Singapore Expats

What do people miss about their country of origin?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Tsilivi
Regular
Regular

Post by Tsilivi » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:36 pm

Greggs cheese and onion pasties and a good ol' pork pie. Sigh.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 3:02 pm

I miss SKY TV and banter with taxi drivers.......

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 3:11 pm

I miss cheaper (and more delicious) food, cheaper booze, and splendid choice of beautiful beaches and islands.

:(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 3:18 pm

Actually, in addition to hunting duck, goose, squirrel, rabbit & deer, I miss Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 3:41 pm

the lynx wrote:I miss cheaper (and more delicious) food, cheaper booze, and splendid choice of beautiful beaches and islands.

You're just showing off!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 3:50 pm

BillyB wrote:
the lynx wrote:I miss cheaper (and more delicious) food, cheaper booze, and splendid choice of beautiful beaches and islands.

You're just showing off!
To be fair, those above are not far from your reach. Just a short flight away.

Who wants a bottle of Jack Daniel's for only MYR60? That's duty-free zone in Malaysia for you.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 4:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, in addition to hunting duck, goose, squirrel, rabbit & deer, I miss Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs!
Watch out ecureilx and nutnut! :o
Be careful what you wish for

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 4:54 pm

the lynx wrote:
BillyB wrote:

You're just showing off!

Who wants a bottle of Jack Daniel's for only MYR60? That's duty-free zone in Malaysia for you.
Not from the UK (well, other than cheap booze)!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 4:59 pm

I miss lazing in the park on a (cool but comfortable) Sunday afternoon with tea and biscuits and Test Match Special (international cricket, for the uninitaited) on the portable radio.

I miss snug afternoons at home with the fire roaring when it's cold and stormy outside.

I miss going to a proper pub and drinking decent beer with friends in unpretentious but welcoming surroundings.

I miss the museums and galleries in London.

I miss strolling along the Thames embankment and finding some obscure historical artifact along the way.

I miss the Cornish coastline.

I miss driving out of London in a vague direction and ending up in a part of the countryside I didn't know before.

I miss being able to have meaningful, non-trivial conversations with my neighbours.
Be careful what you wish for

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 5:07 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:I miss lazing in the park on a (cool but comfortable) Sunday afternoon with tea and biscuits and Test Match Special (international cricket, for the uninitaited) on the portable radio.

I miss snug afternoons at home with the fire roaring when it's cold and stormy outside.

I miss going to a proper pub and drinking decent beer with friends in unpretentious but welcoming surroundings.

I miss the museums and galleries in London.

I miss strolling along the Thames embankment and finding some obscure historical artifact along the way.

I miss the Cornish coastline.

I miss driving out of London in a vague direction and ending up in a part of the countryside I didn't know before.

I miss being able to have meaningful, non-trivial conversations with my neighbours.
Well, I know for the non-trivial conversations with neighbours will be a challenging mission here, if you're lucky they will entertain you, if not, a blank stare plus a grumpy face is waiting for you (even from fellow foreigner - or may be because I don't look like one, so they tend to give me that "special look").

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 5:15 pm

BillyB wrote:
the lynx wrote:
BillyB wrote: You're just showing off!

You do know I'm talking about 'going from Singapore', don't you? 8-)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 6:03 pm

the lynx wrote:
BillyB wrote:
the lynx wrote: To be fair, those above are not far from your reach. Just a short flight away.

You do know I'm talking about 'going from Singapore', don't you? 8-)
Loud and clear! And you do know I'm referencing the UK in response?!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 2:41 pm

i miss neighbors who don't freak out on pets

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 3:04 pm

Barnsley wrote:Going to the football ...

Its not easy following a non-Premier League team in Singapore.
Sadly I didnt even realise my team had a game last night :(

The good news is that we won , however, I am missing watching our perennial fight against relegation in the flesh!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 4:24 pm

I've been totally disconnected to football match and basketball games since I live in Singapore, miss the match/games, the discussion with friends and the fun. :(
Back home can always watch almost every match/games (for free on TV), and if go for live match/games, the audience totally awesome, you always can talk to the person sit next to you, unlike here, if you create certain "noise" be ready to received a special "glare". :(