Singapore Expats

Tenancy Agreement: Limit on aircon usage

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
chronoel

Tenancy Agreement: Limit on aircon usage

Post by chronoel » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:40 pm

Hi, just want to consult with you guys if the landlord/owner is allowed to limit our aircon usage even if it's not stated in the contract.

I mean it's ok for us to limit the usage but she's limiting it to an exaggeratedly few hours only.

Does she have the right to do that?

P.S. In the contract it only states the landlord will pay for the electricity.

Thanks in advance for your advises.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 1:55 pm

No. That's bizarre. It's also odd that LL is paying electricity. Would suggest you separate that or you will have a never-ending series of battles ahead.

Unless you're just renting a room?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 2:00 pm

she may not have a right to limit your use if it's not explicitly stated...

just like how she has a right to remove/disable the air-con in your room if it's not explicitly stated in your contract that a/c will be provided/included.

play nice or move out.

you could tell her that a few hours is not possible for you and come to a compromise (singaporeans tend to think a few hours a night is sufficient but i don't think so).

if that's not possible, then ask to pay a little bit more for use of a/c on the terms you like.

chronoel

Post by chronoel » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 2:15 pm

thanks for your replies.

the contract states something like servicing/maintenance of air-conditioning unit is on the landlord.

should that be enough to say that air-conditioning is part of our agreement?

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 2:44 pm

Are you renting the whole place, or just a room while the LL still lives in the place too?
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

chronoel

Post by chronoel » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 3:04 pm

we're renting a room and the landlord is not living in the house

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 6:37 pm

taxico wrote:she may not have a right to limit your use if it's not explicitly stated...

just like how she has a right to remove/disable the air-con in your room if it's not explicitly stated in your contract that a/c will be provided/included.

play nice or move out.
I don't have walls explicitly stated in my contract. Should I be afraid that if I don't play nice the allmighty LL will come and remove them?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 7:10 pm

Can you explain why this is a problem to/for you.

Do you want to run air-con for 10hrs a night, and the Tenancy Agreement says 'no more than 5'.

With this basic concept of the apparent problem, the discussion might proceed.

Otherwise, we're all flying rather blind.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 9:08 pm

x9200 wrote:
taxico wrote:she may not have a right to limit your use if it's not explicitly stated...

play nice or move out.
I don't have walls explicitly stated in my contract. Should I be afraid that if I don't play nice the allmighty LL will come and remove them?
yeah, but we don't know what the original tenancy included - unlimited use of a/c, no use of a/c or just some use of a/c. and if some use allowed, how much?

IMO, some use is better than no use. saying that the landlord will have to maintain the a/c is not the same as stating that a/c use is included.

walls can't be "removed" and its removal will make the room/property not fit for use. removing a lawn chair or fan (that was not originally included or agreed upon) is okay.

but i know landlords that have removed the fan coil units and stored them in a room... because they can be turned on even without the remote.

cutting off the plug was useless as the tenants got their own plug and re-connected the power to have a/c.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 9:54 pm

So how is the LL supposed to know how many hours it's being used?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 9:59 pm

taxico wrote:
x9200 wrote:

play nice or move out.
yeah, but we don't know what the original tenancy included - unlimited use of a/c, no use of a/c or just some use of a/c. and if some use allowed, how much?

Yep, I completely agree and that's why I think we should be careful suggesting be nice or move out :) If the LL is in breech and what OP wrote was:

I mean it's ok for us to limit the usage but she's limiting it to an exaggeratedly few hours only.

Does she have the right to do that?

It does not sound like seeking for an agreement but more like arbitrary action. Not nice IMO if true.

IMO, some use is better than no use. saying that the landlord will have to maintain the a/c is not the same as stating that a/c use is included.

walls can't be "removed" and its removal will make the room/property not fit for use. removing a lawn chair or fan (that was not originally included or agreed upon) is okay.

This would depend on what is rented. For the whole flat some partition walls can be removed, so some door, a sink in the guest or maids toilets etc... Aircon typically goes to the inventory list and I have never seen any TA explicitly mentioning that it can be used. Technically what is in the inventory does not make it automatically to be permitted for use so apparently there is some assumption in place. IMO if OP had a working aircon within his rented room at the time it was handed over to him there was no need for any additional clause to permit him to use it. I would expect if it's not to be used, this should be stated in TA. My gut feeling.

but i know landlords that have removed the fan coil units and stored them in a room... because they can be turned on even without the remote.

cutting off the plug was useless as the tenants got their own plug and re-connected the power to have a/c.

Sounds very weird to me. If there are restriction they should be covered in TA.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:43 am

Despite growing up in this climate, I hated the heat. Not coming from a well to do family however, I rarely had the luxury of experiencing the magic that is A/C during my early years. The past decade living in Japan was a godsend, beautiful weather 3/4 of the year, and the wonder that is A/C during the other 1/4.

Now that I'm back here again, the heat and humidity is intolerable. My family let me leave the A/C on every night for the first couple of months because, I wouldn't have been able to sleep otherwise. But their generosity did not last and complaints about the power bill and how A/C is bad for health and all that other bullshit started coming soon after.

Now the A/C must be off by 3am.

I wake up 30 minutes later as the room begins to warm up and have a hell of a time going back to sleep.

If your LL won't let you have the A/C on, move on. Don't waste time arguing or fighting, just get out, take your money elsewhere.

How much do I hate the heat?

I consider tonight uncomfortably warm.

Usually, I usually sleep in nothing but a pair of very loose shorts, with the A/C set at 22 degrees. No blankets. I've survived the winter in Sendai with nothing but a long-sleeve t-shirt and 3/4 shorts.

I like it cold.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 7:35 am

iamsen wrote:Despite growing up in this climate, I hated the heat. Not coming from a well to do family however, I rarely had the luxury of experiencing the magic that is A/C during my early years. The past decade living in Japan was a godsend, beautiful weather 3/4 of the year, and the wonder that is A/C during the other 1/4.

Now that I'm back here again, the heat and humidity is intolerable. My family let me leave the A/C on every night for the first couple of months because, I wouldn't have been able to sleep otherwise. But their generosity did not last and complaints about the power bill and how A/C is bad for health and all that other bullshit started coming soon after.

Now the A/C must be off by 3am.

I wake up 30 minutes later as the room begins to warm up and have a hell of a time going back to sleep.

If your LL won't let you have the A/C on, move on. Don't waste time arguing or fighting, just get out, take your money elsewhere.

How much do I hate the heat?

I consider tonight uncomfortably warm.

Usually, I usually sleep in nothing but a pair of very loose shorts, with the A/C set at 22 degrees. No blankets. I've survived the winter in Sendai with nothing but a long-sleeve t-shirt and 3/4 shorts.

I like it cold.
Do you contribute towards the electric bills?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 8:56 am

Brah wrote: Do you contribute towards the electric bills?
Good point.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 1:11 pm

We use the AC for our kid, @27, small room, 8-12h a day/night. This adds up probably ~S$100 to the bill but 22 is kind of extreme (S$200-300 depending on the room size?).
Slightly off topic, iamsen, If you are saying you sleep at 22 practically naked and not covered with anything and you are a local guy brought up in this climate, maybe you should visit a doctor? Thyroid problems or something?