Landlord a tax cheat?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 3:35 pm

x9200 wrote:...In that respect I think it is understandable to have a backup plan in case some problems with (just an example) recovering of the deposit arise. This is how I understood the OP's question.
assuming that was the OP's intention, (or for that matter, anyone's) shouldn't then he/she trash out the details and write them down in the TA to prevent any future dispute?

any proper landlord will be happy to go through the specifics. we all want a smooth transition to the next tenant instead of (for eg) a property in limbo over who should engage the cleaners/tradesmen.

every vacant day = money lost.

a plan to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion seems pointless and if carried out, might serve to piss the LL off (more).

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9873
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 4:41 pm

taxico wrote:
x9200 wrote:...In that respect I think it is understandable to have a backup plan in case some problems with (just an example) recovering of the deposit arise. This is how I understood the OP's question.
assuming that was the OP's intention, (or for that matter, anyone's) shouldn't then he/she trash out the details and write them down in the TA to prevent any future dispute?
I think either I was not clear enough or I don't understand your response.
If my current LL decides that for whatever subjective reason he is going to keep my deposit after the keys are handed over how do you think I should address it in the TA? This board is full of stories like this. And if I have a proof of his wrong doing on such slippery ground and he knows that I know it, I guess he would think twice before risking any legal dispute.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 4:51 pm

taxico wrote:every vacant day = money lost.
Yeah, you would think so, wouldn't you? But it's unbelievable how many landlords ignore that simple concept when Dr. Kiasu comes to call.
taxico wrote:a plan to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion seems pointless and if carried out, might serve to piss the LL off (more).
^^^ +1
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, you should choose your enemies with extreme care.
Be careful what you wish for

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9873
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 5:28 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
taxico wrote:a plan to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion seems pointless and if carried out, might serve to piss the LL off (more).
^^^ +1
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, you should choose your enemies with extreme care.
Well, but probably you should notice that for OP it was not a non-existent tax evasion. If he thought so I bet he wouldn't have came here to ask this question so this point is not really valid.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 9:18 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
taxico wrote:every vacant day = money lost.
Yeah, you would think so, wouldn't you? But it's unbelievable how many landlords ignore that simple concept when Dr. Kiasu comes to call.
An adage a seasoned pro drilled into me when I first started out as a newbie landlord:

'Voids kill'.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 9:48 pm

x9200 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:
taxico wrote:a plan to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion seems pointless and if carried out, might serve to piss the LL off (more).
^^^ +1
To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, you should choose your enemies with extreme care.
Well, but probably you should notice that for OP it was not a non-existent tax evasion. If he thought so I bet he wouldn't have came here to ask this question so this point is not really valid.
Hey x92, I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you mean. I'm not trying to be rude or difficult, I just genuinely don't get the meaning of your comment. Can you explain it a different way for me? (It's been a long day). Thanks.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:09 pm

x9200 wrote:...If my current LL decides that for whatever subjective reason he is going to keep my deposit after the keys are handed over how do you think I should address it in the TA? This board is full of stories like this. And if I have a proof of his wrong doing on such slippery ground and he knows that I know it, I guess he would think twice before risking any legal dispute.
it's always about damage and what constitutes fair wear and tear. different landlords have different standards. some have impossible standards.

running through some scenarios will help clarify that. writing the standards/examples down will too.

eg:

food stains in the bedroom wall, not fair wear and tear. food stains on the wall around the sink, fair wear and tear.

wear marks on table legs, fair wear and tear. burnt rings on table tops, not.

dirty blinds (removable/cleanable), no wear and tear. mold on curtains, not.

in such an event of repainting, only affected portions of the wall need be repainted - provided the paint color codes and brand are provided, otherwise a nearest shade will suffice.

etc...

on the single area of cleanliness alone, people from different cultures/ethnic groups may have vastly different standards. what is considered clean to a chinese national may not be acceptable to a chinese singaporean.

there is no way of knowing which LL will return your deposit promptly. you can only cover your butt by knowing what his/her subjective standards are.

