Singapore Expats Forum
 

What do people miss about their country of origin?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 899
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Re: What do people miss about their country of origin?

Post by Splatted » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 8:34 pm

Splatted wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Splatted wrote: wrong.. you can find vegemite. I'm certain I've seen it somewhere very recently in one of the major supermarkets.. (possibly AMK hub? can't remember where it was I saw it)
I've seen marmite but not vegemite from kraft foods, i love both vegemite and cheesy vegemite but I've never managed to find cheesy vegemite here :(
i buy 2 large jars from australia whenever I go there.
definitely can find cheesy vegemite.. saw it at cold storage united square
also, I just downloaded the cold storage app. Apparently they (select stores? ) stock the regular vegemite too in 220g and 400g sizes

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: What do people miss about their country of origin?

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 9:22 pm

WanWanWan wrote: We aren't sure if chili con carne, or camembert, are easily available, and we are pretty sure lamingtons or Vegemite will be permanently out of the question.
I must have missed this OP. I think you need to get a bit of perspective and take on board that you're moving to a small country with lots of expats from around the world, rather than moving to some remote planet.

You'll find Chili-c-c in restaurants. You can also get all the ingredient, and it is a simple dish to cook.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228 ... -con-carne
(This is going to be a top-notch version I'm sure; you could find a simpler recipe if you're newish to cooking, maybe try www.food.com or Google for one).

Camembert, of course it's available. Cold Storage.

p.s. I even found a canned version of Chili-c-c stocked at Cold Storage...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37176
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 10:21 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: what is this ball of mud you speak of ? :?
You stick it in a small pipe/bong. :cool:

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 10:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: what is this ball of mud you speak of ? :?
You stick it in a small pipe/bong. :cool:
:cry:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

amariem
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 4:42 am

Post by amariem » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 2:33 am

I miss Mexican food. I ordered some nachos at a "Mexican" restaurant on 6th Ave and they were terrible. Not even close to being Mexican.

Seriously, if anyone wanted to open a real authentic Mexican restaurant here I bet it would do good business.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 5:26 am

amariem wrote:I miss Mexican food. I ordered some nachos at a "Mexican" restaurant on 6th Ave and they were terrible. Not even close to being Mexican.

Seriously, if anyone wanted to open a real authentic Mexican restaurant here I bet it would do good business.
Cafe Iguana on Clarke Quay is pretty good Mexican food. Not Texmex but still decent.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 7:28 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
amariem wrote:I miss Mexican food. I ordered some nachos at a "Mexican" restaurant on 6th Ave and they were terrible. Not even close to being Mexican.

Seriously, if anyone wanted to open a real authentic Mexican restaurant here I bet it would do good business.
Cafe Iguana on Clarke Quay is pretty good Mexican food. Not Texmex but still decent.
+1 - and coincidentally enough, I had really good Mexican last night, in of all places, the Arab Street area.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 7:33 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
amariem wrote:I miss Mexican food. I ordered some nachos at a "Mexican" restaurant on 6th Ave and they were terrible. Not even close to being Mexican.

Seriously, if anyone wanted to open a real authentic Mexican restaurant here I bet it would do good business.
Cafe Iguana on Clarke Quay is pretty good Mexican food. Not Texmex but still decent.
It is good, above average even by US-Mexican standard, but not mind blowing except the price. The "taco platter" there is about $30sgd. Yes, the same one with four small tacos you'd get at any taqueria in California (or most of the US I imagine) for $5-6usd.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 2:01 pm

I miss family

I miss taking a bath but that was my choice not to rent an apartment here with a bath tub.

That's it, the UK has nothing else I desire

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:21 pm

Post by alittlerisky » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 2:14 pm

Steve1960 wrote: That's it, the UK has nothing else I desire
Hear f*****g f*****g hear.

I only lived there for 14 years before I worked out that it's terrible. Haven't been back since 2005 I think.

Mr Risky

(edited to correct my lack to typing skills)
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 08 Mar 2013 2:20 pm

I miss family

I miss taking a bath but that was my choice not to rent an apartment here with a bath tub.

That's it, the UK has nothing else I desire

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sat, 09 Mar 2013 1:26 am

England:

Country girls with rosy cheeks (;-))
Proper beer
Rough shooting
Quality food
Pubs
Politeness, as default



@ ALR. Yah, you hated it so much it took you a mere 14 years to leave ah? lol... oh yes, that makes sense.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 09 Mar 2013 10:13 am

JR8 wrote:England:
Country girls with rosy cheeks (;-))
Proper beer
Quality food
Pubs
Politeness, as default
btw i found some proper Aussie beers [ not fosters] and a proper pub with proper live rock music :wink:
The thing is I'm going to shut up about it. I don't want to ruin this sanctuary I've managed to find.
I'm not a fan of killing things but I will agree with you about everything else you've listed.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 09 Mar 2013 10:15 am

alittlerisky wrote:
Steve1960 wrote: That's it, the UK has nothing else I desire
Hear f*****g f*****g hear.

I only lived there for 14 years before I worked out that it's terrible. Haven't been back since 2005 I think.

Mr Risky

(edited to correct my lack to typing skills)
I'm curious to know why the UK is a terrible place? surely the home of football, pub, some great music bands and countryside can't be a bad place to live?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 09 Mar 2013 2:48 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
alittlerisky wrote:
Steve1960 wrote: That's it, the UK has nothing else I desire
Hear f*****g f*****g hear.

I only lived there for 14 years before I worked out that it's terrible. Haven't been back since 2005 I think.

Mr Risky

(edited to correct my lack to typing skills)
I'm curious to know why the UK is a terrible place? surely the home of football, pub, some great music bands and countryside can't be a bad place to live?
The words 'chip' and 'shoulder' spring to mind. :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests