Suspicious "suicide" of American in SG

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Post Reply
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 2:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm not to worried about it if it keeps my arse alive because of them finding a cell and neutralizing it before they can cause another 9/11. Sometimes we have to give up a little freedom to enjoy the balance of our freedom.
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/04/ ... rists.html

– You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack

– You are 12,571 times more likely to die from cancer than from a terrorist attack

—

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 2:20 pm

Despite the massive amounts of money going to ensure such a small level of security, I'd probably be OK with the massive surveillance if I thought it would only ever be used protecting US National Security interests. But how much of that data will wind up in the hands of rich corporations that backed the right candidate at the right time? Or be used by misguided law enforcement for lesser crimes and to persecute others? It's a very short and slippery slope away from thought crime.

Another stat (which isn't in the article I posted) was that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than be killed in a terrorist attack. Why don't we have a war on lightning? I bet with all of the drones we've built and money spent in Iraq+Afghanistan, we could build a great world-wide (or at least nationwide) network of tethered drones patrolling our skies and keeping us safe from jihadi thunderstorms :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39768
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 2:57 pm

So, if I change my statement to "some American's arse" then the odds are comparatively high then right? And we are all important to somebody. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8358
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 5:25 pm

Let me try to put a positive spin on the Snowden whistleblowing on the NSA bit:

This is to show China that in spite of their repeated denial of hacking attempts into US businesses, the US is still the biggest, baddest mofo capable of monitoring any electronic communication IN THE WORLD.

tinfoil hat, coat with secret pockets, umbrella...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9916
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 5:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm not to worried about it if it keeps my arse alive because of them finding a cell and neutralizing it before they can cause another 9/11. Sometimes we have to give up a little freedom to enjoy the balance of our freedom.
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/04/ ... rists.html

– You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
[..]
But these statistics are for some systems already in place so they are rather meaningless.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 7:23 pm

x9200 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: I'm not to worried about it if it keeps my arse alive because of them finding a cell and neutralizing it before they can cause another 9/11. Sometimes we have to give up a little freedom to enjoy the balance of our freedom.
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/04/ ... rists.html

– You are 17,600 times more likely to die from heart disease than from a terrorist attack
[..]
But these statistics are for some systems already in place so they are rather meaningless.
Even if you were a few orders of magnitude more likely to die by a terrorist's hands before 9/11 it's still an ungodly sum spent by the US.

And there is this:
The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) has just published, Background Report: 9/11, Ten Years Later [PDF]. The report notes, excluding the 9/11 atrocities, that fewer than 500 people died in the U.S. from terrorist attacks between 1970 and 2010.
The PDF: https://support.rms.com/Publications/9_ ... ective.pdf

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 7:26 pm

Since I don't expect people to have to read a PDF to prove my point for me, here is a stat for you:
These plots and attacks have helped to make the
last decade one of the most active in terrorism history.
According to RMS’ historical catalog of macro terrorism
attacks (defined as attacks with the minimum severity of a car bomb) terrorist violence has increased substantially
since 9/11.2 More than 2,400 macro attacks have
occurred worldwide since 2001, killing over 37,000
people and injuring nearly 70,000. More than 60% of
these victims have been in Afghanistan and Iraq. Levels
of terrorist violence that would have been considered
excessive prior to 9/11 have become the norm and
while there are signs of the attack tempo abating,
the magnitude and frequency of events remain high
compared to previous decades.
Image

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9916
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 7:34 pm

Image

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39768
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 7:56 pm

Wadz U do, take that off my timeline? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1794
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Singapore coroner rules Shane Todd death suicide

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:37 am

From BBC:

Singapore coroner rules Shane Todd death suicide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23198540

The verdict in the case - which attracted considerable attention after Mr Todd's parents contested police findings and campaigned for an investigation - is final and cannot be appealed against.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Singapore coroner rules Shane Todd death suicide

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 12:04 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:From BBC:

Singapore coroner rules Shane Todd death suicide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23198540

The verdict in the case - which attracted considerable attention after Mr Todd's parents contested police findings and campaigned for an investigation - is final and cannot be appealed against.
What an amazing surprise! I'm absolutely sure that the Singapore coroner was under no pressure whatsoever as he deliberated his decision.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:47 am

Post by Chantikki » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 12:21 pm

To me it seems that it most probably was a suicide. I think he may have been mentally unstable.

But Shane told his parents that he thought he would be killed. In an inquest surely this would have been investigated. He must have been delusional or receiving death threats. It seems that they didn't bother following that angle. They missed out a major part of the inquest. Why did he think he would be killed? Still unanswered. And that points to a poor investigation.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 12:48 pm

Chantikki wrote:But Shane told his parents that he thought he would be killed. In an inquest surely this would have been investigated. He must have been delusional or receiving death threats. It seems that they didn't bother following that angle. They missed out a major part of the inquest. Why did he think he would be killed? Still unanswered. And that points to a poor investigation.
I am not a psychiatrist, but seen enough ...

A friend's nephew, who was schizophrenic showing symptoms sometimes only and becomes paranoid, and rest of the times, perfectly normal ..

Once, he asked his uncle to call the cops or arrange some special security / body guards, as he felt the BBC people are trying to kill him .. all based on his understanding of some UK TV Program

People can imagine stuff, a lot of stuff. .

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:01 am
Location: Singapore

Post by katbh » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 1:38 pm

I do not think that any of us are in a position to comment on the veracity of the finding or the ability of the Court.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 10:47 am

Post by Chantikki » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 2:06 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Chantikki wrote:But Shane told his parents that he thought he would be killed. In an inquest surely this would have been investigated. He must have been delusional or receiving death threats. It seems that they didn't bother following that angle. They missed out a major part of the inquest. Why did he think he would be killed? Still unanswered. And that points to a poor investigation.
I am not a psychiatrist, but seen enough ...

A friend's nephew, who was schizophrenic showing symptoms sometimes only and becomes paranoid, and rest of the times, perfectly normal ..

Once, he asked his uncle to call the cops or arrange some special security / body guards, as he felt the BBC people are trying to kill him .. all based on his understanding of some UK TV Program

People can imagine stuff, a lot of stuff. .
Yeah, that is also what I am beginning to think. it's a shame what caused him to think those things was not brought to light. It would help determine whether Singapore is a safe place to do research. You'd think it would be in Singapore's interest to establish that.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests