Singapore Expats Forum

Things you like about Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 3:39 pm

Things I like most:
1. Dragon fruit
2. Persimmons
3. No sales tax on most things

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 3:50 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:No sales tax on most things

Is that true? I thought GST was charged on the majority of stuff sold here nowadays?
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 3:59 pm

He doesn't realize that the sales tax is already included in the price and it's only if it's not in the price that it must be stated as such. Just the opposite of the US. All he needs to do is look at his sales receipt. However, if it's a small mom & pop shop and their annual turnover is less than 1 million/year then they do not have to register for GST and therefore do not charge. Whereas in the US, I believe every business has to charge GST (sales tax) if the state they are operating in has a sales tax. There are only five states that do not have a sales tax per se:
Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 2:44 pm

ice chendol my god mmmmmmmmm is lovely

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 7:54 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:ice chendol my god mmmmmmmmm is lovely


You can get that from Malaysia as well.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 8:34 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:ice chendol my god mmmmmmmmm is lovely


You can get that from Malaysia as well.


oh! but I discovered it here so it counts in my list of things I like in Singapore :cool:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 7:01 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:ice chendol my god mmmmmmmmm is lovely


You can get that from Malaysia as well.


oh! but I discovered it here so it counts in my list of things I like in Singapore :cool:


Just thought it's worth a mention that if food is one of the things you like about Singapore and if Singapore suddenly ceases to exist, it won't be a great loss as you still have a country from which to get it.

:wink:

#hatersgonnahate

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 9:27 am

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:ice chendol my god mmmmmmmmm is lovely


You can get that from Malaysia as well.


oh! but I discovered it here so it counts in my list of things I like in Singapore :cool:


Just thought it's worth a mention that if food is one of the things you like about Singapore and if Singapore suddenly ceases to exist, it won't be a great loss as you still have a country from which to get it.

:wink:

#hatersgonnahate


stop being so negative about it man :D its still a lot better compared to many other places around asia

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 1:47 am

Not only SG, and MY, but Indon too.

The original Indo-rockers 'The Tielman Brothers'; they had a song called 'Cendol sunrise'.






http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tielman_Brothers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 9:29 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:ice chendol my god mmmmmmmmm is lovely


You can get that from Malaysia as well.


oh! but I discovered it here so it counts in my list of things I like in Singapore :cool:


Just thought it's worth a mention that if food is one of the things you like about Singapore and if Singapore suddenly ceases to exist, it won't be a great loss as you still have a country from which to get it.

:wink:

#hatersgonnahate


stop being so negative about it man :D its still a lot better compared to many other places around asia


A lot of things are.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 7:01 am

Brah wrote:
beppi wrote:Kodomo = Child (Japanese)
Komodo = Island populated by lizards (Indonesia)

The change of topic from ladies to lizards was a bit surprizing to me too, in the beginning, but it makes sense!


Oops!

But I'm not surprised by my slip, good catch you guys. I just have much more opportunity to say "kodomo" than "Komodo"

Anyway, a Kodomo Dragon is so last year.....

This just in... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... 25612.html

User avatar
RonnieT
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon, 04 Mar 2013

Postby RonnieT » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 3:01 pm

I love the fact that it is so CLEANNNNN compared to the other majoe asian cities.

User avatar
imhuishan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby imhuishan » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 12:30 pm

we are much sheltered from major natural disasters like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes... i also appreciate her straightforward taxation system and the ease of setting up companies here.
Let's go LOHAS - do good, feel good and look good!

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 8:17 am

imhuishan wrote:we are much sheltered from major natural disasters like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes... i also appreciate her straightforward taxation system and the ease of setting up companies here.


No tsunamis either!!!

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:05 am

girls girls girls!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests