Singapore Expats Forum

Interracial Couples--How Common?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:00 pm

it certainly seems better than having China/HK-style english names...

but having been introduced to a singaporean realtor named Alien Huang some weeks back (yes, "ET go home" ALIEN), i really hope the trend doesn't spread...

needless to say, i chose a Danny over an Alien to represent me.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 1:58 pm

I've heard Precious and Baby, and knew a guy in HK named Dragon Chow, which still makes me chuckle.

But Alien - that tops the list.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 6:34 pm

Precious and Baby are actually relatively popular in the States. Unfortunately, not the case for Alien.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

Perhaps somebody filled in a wrong gap in some sort of form.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 8:34 pm

I had a couple of sisters living next door when I was a kid, who's names were Honour & Patience. I can vouch that one had no honour and the other had not a whole lot of patience either. :o

edited: got the crumbs out of the keyboard! :P
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 8:48 pm

I knew a guy named Nimrod. As in his birth certificate, for first name, it says "Nimrod."

WanWanWan
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue, 05 Feb 2013

Postby WanWanWan » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 9:07 pm

taxico wrote:it certainly seems better than having China/HK-style english names...

but having been introduced to a singaporean realtor named Alien Huang some weeks back (yes, "ET go home" ALIEN), i really hope the trend doesn't spread...

needless to say, i chose a Danny over an Alien to represent me.


I would go with Alien as a matter of principle.

Although, as others are pointing out, some western names are pretty bad. I went to school with a little boy called "Hugh Jars". Who on earth can look at a newborn baby and give it that kind of name?

I used to swim with Isaac Newton, too, now that I think of it...

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 9:42 pm

i knew a guy called titty :-|

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 9:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I had a couple of sisters living next door when I was a kid, who's names were Honour & Patience. I can vouch that one had no honour and the other had not a whole lot of patience either. :o

I guess, Horour is mistyped Honour? :o

iamsen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun, 03 Feb 2013

Postby iamsen » Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:48 pm

Wd40 wrote:For example, rice. Most of south east asia, china, japan etc eat the Thai variety of rice.


I can assure you we don't eat Thai rice in Japan. Most Japanese wouldn't accept non-Japanese grains, too hard and dry for our tastes.

Oira
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 17 Feb 2013

Postby Oira » Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:31 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pardon me, but what are most S-Tamils opinion about Indians from India?
I quite like the Singaporean Tamil actually, its very polite although old sounding.


Mind blown! I had no idea. I thought we spoke the same Tamil?!?! What are some differences?

I know spoken Lankan Tamil is almost like written Tamil. I thought they are the ones who spoke the old Tamil.

Brah wrote:I've heard Precious and Baby, and knew a guy in HK named Dragon Chow, which still makes me chuckle.

But Alien - that tops the list.


I've met Fountain, Seventeen and Jeans. I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I was introduced. I think they pick a Chinese name and then run it through an online translator.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:57 pm

Oira wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pardon me, but what are most S-Tamils opinion about Indians from India?
I quite like the Singaporean Tamil actually, its very polite although old sounding.


Mind blown! I had no idea. I thought we spoke the same Tamil?!?! What are some differences?

I know spoken Lankan Tamil is almost like written Tamil. I thought they are the ones who spoke the old Tamil.




I'm no expert myself. my ancestors were Tamils who lived in Kerala for hundreds of years my parents moved from Kerala to Bangalore where I was born and I don't know Tamil or Malayalam in great detail but my Kannada is better than my Tamil and Malayalam,

The Tamil thats spoken in Bangalore is different to the Tamil spoken in say Madras.
Tamil in Bangalore not polished its the the urban slang filled stuff. When I came here the first time in 2004 I was a bit shocked to find every talking to each other so politely I wasn't used to it. :D

The Tamil spoken in Sri Lanka is quite different too I think its either mixed with Sinhalese or it has lots of old Tamil in it.

Edit: Your first post was in this thread to specifically ask about this ? :D

Oira
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 17 Feb 2013

Postby Oira » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:17 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Oira wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pardon me, but what are most S-Tamils opinion about Indians from India?
I quite like the Singaporean Tamil actually, its very polite although old sounding.


Mind blown! I had no idea. I thought we spoke the same Tamil?!?! What are some differences?

I know spoken Lankan Tamil is almost like written Tamil. I thought they are the ones who spoke the old Tamil.




I'm no expert myself. my ancestors were Tamils who lived in Kerala for hundreds of years my parents moved from Kerala to Bangalore where I was born and I don't know Tamil or Malayalam in great detail but my Kannada is better than my Tamil and Malayalam,

The Tamil thats spoken in Bangalore is different to the Tamil spoken in say Madras.
Tamil in Bangalore not polished its the the urban slang filled stuff. When I came here the first time in 2004 I was a bit shocked to find every talking to each other so politely I wasn't used to it. :D

The Tamil spoken in Sri Lanka is quite different too I think its either mixed with Sinhalese or it has lots of old Tamil in it.

Edit: Your first post was in this thread to specifically ask about this ? :D


Yea :). I am a lurker but this piqued my curiosity.

I know Madras Tamil has a lot of slang and I just found out there is a Wiki entry about it. I can't even begin to understand most of the words. Compared to that, we Singaporeans definitely speak 'old' Tamil.

Well, you learn something new everyday :D.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:30 am

From, what I know(this is what my tamil friends told me), the Tamil spoken in Singapore is very authentic and unadulterated, compared to that spoken in Tamil Nadu.

Madras Tamil is total crap. But, even the Tamil spoken is the rest of Tamil Nadu has evolved and many of the authentics words have been forgotten. Singaporeans seem to have preserved it.

Oira, Do you have starhub connection? Try subscribing to some of the Indian Tamil channels like Sun TV you will know how different Vasantham Tamil is.

I am from bangalore and can understand a bit of Tamil, but that MRT announcement in Tamil to stand behind the yellow line, I just couldnt understand no matter how many times I tried. My friend then explained to me about it :)

Oira
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 17 Feb 2013

Postby Oira » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:44 am

Wd40 wrote:From, what I know(this is what my tamil friends told me), the Tamil spoken in Singapore is very authentic and unadulterated, compared to that spoken in Tamil Nadu.

Madras Tamil is total crap. But, even the Tamil spoken is the rest of Tamil Nadu has evolved and many of the authentics words have been forgotten. Singaporeans seem to have preserved it.

Oira, Do you have starhub connection? Try subscribing to some of the Indian Tamil channels like Sun TV you will know how different Vasantham Tamil is.

I am from bangalore and can understand a bit of Tamil, but that MRT announcement in Tamil to stand behind the yellow line, I just couldnt understand no matter how many times I tried. My friend then explained to me about it :)


I do. I don't have Sun TV but I have Vijay TV. I notice that they go out of their way to incorporate English into their Tamil. On Vasantham, they speak whole sentences in Tamil and then whole sentences in English. But from what I've seen on Vijay, it's very half and half. Whatever floats their boat I guess. But I am basing all of this on the small handful of programs I've seen on both channels. I live and breathe on the Internet.

I laughed so hard when you said you couldn't understand the MRT announcement. I hope that's only because you are not a native Tamil speaker....I personally think they used simple words so that everyone can understand.

By the way, I apologise to the OP for derailing this thread :?. Back to the topic boys!

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:59 am

Guys, its time to create a new topic about Tamil - you're screwing up the thread which is interesting for much wider range of public.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests