Singapore Expats

Suspicious "suicide" of American in SG

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 8:13 am

Personally I found this story very sad from many POV and have actually stopped following it. Suicide by depressed men is far too common in my home country. Incompetency by the SPF is almost a given sadly.

We'll never know the truth and that's why I stopped following the story. Just a waste of emotional energy.
Now I'm called PNGMK

daniel83

Post by daniel83 » Tue, 21 May 2013 10:27 am

Tearful Father of Shane Todd Says Family Trusts Court

who had called the Singapore court system “corruptâ€Â

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 May 2013 10:44 am

Why are you posting it now? Wouldn't it be better to post yesterday's news on the case? rather than crap that is a week old?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Tue, 21 May 2013 2:22 pm

The SPF could be incompetent, as witness in some real-life experiences but then again and like the M'asian police they could also be partial as they are controlled by the government. And it could be precisely what the government wants the public to think - that such a conspiracy to hook up with the chinese to silence an american kiddo is, nonsense. That this news (along with news of other 'suicides' at institutes of research or higher learning) never made it to the front page of major newspapers in Singapore is already a concern. the city harvest news seems to be making bigger head waves instead! what is troubling is why would a bright american kiddo who had already accepted a job offer back in the states commit suicide, a week before he's due to leave singapore?
movingtospore wrote:I'm more inclined to believe that the SP police force just don't have a f-ing clue than I am in a conspiracy with the Chinese. I figure, like a lot of locals, they would just say no to anything outside of a,b,c and d. If we can't conceive of it, it can't be true...

That said, I'd also believe that is just a case of some poor guy in bad way, and a bereaved family looking for answers when there never are any when it comes to suicide.

But the Sing gov't plotting with the chinese to murder an american and cover it up? Bah. Seems pretty unlikely.

Truth is stranger than fiction tho.
Last edited by yogaloungeforever on Wed, 22 May 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 21 May 2013 2:39 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:The SPF could be incompetent, as witness in some real-life experiences but then again and like the M'asian police they could also be impartial as they are controlled by the government. And it could be precisely what the government wants the public to think - that such a conspiracy to hook up with the chinese to silence an american kiddo is, nonsense. That this news (along with news of other 'suicides' at institutes of research or higher learning) never made it to the front page of major newspapers in Singapore is already a concern. the city harvest news seems to be making bigger head waves instead! what is troubling is why would a bright american kiddo who had already accepted a job offer back in the states commit suicide, a week before he's due to leave singapore?
movingtospore wrote:I'm more inclined to believe that the SP police force just don't have a f-ing clue than I am in a conspiracy with the Chinese. I figure, like a lot of locals, they would just say no to anything outside of a,b,c and d. If we can't conceive of it, it can't be true...

That said, I'd also believe that is just a case of some poor guy in bad way, and a bereaved family looking for answers when there never are any when it comes to suicide.

But the Sing gov't plotting with the chinese to murder an american and cover it up? Bah. Seems pretty unlikely.

Do you even know what impartial means? :shock:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 May 2013 3:26 pm

Why does anybody commit suicide? When they actually do it, they aren't of right mind anyway. PhD or otherwise.

And yeah, impartial? Wonder if yogalouseforever even knows the meaning of the word.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 21 May 2013 3:35 pm

Maybe it is just a typo.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Tue, 21 May 2013 4:14 pm

yeap, that my nick's wrongly spelt, it's def typo :)
sundaymorningstaple wrote: .... Wonder if yogalouseforever even knows the meaning of the word.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Tue, 21 May 2013 4:21 pm

nakatago wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:The SPF could be incompetent, as witness in some real-life experiences but then again and like the M'asian police they could also be impartial as they are controlled by the government. And it could be precisely what the government wants the public to think - that such a conspiracy to hook up with the chinese to silence an american kiddo is, nonsense. That this news (along with news of other 'suicides' at institutes of research or higher learning) never made it to the front page of major newspapers in Singapore is already a concern. the city harvest news seems to be making bigger head waves instead! what is troubling is why would a bright american kiddo who had already accepted a job offer back in the states commit suicide, a week before he's due to leave singapore?

Do you even know what impartial means? :shock:
surprised you were not able to spot other errors other than this. that said, suggest to start a new thread on this grammar correction topic. i only meant to voice an opinion on the 'Suspicious "suicide" of American in SG' topic

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 21 May 2013 4:29 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:
surprised you were not able to spot other errors other than this. that said, suggest to start a new thread on this grammar correction topic. i only meant to voice an opinion on the 'Suspicious "suicide" of American in SG' topic
Now you're just deflecting my observation about your post.

Still doesn't change the fact that you saying the police is impartial and yet they want to sway people's beliefs about the case one way.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Wed, 22 May 2013 1:12 am

nakatago wrote:

Still doesn't change the fact that you saying the police is impartial and yet they want to sway people's beliefs about the case one way.
edited the post to put nigglin' minds to rest

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 May 2013 8:09 am

nakatago wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:

Come on SMS and Naka, give him some slack. It was pretty obvious from the context he meant 'partial' and not impartial. Your head must explode at everyday Singlish if you're letting this one get you.

Irregardless (ha ha), I'm not sure what I think now. What SPF says seems logical. But the very long delay in correcting the record does raise a bit of suspicion. If they hadn't spoken up or made any comments at all immediately to the family, the delay wouldn't even be as suspicious either then.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 May 2013 11:33 am

Personally, the whole thing is turning into a media sideshow with more show from both sides than substance.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 22 May 2013 2:06 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Come on SMS and Naka, give him some slack. It was pretty obvious from the context he meant 'partial' and not impartial. Your head must explode at everyday Singlish if you're letting this one get you. .
Surrounded by Indonesians at work. Malaysian manager code switches to proper English when speaking with non-straits Chinese.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 May 2013 3:49 pm

While I don't discount the possibility of a large cover up, it seems the family isn't letting this go and making them look silly...

Family Storms Out of Singapore Inquiry Into U.S. Engineer’s Death
http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/0 ... od=WSJBlog

Medical Examiner Revises Murder Claims in U.S. Engineer’s Death (the one hired by the family)

And today:
Family Quits Singapore Inquiry Into U.S. Engineer’s Death
Last edited by zzm9980 on Wed, 22 May 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.