Singapore Expats

SPR sponsors wife's Dependant PR, rejected in 2 months

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
wifetosg

SPR sponsors wife's Dependant PR, rejected in 2 months

Post by wifetosg » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 4:50 pm

Hi,
I'm Indonesian Chinese, working in SG since 2003 and got my SPR since 2004. My REP valid til 2019.
Drawing 67K per annum.
Holding bach's degree.
Submitted the PR application for my wife in early Nov 2012.
Just received a letter sentencing that is has been declined, no reasons given and does not indicate waiting time interval to reapply.

My wife is also Indon Chinese.
We got married in 2012, ROM in SG.
Both 35 yrs old. No kids.

She is working in a bank in Jakarta, holding master's degree.
Salary 27K per annum.
She used to work in SG for 5+ years. on WP. in 2001-2006.
Got approval from MoM to get married in SG.

She will not be comfortable at home and not working if we were to apply for LTVP.
But if she comes in as LTVP holder and applies for a job, in order to be qualified an EP P2, she needs to earn more than 4.5K. Which would make the chances thinned down by much. Even Q1 is made to sound difficult.

What could have been wrong with our application ?
and what are our options next?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 5:59 pm

The problem is that your wife is not resident with you in Singapore. Apply ltsvp for her and if she has that status for a year or 2 and then you apply for PR, it should be favorable.

Ask her to look for a job in Singapore while on ltsvp, she may get a s pass level job also is good. ICA won't care what pass she holds as long as you can support her and are earning enough for that.

But if you wife continue to remin in Indonesia you may never get PR. You need to decide Singapore or Indonesia?

wifetosg

Post by wifetosg » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:16 am

thanks for the tips, Wd40.

We suspected that, but we are sure to settle down here.
However to give up job and move down here jobless is something she would like to avoid if she could.

in her PR application, as you probably know it's required to provide a letter of explanation why we are not living together. But isnt that the reason why we are applying for it, so she can have a proper permit and move here and we live together...?! I dont quite understand the logic of ICA requesting for this letter. We need their permit to live together per se.
It seems to be the same for LTVP, the same letter is required.
Any tips for that? probably what we wrote wasnt convincing.

Does she have to give up job and stay here to apply and then wait for LTVP - on tourist 30-day pass ?
or can she remain in Jakarta working, then give up her job once we got the LTVP approved?

thanks again.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 8:32 am

Wd40 wrote:The problem is that your wife is not resident with you in Singapore.
There was a number of cases described on this board where PR was granted while the person was living abroad.
I would expect the primary reason for the rejection to be short duration of the marriage. Even with the MOM approval (probably sufficient to get her LTVP) this still can be seen as a marriage of convenience.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 8:41 am

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:The problem is that your wife is not resident with you in Singapore.
There was a number of cases described on this board where PR was granted while the person was living abroad.
I would expect the primary reason for the rejection to be short duration of the marriage. Even with the MOM approval (probably sufficient to get her LTVP) this still can be seen as a marriage of convenience.
I think that was back in the good old days. Now they would be asking if a person is not living in Singapore and working in a foreign country why is the need for PR.

Also to the OP, PR is meant to remain here in Singapore through good times and tough times(in SMS's own words) so you can't just stay in Indonesia keep working and apply for PR on the condition that you will move to Singapore only if you get PR.

You need to decide which is home Singapore or Indonesia. You need to stay here even if you are jobless if you want to make Singapore your home. If not you are an abuser. Again those are SMS's words and probably in the eyes of ICA too.

So OP now you have the hint there. In the letter if you mention the reason for your wife not staying with you, as need to work, then you will never get PR. You need to give a stronger reason like taking care of elderly parent or something that would imply that she is there only for short term and will join you soon without any conditions applied.

But if you have already given out the real reason then forget it, the only way out will be to get the ltsvp and live with you here.

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:11 am

I think age of your wife of 35 years old while not having babies will contribute negatively to singapore fertility rate.
Probably have a baby before apply again.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 4:21 pm

PR is the official recognition for people who have shown sincere intent to make Singapore their permanent home.
Thus, you have to show that intent first, then apply for PR.
You want it exactly the other way: First get PR, then settle here.
Sorry, it doesn't work that way!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:43 pm

The problem is, lot's of Indonesian Chinese were brought in exactly that way up till about 1.5 years ago when they formally shut down the LPR Scheme (Landed Permanent Resident) where you were pre-approved before arriving here and only had to find a job to get the PR (didn't even have to be a good job. It could be flipping burgers as long as it was full time.)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 6:01 pm

This logic only applies to PR to be obtained on its own merit (technical scheme) and has IMHO no ground for family/dependant PRs. If not, PRs for new borns should never be granted before they reach few years of age. It can be easily assumed and is painfully common sense that if one member of direct family is already here and has the PR status the intention of the other one or/and children is to join.