Singapore Expats

Dependant Pass - In-principle

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
naylera

Dependant Pass - In-principle

Post by naylera » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 5:44 pm

Hi
I made a postal application for a Dependent Pass. I received the In-principle approval letter. I went to mom to get my pass and needed another company stamp so didnt complete or pay and get the card. Now my husband will extend his EP. I have two questions which I cannot find the answers to on the mom/gov sites.

1. Once my husband has extended his EP and I go to get my DP card will it automatically be valid for his renewed expiry date of his pass?

2. Can I leave and return to Singapore with an in-principle letter for a Dependant Pass or will I still need a return flight to my home country?

Until my last return to Singapore I have never been asked about a return flight. I have come in from Hong Kong Bangkok JB Batam Bintan and UK. This is the first time I have been as asked for my return ticket, which I had as had moved date of a return flight some months previously. I did not think about my DP in-principle and wondered if this would have been accpeted as entry if I didnt have a return flight. I was returning to Singapore with Qantas. I know of two other people who had the same question raised by Qantas but they both had a Dependant pass.

Thanks.

colio
Regular
Regular

Re: Dependant Pass - In-principle

Post by colio » Mon, 11 Mar 2013 9:33 pm

naylera wrote:Hi
I made a postal application for a Dependent Pass. I received the In-principle approval letter. I went to mom to get my pass and needed another company stamp so didnt complete or pay and get the card. Now my husband will extend his EP. I have two questions which I cannot find the answers to on the mom/gov sites.

1. Once my husband has extended his EP and I go to get my DP card will it automatically be valid for his renewed expiry date of his pass?

2. Can I leave and return to Singapore with an in-principle letter for a Dependant Pass or will I still need a return flight to my home country?

Until my last return to Singapore I have never been asked about a return flight. I have come in from Hong Kong Bangkok JB Batam Bintan and UK. This is the first time I have been as asked for my return ticket, which I had as had moved date of a return flight some months previously. I did not think about my DP in-principle and wondered if this would have been accpeted as entry if I didnt have a return flight. I was returning to Singapore with Qantas. I know of two other people who had the same question raised by Qantas but they both had a Dependant pass.

Thanks.
Hi Naylera

I have to admit I'm pretty new to this but I did a bunch of research on the topic as I recently had to get a D pass for my wife & kids. According to what I know the answers to your questions are:

1. No. You need to apply to MOM to have your pass extended to match the extended date of your husband's E Pass. This is something simple & should be done very quickly as a renewal is typically easier to get than a new pass (i.e. less documentation to be produced/submitted);

2. A DP in principle is all you need for traveling, you don't need to show a return flight. Bring the IPA with you (or a copy of) & show this to the airlines. Yes, I fly QANTAS regularly also (being Australian) & this has become a fairly regular request.

Hope that helps.

Col

naylera

Onward/return ticket needed for DP holder?

Post by naylera » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks Col,

Well I now have my DP :-)

From what you sayI won't need to an onward/return ticket when entering Singapore.

What are the benefits of having a DP other than I can now look for work if I wanted to and stay as long as my husbands EP is valid.
I spent all afternoon online looking for a this answer and the entry requiremtns but found nothing on any of the gov websites.

Andi

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 7:59 pm

That's about the size of it. Noting special except it allows you to work without have to meet all the stringent educational requirement in order to get your own EP. However, it would seem that they are tightening up there as well but I'm not sure of the criteria as it's not been spelled out like the other have. I have a feeling you would need at least a rudimentary education like O levels or A levels and probably would have minimum income requirement (of which both would be something new, but not unexpected as there are already noises by the xenophobic locals about DPs working on Letters of Consent. So just keep your fingers crossed on that front.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

naylera

Post by naylera » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 6:34 pm

I went to Ministry of Manpower EPSC and confirmed that the DP as we thought permits the holder to enter into Singapore without the usual need to adhere to the 14 30 or 90 visa limits and doesn't require an onward/return ticket.

The DP holder is eligible to live in the country as well as leave and enter Singapore freely without having to apply for a Singapore visa every time.

Hope tis is usful to anyone who needs to know.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:30 pm

#-o ](*,)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Ymathe

Re: Onward/return ticket needed for DP holder?

Post by Ymathe » Tue, 28 May 2013 4:43 pm

naylera wrote:Thanks Col,

Well I now have my DP :-)

From what you sayI won't need to an onward/return ticket when entering Singapore.

What are the benefits of having a DP other than I can now look for work if I wanted to and stay as long as my husbands EP is valid.
I spent all afternoon online looking for a this answer and the entry requiremtns but found nothing on any of the gov websites.

Andi
Hi Naylera,

I have made a Manual Dependent Pass Application as well. As you ve been through this process ,I d be grateful if you could let me know about the time line.

I have just seen on their website that My DP Status is approved. Therefore I have 2 questions?

How long does it take to receive the In principle approval letter?

Once the letter has been received, when can I go to collect the actual Pass.

Many thanks in advance for your reply

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 May 2013 5:03 pm

How long is a piece of string?

Whenever the IPA letter instructions tell you to.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 May 2013 9:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's about the size of it. Noting special except it allows you to work without have to meet all the stringent educational requirement in order to get your own EP. However, it would seem that they are tightening up there as well but I'm not sure of the criteria as it's not been spelled out like the other have. I have a feeling you would need at least a rudimentary education like O levels or A levels and probably would have minimum income requirement (of which both would be something new, but not unexpected as there are already noises by the xenophobic locals about DPs working on Letters of Consent. So just keep your fingers crossed on that front.
And in the meantime the wives of PR's on LTVPs cannot work.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:29 pm

Yeah, sucks big time doesn't it. In all their wisdom they are dumb as shucked oysters sometimes.

Ymathe

Post by Ymathe » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

How long is a piece of string?

Whenever the IPA letter instructions tell you to.

Thanks a lot for your comment.. much appreciated!
I m glad I could get useful information for my first post on this website......