Singapore Expats

What do you do over CNY?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 9:51 am

We went down after the rain stopped, didn't bother to go further south than Cross Street, just didn't want to deal with the crowds, turned around and did something else.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:29 am

We went to Chinatown MRT, walked the whole Pagoda street, it was crowded, but it was ok. Then we went to Mariamman temple. Its amazing, how the heart of chinatown has the most popular Indian temple :)

After visiting the temple we got back in to chinatown MRT and headed straight to farrer park mrt, had dinner in one of the restaurants opposite to mustafa, did some shopping in mustafa and then headed home to Tampines in a bus. All this with a pram and a baby. Quite an achievement isnt it :)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 2:44 pm

Wd40 wrote:We went to Chinatown... we went to Mariamman temple. Its amazing, how the heart of chinatown has the most popular Indian temple :)
chinese people worship/pray in indian temples too. this is normal in singapore.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 3:32 pm

taxico wrote:
Wd40 wrote:We went to Chinatown... we went to Mariamman temple. Its amazing, how the heart of chinatown has the most popular Indian temple :)
Is that only in case of mixed race marriages or otherwise too? We regularly visit Indian temples in Singapore(the one in Changi, Paya lebar, bugis and those in Serangoon road) but hardly ever seen chinese visiting them. The only occasion we saw a few chinese was in the Indian temple in Dhoby Ghaut. There was a local Indian marriage going on there and they must have invited a lot of their local but non-Indian friends too.

But I have seen cases where a chinese temple and an Indian temple are like right next to each other. The one in Paya lebar and the one in bugis are fine examples.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 6:06 pm

It's the same with the Catholic Novena Church on Upper Thompson road. Always lots of Hindu's there as well. Not sure why. Though my wife always say they are praying to strike 4D. I don't believe it, but as she's Indian herself (albeit, catholic) maybe she knows what she's talking about. :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:27 pm

Wd40 wrote:
taxico wrote:
Is that only in case of mixed race marriages or otherwise too? We regularly visit Indian temples in Singapore(the one in Changi, Paya lebar, bugis and those in Serangoon road) but hardly ever seen chinese visiting them...
i don't think that has anything to do with an inter-ethnic couple. it's by choice. it's not frowned upon or anything and the temple keepers (???) sitting near the entrance have no problems with chinese people either.

i used to temp near an indian temple - i'm not sure what sort, but it has all sorts of demi-elephants and minotaur-type dudes and what not on the roof. i see non-indian devotees (usually alone) regularly making a quick stop or prayer at the temple.