Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Singapore in 3 months

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
tbentley

Moving to Singapore in 3 months

Postby tbentley » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 6:14 am

Hi everyone!

My name is Tom and I am 26 from Wales.

My company will be moving to Singapore in 3 months, I wanted to get a head start on the best place to live, and lessons I should learn before I travel!

I hear Orchard is a good place for young people - but wanted to see what people thought and where they live?

My budget will be around 2000 to 2700 Singapore dollars.

I am hoping to meet some nice people aswell who may fancy meeting up when I arrive!

Thanks.

Tom

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 9:51 am

If you wanna get a flat unit to rent by yourself, I don't think 2000-2700 sgd is not enough in Orchard...

People tend to go to River Valley, or Bukit Timah, but it depends on whether you want to choose between convenience to go to work, a place to relax, or easy access for social life.

I know one guy who works at Jurong East area (way-way-way in the east west of SG) but he chose a unit to rent at the Raffles Place, around the CBD, because it's easier for him to hang out...I heard he got it around 4000 tho'...

Look around some more for advice. :)

I'll see ya around.
Last edited by Akimbo on Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:15 am

Akimbo wrote:If you wanna get a flat unit to rent by yourself, I don't think 2000-2700 sgd is not enough in Orchard...

People tend to go to River Valley, or Bukit Timah, but it depends on whether you want to choose between convenience to go to work, a place to relax, or easy access for social life.

I know one guy who works at Jurong East area (way-way-way in the east of SG) but he chose a unit to rent at the Raffles Place, around the CBD, because it's easier for him to hang out...I heard he got it around 4000 tho'...

Look around some more for advice. :)

I'll see ya around.

The last time I looked Jurong was in the west!

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:02 am

Ah sorry, got that screwed up :???:

Yeah, Saint's right, Jurong East is at the WEST of Singapore.

Sorry for the confusion... :lol:
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Postby alittlerisky » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 2:29 pm

yer... raffles place/clarke quay is bloody expensive. I came here a month ago, my company paid for the two weeks of hotel in a $200 a night place near Novena.

When that ran out I searched for "cheap hotel singapore" and booked myself into the cheapest hotel I could find within 5 stops of raffles, where I work. As it happens, I only looked after I'd booked and paid into what the area exactly the hotel was in. As it happens, I'm in Geylang, basically the red light district. But at 50 bucks a night I'm not bothered. And there are like 5-6 24hour food courts within 2 minutes walk. Its actually nicer in Geylang that raffles/clarke quay. Its like actually being in Asia.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 6:19 pm

I've known a number of expats (couples, all of them) who lived in Geylang and loved it. :cool:

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Postby alittlerisky » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 9:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've known a number of expats (couples, all of them) who lived in Geylang and loved it. :cool:

I'm single. I am currently in a hotel until end feb, then have to find my own place. Have the doing the normal expat thing, looking at Clarke Quay (sell your mother) condos etc.. then realised... Geylang is actually pretty cool. Great food, very friendly ladies hahaha. Not really into that kind of thing. But the hotel is clean, its like four MRT stop stops from raffles, and the rent is a hell of alot cheaper than clarcke quay/orhard etc.

Do it. You know it makes sense.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 9:46 am

And you are pretty close to the No Signboard Seafood Restuarant! :cool:

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 9:57 am

You could look at HDB housing rather than condo to improve the choice in your price range.

For only a little above your maximum budget I rent a three bedroom, two bathroom place in Toa Payoh.

HDB isn't to everyones liking though, I am sure you will get opinions here :-)

Suits me fine though, big apartment, central location, close to the MRT, supermarket, wet market and eating places.

Niek040

Postby Niek040 » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 2:25 pm

Holland Village & Bueno vista also a nice area.. Littlebit out of the centre, quite near to everything..

tbentley

Postby tbentley » Wed, 14 Aug 2013 3:34 pm

Wow that was quick! Thanks so much.

Will check out Geyland, Holland Village & Bueno Vista

Im basically looking for a one bed studio or flat in a good location with preferably a pool. work assign me an agent to help but wanted to see what people thought was the best area.

Hopefully there will be some good parties & events on here to check out!

nilsw

Postby nilsw » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:16 pm

I actually live in Geylang, as well and can only recommend it.. If try to stay in the not too dodgy part it is still a pretty virbant neighboorhoud with plenty of good food around. paya lebar mrt is just around the corner for me so the connection into town is fine as well.. Id rather look around that area and actually get some value for your money...