Singapore Expats

pest control issues

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Neet

pest control issues

Post by Neet » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 5:39 pm

We were rented HDB house in bedok, we had been notice Bed bugs issues after few days, when we bring this in Owners notice he denile saying its hygeine issues and we have to bare pest control cost.. he denile saying when they hand over the home it was not there, infact we didnt observed when we took from owner, now they want to deduct the pest control and matress dispoable charges that is 1.5 K and $350 for pest control from diposit. neighter he had been done any pest control before we tk over.

. Is pest control is tenants responsibility? as per my knowededge this is health and safety issues for maintanance cost any thing related to damage we will be respnisible. but I am not agreed on pest control cost.

please clear my quarry , is there any specific agreement or any specific rights for tenants on this? or any specification on pest control done by owners once in year or 2 years.

who suppose to bare the pest control cost in our case.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 5:50 pm

I would think the tenant would have to bear the cost of pest control for something like bedbugs. It's hard to tell if they were a problem prior to you taking over as a tenant or if you brought them in. Bed bugs are a problem in major 5 star hotels as well. Even the well to do bring them in without knowing it. At the same time, bedbugs can survive many many months without a food source so they may well have been there previously. I'd try to split the cost of eradicating them for good using aerosol bombs, LPHV misters and normal wet spraying. Using all three is pretty effective. If you only do a half way, cut price job, they will be back when the eggs hatch. If it's not spelled out in your T&C then the best you can hope for is a splitting of the cost. If the mattress doesn't have any tears in the fabric, it's not necessary to toss the mattress. as they can be killed effectively by a good pest control team. That would save you some bucks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 9:28 am

SMS has already mentioned everything I wanted to advise in your case.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:27 pm

Great minds think alike! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:19 pm

Is the OP of the same clan as "The Knights Who Say" ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:20 pm

:lol:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:33 pm

Ni!
Be careful what you wish for