Singapore Expats Forum

Jurong area for Indians near Yuva Bharathi school

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 11:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:WD40, you haven't worked in the USofA then have you? They set up their own little walled communities (figuratively speaking) in the major US cities . They sent home for a suitably matchmade bride and woe be the poor indian girl who makes the mistake of sneaking out with an non-indian boy. In fact, been several murdered by brothers IN the US over just this little point. So, the point you make isn't necessarily ringing true.


That holds true for Chinese, Latinos, Italians and some east Europeans too, in USofA. May be it is more of a convenience thing than a racial / cultural thing.

And the honor killing in india is more complicated than racism and a different beast altogether. Killings coz of different race is rare in comparison with number of killings happen coz of different caste, different religion and different regional language.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:42 pm

proxymoron wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:WD40, you haven't worked in the USofA then have you? They set up their own little walled communities (figuratively speaking) in the major US cities . They sent home for a suitably matchmade bride and woe be the poor indian girl who makes the mistake of sneaking out with an non-indian boy. In fact, been several murdered by brothers IN the US over just this little point. So, the point you make isn't necessarily ringing true.


That holds true for Chinese, Latinos, Italians and some east Europeans too, in USofA. May be it is more of a convenience thing than a racial / cultural thing.

And the honor killing in india is more complicated than racism and a different beast altogether. Killings coz of different race is rare in comparison with number of killings happen coz of different caste, different religion and different regional language.


Just because it's more complicated, doesn't make it any more right, does it?

Oh, the other communities are quite happy to intermingle, therein lies the big difference. I know. My Grandparents, RIP, were immigrants to the US via Ellis Island in New York.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:58 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Heaven forbid! :o

Now I am beginning to understand why some condos have been 'colonised' to the point where they are nicknamed 'Little India'. Once of the nice things about the place where we stay is that there is a mixture of people from all over - local Singaporeans, Indians, Aussies, Europeans, Americans, etc. etc.

It's always nice to see the Indian kids playing cricket on the green areas near our condo, but I was even more pleased the other day when I saw that some Chinese kids had joined in too. I've never understood the desire to live in a monoculture with only 'your own people' - maybe I'm missing some vital piece of information about that way of thinking?


I can assure you Indians dont have the desire to live with "only" our kind of people. But yes we like to live in a place where our spouse or elderly parents can find friends with whom they can easily get along from day 1.

Kids being kids can easily get along with other races. No problems there. But for adults there can be lots of issues, especially language or culture barriers. I am not saying we dont interact at all with other races. In fact my immediate neighbours are filipinos and taiwanese and we get along very well.

Rev, I'm glad we can agree about kids getting on with each other, regardless of race, background, etc. It's what gives me hope for the future. Perhaps the OP just chose his words inappropriately (unfortunately we seem to have scared him off), but he asked "Are places in and around this school have lots of Indians? The reason is my kids are in secondary school and will need company else they will not like the place." The implication is that he feels they will only feel comfortable if there are lots of other Indian kids around. I would respectfully disagree with that viewpoint. In the various countries we've lived in, I've never gone looking for places to live with "lots of" Brits, Spanish, Europeans, etc. What I've always tried to find is a place that has a good mix of people from all different places and walks of life. And my kids have never had problems making friends wherever we've lived.

You say that "Indians dont have the desire to live with "only" our kind of people," but the fact remains that I've been in condos where there appear to be only Indians living there (and I've had some strange looks from a couple of people too, as if to say "What are you doing here?"). I think when you have an 'enclave' that is basically a monoculture, you are missing out on so much. I've seen this in the south of Spain over many years - Brits, Dutch, Germans, etc. retire to the Costas and form their own separate communities of... Brits, Dutch, Germans, etc. Some of them never even bother to learn a word of Spanish. What a wasted opportunity! Still, it's their lives and their money I guess. (Actually one of the few good things about the economic crisis there is that these communities are finally starting to open up and interact more).
Last edited by Mi Amigo on Fri, 08 Feb 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 1:07 pm

@SMS

It is not right, absolutely. In fact honor killings are a version of terrorism.

Also, I feel you are referring to the first generation Indian migrants in US. Coz I have cousins there in NY who are local born US citizens, who dont have anything Indian about them. Both of have multiracial friends and non-indian partners. I wouldnt be surprised if I see their kids complaining about some other first generation migrants who are not willing to intermingle.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 1:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I make no differentiation between Indian and Pakistani.


I do that a lot with Singaporeans and Malaysians. Same difference right?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 2:56 pm

Virtually. That's why Malaysian Chinese are able to get PR when nobody else seems to be able to. In fact, most here have relatives up there anyway.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 6:15 pm

proxymoron wrote:Also, I feel you are referring to the first generation Indian migrants in US. Coz I have cousins there in NY who are local born US citizens, who dont have anything Indian about them...


maybe i'm stereotyping doctors but i've had colleagues who are 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation indians. they're pretty much all traditional people, but less so with each successive generation.

maybe if i went outside of the medical community, they would be hip and happening. d o double g, yo.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests