Singapore Expats

National Defense Duty for PR and Foreigners

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

National Defense Duty for PR and Foreigners

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:08 pm

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/bishan-grc-mp- ... 50474.html

I dont know whats worse knowing a GRC member doesnt know the difference between foreigners, pr and citizens or the proposal to tax pr and foreigners for national defense..

also..defense from what?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:18 pm

also..who they can defend from?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:26 pm

Don't get me started here as well! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:37 pm

Sounds fair to me as long as they also apply the tax to every female over the age of 22 that hasn't yet had at least one kid.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: National Defense Duty for PR and Foreigners

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:48 pm

morenangpinay wrote:http://sg.news.yahoo.com/bishan-grc-mp- ... 50474.html

I dont know whats worse knowing a GRC member doesnt know the difference between foreigners, pr and citizens or the proposal to tax pr and foreigners for national defense..

also..defense from what?
was talking about this, with a taxi driver as he saw the Today News headline ..

He was jovial enough to ask what is the recourse for those who don't have male children .. and then he admitted that rich guys, will pay whatever tax you whack them, heck, they may even negotiate and get such taxes as company paid, as part of their compensation ... and still will leave, if and when they want to leave ..

and it is only the mid/low level who will get hit - as always happens

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 3:05 pm

Yeah, foreigners owe Singaporeans for everything. When foreigners get ripped off, that is the first reason to be jovial for Singaporeans. Time to think about leaving the boat in the nearest future anyway... :)

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 3:24 pm

Not quite sure why they even have NS here if as claimed it holds back young men by two years etc. Have read it is too expensive to have a full time armed service but I read into that they most men wouldn't join so conscription is the only way. Who are they defending this place from ? Any attack is likely to be through cyber warfare to disrupt the economy of this place rather than grunts on the ground. If anyone launched an attack here, the US and other forces with a vested interest would pour in a la Kuwait.

Introducing a tax like this is hardly likely to engender MNC's to investing more here. It is expensive enough to conduct business here without more overheads on their employees.

On the same basis, I assume that this guy is fine for all expat-Singers to pay a similar tax for exactly the same reasons stated in their current country of residence ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 3:39 pm

What they need is a whitepaper that shows how much of a GDP increase there would be from an extra two years (plus NS time) for every male citizen in the work force.

Then, implement a professional volunteer army for those who aren't quite cut out for 'thinking' work.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 3:51 pm

Travailes wrote:Not quite sure why they even have NS here ....
I wouldn't want to go there ..

and if you think NS is limited to the army, then you have quite a lot to learn ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 4:28 pm

Civil Defense, Police Force, Custom Service, Coast Guard, Navy, Army, Air Force, all served by NS men.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 6:52 pm

One thing needs to be made clear to those people; Foreigners have a choice. If not Singapore, somewhere else. Singapore has no choice without foreigners, other than may be merge into Malaysia :-|

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 11:15 am

im getting feed up with these anti foreigner news and idiotic suggestions :roll:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 3:15 pm

morenangpinay wrote:im getting feed up with these anti foreigner news and idiotic suggestions :roll:
Me too, but sadly I think this is just the beginning and I don't think the collateral damage should be underestimated either. Recently I hired an additional person (a Singaporean) for the local team here and for the first time ever I had 'HQ' seriously questioning why we should be adding staff here. The country's reputation abroad is being affected by all this.

I've never felt so unwelcome (living) in a country as I do here right now.
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 8:02 pm

When I came here in mid 2009, it wasn't like this. I am still trying remember how did all this start. I think it was from the lead up to GE 2011 and then the worst performance of the ruling party until then, that kind of started this trigger. Until then the sentiments might have been there, but nobody had the guts to discuss it so openly and they never made it to the national level of discussion. We true believed that this place is a paradise and everything is working as a charm. But now its far from that.

Lots of thing may have culminated to this, especially, the sky rocketing property prices and increasing cost of living and over crowding and constantly failing MRTs. The high profile scandals.The property prices were fine as late as 2010. So I guess 2010 was the last year when everything was rosy in Singapore. Right now, everything that can go wrong is going wrong. :(

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 17 Feb 2013 8:56 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:im getting feed up with these anti foreigner news and idiotic suggestions :roll:
Me too, but sadly I think this is just the beginning and I don't think the collateral damage should be underestimated either. Recently I hired an additional person (a Singaporean) for the local team here and for the first time ever I had 'HQ' seriously questioning why we should be adding staff here. The country's reputation abroad is being affected by all this.

I've never felt so unwelcome (living) in a country as I do here right now.
S'poreans best be careful what they wish for, as pretty soon they may not have any jobs to complain about foreigners taking. I appreciate the reasons for their angst but they are so shockingly naive.

Me, I'm working on an exit plan. May take a while, but I think it's time to get out of dodge. All of us should have one.