG. I welcome new faces. Heck, I sometimes join new groups just to mix things up a bit.

Edit:

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen you here, Just See... :lol: and yeah, ameliajen, sorry for somewhat hijacking your thread. The places that Just See mentioned are the usual spots which is great for you to visit.

jingtzer

Postby jingtzer » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 1:43 pm

dont worry guys!!!
i guess everyone has different definitions of the measurements of duration and places to visit.

why not tomorrow 7pm, meet at clarke quay starbucks then we go hunt for a few pints =)

up for it??? anyone?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hong Kong girls visiting Singapore for a week

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 2:58 pm

Ameliajen wrote:Hi there

This is Jen from Hong Kong. I'll be visiting the city state in March. Is there any interesting activities in town that I can catch up with in the evenings? Or any interesting places that I can visit? I'm very curious about the city as it boasts of a large Chinese population and strict enforcement of law.

Jen

and are you terrified about the strict law ? ?:D

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/tr ... ience.html

That's a glimpse of Singapore ..

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 3:01 pm

It's getting OOT from ameliajen's thread...okay, to make it slightly straight again.

"Decent budget" as according to what Just See said is true, depends on what you want to see and what kind of budget do you have. Most of what he has mentioned will cost somewhere from free (Chinatown) to $10 (SAM) to $30 (Art Science Museum) for entry.

Locations such as Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Orchard, Merlion Park are free to enter, but of course if you want to have drinks there, that'd be a different story (except for Merlion Park) to be somewhere around $12 a pint to $25 for a cocktail.

If you want a tour on the Chinese heritage of Singapore, I'd suggest going to the Asian Civilization Museum or National Museum (check for the current exhibits first though, might not be of Chinese history)

But of course, you can definitely go for Chinatown and follow the tour there. There's Secrets of the Red Lantern tour (cost around $30) Red Clogs Down the Five-Foot-Way tour ($30) which would take you around the Chinatown area and go through the (slightly) old streets of the old heritage. You gotta book them first though, and they only have each of the tours once a week (Red lantern on Fridays, Red Clogs Tuesdays)

You can try looking at this.

http://www.city-discovery.com/singapore/chinatown

And lastly, if you want the "true" Chinese culture of Singapore, I'd suggest go down to a local hawker stands every single night and observe as well as listen to the different "aunties" and "uncles" who's going to be all around you and also serving you.

~~~~~~~~~~

JT, sorry, I can't do 7 pm tomorrow. I might be okay with hanging out at 930 arnd CQ. I might leave before 11 though.

PS please post this in another thread, instead of hijacking the girl's. I'm sure the posters and mods would appreciate that :wink:

Ameliajen

Hi

Postby Ameliajen » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:04 pm

Akimbo wrote:Hi Jen,

It depends on what you're trying to find, really. 1 week is a bit too long in my opinion to "discover" Singapore, unless your budget is quite high.

Truthfully I feel that Singapore doesn't have anything much (free or cheap) to do in the day time. Except for the museums and some cultural heritage.

At night, well...there's only bars and clubs, and I guess the Night Safari.

I bet that you can already finish all the touristy spots inc. some bars in about 3 days.

If you're looking for evening events...when exactly are you coming again?

Hi Akimbo (what an interesting name), thx for your reply! And u raised a very good question. I actually come here with a coworker for biz, so we only have time to explore the city in the evenings. I will check out the Night Safari. :)

Ameliajen

Hi

Postby Ameliajen » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:06 pm

jingtzer wrote:yeah singapore is actually quite small =)

nice meeting. JT here.

keep me updated!!

jingtzer@gmail.com

Hi Jingtzer, unfortunately I'm newer than you. Keep me posted if you guys wanna meet up. My watsapp is +852 62258934

Ameliajen

Re: Hong Kong girls visiting Singapore for a week

Postby Ameliajen » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Ameliajen wrote:Hi there

Jen

and are you terrified about the strict law ? ?:D

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/tr ... ience.html

That's a glimpse of Singapore ..

Hi ecureilx, thx for the link. Seems the nightlife there is quite exciting.

I heard the strict legal punishment doesn't apply to westerners. Local people hate the system. Is it true?

Ameliajen

Postby Ameliajen » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:20 pm

JustSee wrote:JT and Akimbo,

Don't hijack the girl's thread!

Anyway... Hi Jen, I do not hold the same opinion as Adji does... you can actually tour Singapore on a decent budget.

I suggest you check on: Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay sands - Ku De Ta (Just for the view), Universal Studios, Sentosa, Harbor front, Orchard road, the zoo if you want, Singapore Arts Museum (SAM), SAM88, Chinatown, Art science museum, St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay, Merlion Park, Asian Civilizations Museum, Esplande theaters - They have a rooftop bar with nice views.

This is what I have from the top of my head... And yes, As Akimbo will pop here and say that some of the things here cost money, they do but you don't have to go insane with drinks at Ku De Ta and just go there for the view, Sentosa you can just walk around there... It's free to look :)

If you have any questions do let me know.
All the best,
Ilia.

Hi Ilia, thx for your kind suggestions, haha. I'm very interested in Marina Bay and Universal Studio. Our Disneyland is already too small. Have no idea what the US would look like in Singapre. ;P I also hope to visit Sentosa for the underwater world.