Singapore Expats

Interracial Couples--How Common?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:45 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Guys, its time to create a new topic about Tamil - you're screwing up the thread which is interesting for much wider range of public.
Oh like you and OSOD never derailed a thread :P

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 1:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Guys, its time to create a new topic about Tamil - you're screwing up the thread which is interesting for much wider range of public.
So everybody should follow? Boring lah! :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 2:42 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
So everybody should follow? Boring lah! :)
:oops!: :shit:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

RimBlock
Regular
Regular

Post by RimBlock » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 4:13 pm

Never had any big issues.

My wife is SiC (Singaporean Chinese) and I am Caucasian. I used to be quite surprised at people refering to me as Ang Moi to my face or just behind my back as it would be like me refering to them as Chinky (i.e. not generally considered acceptible in western society). After a while I just ended up putting it down to ignorance as it was generally the old Aunties who would say it and considering the lack of education for females when they were growing up......

When my middle son was younger, my mother-in-law used to take him to the coffee shops along with my Brother-in-laws son. By all accounts my son used to get all the attention from the Aunties and my brother-in-laws son used to get ignored.

I have not seen any very negative reactions towards me or my family here.

I did try a little experiment when I first came to Singapore though. We rented a HDB in the East with very few westerners around (oh how things have changed). I used to go to the little mini-mart under the block to get various daily shopping. The owner was in her 50s and clearly didn't speak much, if any, English. Each time I went there, after being handed my change I would make a point of saying "Thank You" as I would anywhere but tended to just get a grunt of acknowledgement. Slowly this changed until after almost daily visits for 7-8 months she started saying "Your welcome". We moved out after a year and bought our own HDB. The Mini-Mart has since closed, sadly.

RB
Without dialogues, if you tell them you want something real bad, you will get it real bad.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by alittlerisky » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 4:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I had a couple of sisters living next door when I was a kid, who's names were Honour & Patience. I can vouch that one had no honour and the other had not a whole lot of patience either. :o

edited: got the crumbs out of the keyboard! :P
I went out for while with a girl called Verity when at university. Her older sisters were called Faith, Hope and Charity... what were her parents thinking???
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 4:57 pm

My grandmother, mother and aunt respectivey (if you translate it from Russian) are Love, Hope and Faith. So I'm stemming from love and hope, faith is not there...

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 5:34 pm

And lots of traditional Chinese names for girls are 'Little Beauty' or 'Little Sister' while boys have the fun 'Handsome and Strong', '10 Thousand Scholars' and so on. My real name means More Water, my cousins are More Pride, More Wealth, More Intelligence.

In Japanese you would Flower Girl or the really imaginative First Son (Taro, Ichiro), Second Son (Jiro).

Let's not even get started on Malay names.

Names have always been weird in their original languages.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 7:46 pm

taxico wrote: but having been introduced to a singaporean realtor named Alien Huang some weeks back (yes, "ET go home" ALIEN), i really hope the trend doesn't spread...
--------------------------------
Early life
When Alien Huang was in middle school, his father intended to train him to become a professional golf player.[1] However, due to his interest in performing, he decided to apply for HuaGang High School of Performing Arts, where he was accepted with first place recommendation. While he was in high school, he was the most popular guy in the school with many admirers. There, he met fellow classmate Rainie Yang, and they dated together for over two and a half years.[2][3] Alien also obtained a lifeguard qualification when he was 18 years of age.[4]

English Names
Huang chose his English name "Alien" because he hopes to be an indefinable and unique character, just like aliens are, full of creativity and not confined to normality.[5]
He has previously also had various other English names, including "Janson[6]" when he was in high school and "Harry[7]" when he was in primary school.
--------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Huang
-----------------------------------------------

Looks like the Alien's are spawning.

p.s. D'ya figure Alien wrote his own Wiki entry ... lol

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 7:50 pm

nakatago wrote:I knew a guy named Nimrod. As in his birth certificate, for first name, it says "Nimrod."
Ooh heavens [squint/grimace!].

