Singapore Expats Forum

anyone in Singapore dealing with migraines?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.

sugarsnow

anyone in Singapore dealing with migraines?

Postby sugarsnow » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 2:04 pm

I've been treated for migraines in usa for years before moving here and I usually take prescription triptan medicines for example eletriptan, since arriving here we visited 2 drs to get more medicine, since I ran out, and have only been given normal pain killers and some caffeine pills. Which of course do nothing. Is there anyone who can tell me where to go to get the right medication in Singapore?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 2:21 pm

I'm afraid it's a disaster here. Everything strong enough is banned. Even after surgery they gave me panadol to convince myself that the pain is gone.

There is more choice in Johor though.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 5:22 pm

Hmm saw your post and thought I might be able to contribute - but of course I use the Cafergot (caffine pills) prescribed here for migraines.

But (contrary to Sergei82) I also have a selection on Arcoxia and Tramadol from my various surgeries to help the Cafergot do its thing...usually a nights rest and the pills will kick my migraines to the curb.

The other thing to consider is why you get migraines...I am much more prone to them in Singapore if I dont drink 2L+ of water a day. And I grind my teeth at night, so a toothguard helps with that.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 5:46 pm

They sell Tramadol here??? In my country it is regulated as heroin.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 8:11 pm

Sergei82 wrote:They sell Tramadol here??? In my country it is regulated as heroin.

yup. and it's cheap!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: anyone in Singapore dealing with migraines?

Postby taxico » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 8:15 pm

sugarsnow wrote:...since arriving here we visited 2 drs to get more medicine, since I ran out, and have only been given normal pain killers and some caffeine pills. Which of course do nothing. Is there anyone who can tell me where to go to get the right medication in Singapore?

visit a neurologist with your doctor's notes/summaries. or go to a walk-in clinic located within a hospital that will have access to it.

TekSeng

Postby TekSeng » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:53 pm

I have always thought of drugs and surgeries to be sort of a last resort when it came to treating my migraines. Seems a bit extreme, and i have always sought some sort of alternative remedies and options.
I found this article on Migraines helpful:
http://www.paramountchiro.org/ARTICLES_/Migraines___Tension_Headaches/migraines___tension_headaches.html

Regardless of what works best for you, make sure you do your own research, and always get 2nd and 3rd opinions before taking more permanent measures to treat your migraines.
Tek Seng / Funds Administrator

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 3:46 pm

TekSeng wrote:I have always thought of drugs and surgeries to be sort of a last resort when it came to treating my migraines. Seems a bit extreme, and i have always sought some sort of alternative remedies and options...

Regardless of what works best for you, make sure you do your own research, and always get 2nd and 3rd opinions before taking more permanent measures to treat your migraines.

headaches and migraines have been around for thousands and thousands of years, with plenty of folk/home remedies available.

but for some people, medication works better/works very well in controlling migraines.

you've obviously not suffered from severe migraine. it's quite debilitating.

snugget

Re: anyone in Singapore dealing with migraines?

Postby snugget » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:47 am

sugarsnow wrote:I've been treated for migraines in usa for years before moving here and I usually take prescription triptan medicines for example eletriptan, since arriving here we visited 2 drs to get more medicine, since I ran out, and have only been given normal pain killers and some caffeine pills. Which of course do nothing. Is there anyone who can tell me where to go to get the right medication in Singapore?

You might want to see a neurologist if your migraines are bad. They are best suited to access your headaches and can prescribe the RIGHT medication for your. There are alot of different types of pain and neuro-receptors and different drugs to target them.

Dr Adrian Tan a neurologist in MT E can help you: http://adriantanky.com/ or
Dr Ho King Hee.

NO SOLICITATIONS -moderator