Singapore Expats

Need advice for my situation

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
vypham149

Need advice for my situation

Post by vypham149 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 1:07 pm

I came to Singapore and studies Sec 3 in Government School. Currently i'm in year 2 Poly students, going to graduate next year. I have obtained couples of awards from Ngee Ann poly for my current course
So till now, I have been in Singapore for 5 years.
Is there any chance for me to apply PR? I'm a Vietnamese Chinese by the way.
I wish to further my study in local Uni as my current GPA allows me to enter. I'm quite worried about the school fee since it is really expensive for international students. Would it be possible to me to apply for PR when I graduated from poly so that i can continue my studies in local Uni?
Much appreciate with sincere recommendation and suggestions
Thank you,

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 6:13 pm

Probably not without volunteering for National Service first.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Need advice for my situation

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 7:37 pm

vypham149 wrote:...So till now, I have been in Singapore for 5 years.
Is there any chance for me to apply PR? I'm a Vietnamese Chinese by the way.

I wish to further my study in local Uni as my current GPA allows me to enter. I'm quite worried about the school fee since it is really expensive for international students.

Would it be possible to me to apply for PR when I graduated from poly so that i can continue my studies in local Uni?
well, you'll be able to take out some kinda loan from a bank and pay it back.

i don't think taking up PR just for cheap tuition is clever move. besides, you'll be bonded for a number of years too.

if you can't afford it but have the grades, try applying for grants/subsidies/scholarships here and else where.

otherwise, go work for a few years and save up. if you're what they want, i think the government'll automatically offer you PR. sunday is right - they would have to fulfill NS obligations after poly/JC...

much easier in the past, but there's no harm in keeping your ears and eyes peeled among the foreign students in your poly to see if any of them have a similar profile as you do and been given a chance to take up SPR.

vypham149

Post by vypham149 » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, pretty much appreciate