------------
Example:
Since Jane’s boss was a real nimrod, he didn’t notice when she replaced his morning coffee with mud.

Celebrity quote:
“Jules, if you give that freak' nimrod fifteen hundred dollars, I'm gonna shoot him on general principles.â€Â

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 8:08 pm

alittlerisky wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I had a couple of sisters living next door when I was a kid, who's names were Honour & Patience. I can vouch that one had no honour and the other had not a whole lot of patience either. :o

I went out for while with a girl called Verity when at university. Her older sisters were called Faith, Hope and Charity... what were her parents thinking???
Were they filipino? I know two different "Charity"s who were filipino, and one had a sister named Chastity. Oh, the conversations some of my friends had about that one...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 8:13 pm

iamsen wrote:And lots of traditional Chinese names for girls are 'Little Beauty' or 'Little Sister' while boys have the fun 'Handsome and Strong', '10 Thousand Scholars' and so on. My real name means More Water, my cousins are More Pride, More Wealth, More Intelligence.
So your name is 多水 (duo shui)ï¼Å¸ :D

I can't tell you how many å°Â

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 9:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
alittlerisky wrote:

Were they filipino? I know two different "Charity"s who were filipino, and one had a sister named Chastity. Oh, the conversations some of my friends had about that one...
and then there's Majesty, Baby (actual legal name), Cherry, Cherry Pie, Honey. Then the Filipino Chinese have names like King. I had a distant cousin nicknamed Bimbo. I've also heard of a guy whose given names are Sigmund Freud (e.g. Sigmund Freud Santos or something). I also had a classmate (guy's a nice bloke) who's named Avegay.

But then again, you can blame the parents on names like these. I remember reading a post on the social networks about a mother choosing the name "Chlamydia."

But if you're a grown-ass man (or woman), with a Chinese name that doesn't weird in that language (take your pick--Mandarin, Cantonese, Fookien, etc) and you choose a "Western" name, you have no excuse for picking a crummy one.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:02 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
alittlerisky wrote: I went out for while with a girl called Verity when at university. Her older sisters were called Faith, Hope and Charity... what were her parents thinking???
and then there's Majesty, Baby (actual legal name), Cherry, Cherry Pie, Honey. Then the Filipino Chinese have names like King. I had a distant cousin nicknamed Bimbo. I've also heard of a guy whose given names are Sigmund Freud (e.g. Sigmund Freud Santos or something). I also had a classmate (guy's a nice bloke) who's named Avegay.

But then again, you can blame the parents on names like these. I remember reading a post on the social networks about a mother choosing the name "Chlamydia."

But if you're a grown-ass man (or woman), with a Chinese name that doesn't weird in that language (take your pick--Mandarin, Cantonese, Fookien, etc) and you choose a "Western" name, you have no excuse for picking a crummy one.

Hilarious! Chlamydia, ouch, that's just terrible. I wouldn't change my name for simple or fickle reasons, but in that case I certainly would.

Did you know that Candida is a quite classical (high-end) name (Spanish origin) that is not unusual in Europe. It is of course also <cough> a yeast infection which girls get <cough> 'down there'.

[Sorry the nested quotes are now so complex I can't start to think how to edit it down a few levels, and have it work].

ps.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 96051.html
'Good Lord this poor girl is named after a yeast infection!'

Oh, and I've only known one Verity, in the 70s. She was an adopted 'Vietnamese Boat People' refugee to Europe.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 8:11 am

JR8 wrote:Hilarious! Chlamydia, ouch, that's just terrible. I wouldn't change my name for simple or fickle reasons, but in that case I certainly would.

Did you know that Candida is a quite classical (high-end) name (Spanish origin) that is not unusual in Europe. It is of course also <cough> a yeast infection which girls get <cough> 'down there'.
A blast from the past - Tony Orlando & Dawn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlXIt-PoKU

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:23 am

I remember a scene in a sitcom about naming babies. The name should pass the "third grade" test. It's simple: think of how third graders will make fun of the child's name. If it's easy, don't use the name.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."