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9873
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:17 pm

Hey Mi Amingo, no worry, I only sound a bit angry sometimes. This is probably my pretty rough language.
SImply, this guy came to this board to verify whether what he noticed was a tax offense or not. He did not say that regardless what he would learn he was going to threaten his LL. Why then it was assumed he was going to use it against his LL after we told him there was nothing illegal in it? Of course it is not good to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion but nobody said anything like this so what is the point of bringing this forward?
Again, easy please, I am just explaining my point :)

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9873
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:31 pm

taxico wrote:
x9200 wrote:...If my current LL decides that for whatever subjective reason he is going to keep my deposit after the keys are handed over how do you think I should address it in the TA? This board is full of stories like this. And if I have a proof of his wrong doing on such slippery ground and he knows that I know it, I guess he would think twice before risking any legal dispute.
it's always about damage and what constitutes fair wear and tear. different landlords have different standards. some have impossible standards.

running through some scenarios will help clarify that. writing the standards/examples down will too.
I really think you together with JR8 judge the average around by your own standards and your standards are rational. Unfortunately, the anecdotal evidence from many sources around shows that many local LL are far from rational. You can not rationalize irrational LL by making the TA more precise. It will not work because they will not act accordingly to the TA but based on their greed, or loosing face threat or an opportunity to scr*w somebody to gain few dollars.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:48 pm

I think, what set off this misunderstanding is the way the OP phrased the initial post.
Is my landlord a tax cheat?

Is this something IRAS would be interested in hearing about (should the LL get on my really bad side)?
Almost sounded like OSOD with a vendetta in the making. Maybe he's an ole farmboy like I am and doesn't use a heck of a lot of tack. But, to be honest, the above set my teeth on edge as well. It's why I've stayed away from this thread as I took it exactly like all the other posters did.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:04 am

x9200 wrote:Why then it was assumed he was going to use it against his LL after we told him there was nothing illegal in it? Of course it is not good to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion but nobody said anything like this
Versus

[quote ="Huseinski"]
'Is my landlord a tax cheat?
Is this something IRAS would be interested in hearing about (should the LL get on my really bad side)?'[/quote]


Well, justly or not, I see an ammunition-gathering exercise for a looming fight ... :roll:

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9873
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:05 am

SMS, I agree, it can be understood this way, but then there are not many people coming to a place like this and asking "I'm going to shoot somebody when I am in a bad mood. Is it a good riffle?". He does not look to me like an idiot sociopath so I gave him some credit.

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9873
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:11 am

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Why then it was assumed he was going to use it against his LL after we told him there was nothing illegal in it? Of course it is not good to threaten a landlord about non-existent tax evasion but nobody said anything like this
Versus

'Is my landlord a tax cheat?
Is this something IRAS would be interested in hearing about (should the LL get on my really bad side)?'

Well, justly or not, I see an ammunition-gathering exercise for a looming fight ... :roll:
What I am opposing above is the claim he is going to attack his LL regardless what he discovered to be illegal or not.
For the ammunition gathering part yes, but I see it as a defensive not offensive weapon.
Anyway, we are all just speculating so it can be either way.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:38 am

x9200 wrote: Anyway, we are all just speculating so it can be either way.
True. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
x9200 wrote: Anyway, we are all just speculating so it can be either way.
True. :)
^^^ +1

X92, thanks for clarifying what you meant earlier; I was genuinely unsure about that, hence my question. I agree that perhaps we may have jumped to a conclusion based on the OP's original post; my intention (where I mis-quoted Oscar Wilde) was just to offer the general advice that it's better not to go out of your way to look for conflict. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that this was definitely what the OP intended to do, but TBH it did come across as a bit of an agressive opening stance to me.

JR8 has a lot of experience as a landlord (me too, but to a far lesser degree) and I think the general point is that as a landlord one would be a bit wary of a propspective tenant who came onto the scene apparently looking for ways to have something to potentially hold over the landlord's head later on. Again, I'm not wishing to cast aspersions in the OP's direction; just making the point that first impressions count for a lot.
Be careful what you wish for

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests