Singapore Expats

Intro/Questions

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
Ellmeg

Intro/Questions

Post by Ellmeg » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 5:01 pm

Hi All!

I am a mom of 2 (4.5 yrs and 21 months) and we are currently in Switzerland.

My husband works 100% and I work vertical 80% from home (i.e. every day shorter hrs)

This works well but we are getting hitchy feet considering Singapore as our next destination.

We are talking 12-18 months horizon but the planner in me likes knowing a bit more ;)

I would transfer with my company, but there I would be office based and on a nice expat contract which would mean I would need to go back to full time hoours.

My doubts right now are (as always) around the kids....

We were thinking of sending them to Swiss School as our plan is to return here after. However I have seen that both the Kindergarten (age 4-6) and the primary (6 up) only have school in the morning. Which would mean the kids should be cared for in the afternoon.

I have read it is hard to find nannies and most people seem to rely on the house help, but I am a bit nervous about it, mainly around if it will be fun enough for them. Or are there classes etc that the person could take them to? Or playdates?

My husband does not want to be a stay at home dad... I guess his hours though will be better than mine so this is maybe an option too.

Or maybe we need to ocnsider other schools with full day schedules?

They are fluent in German and in Italian but hear a lot of english at home so I am pretty sure they would pick English up quickly.

Is it realistic for both of us to work?

If my husband does decide to stay home (or is forced to for a hwile), is there a good community?

Thanks for reading and any advice you have!