Singapore Expats Forum

Things you like about Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:54 pm

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:have you even been in a situation where you all you had to buy salt and sugar and there were 12 brands and 6 types to choose between them? :???:


That's nothing; go to NYC and your neighbourhod grocer will stock 30 types of milk.

p.s. The plural of fruit is fruit, not fruits, which is the collective noun for homosexual men.

@WD40
Interesting point re: career options. In my ex-shop, most of the more lowly jobs went to locals, and most of the high-end stuff was filled by internal transfer. On the other hand the CAO was local (he knew all the rules, regs and people). We also hired our former auditor (ditto).



I always thought that this was the usage for fruit vs fruits
"Fruit" is a noun. It's usually uncountable, i.e it isn't used in plural. But when you use it in plural you mean different kinds of fruit

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:39 am

Because I like Googling for 3 seconds, and then copying and pasting to look smart:

Usage notes
In the botanical and figurative senses, fruit is usually treated as uncountable:
a bowl of fruit; eat plenty of fruit; the tree provides fruit.
fruits is also sometimes used as the plural in the botanical sense:
berries, achenes, and nuts are all fruits; the fruits of this plant split into two parts.
When fruit is treated as uncountable in the botanical sense, a piece of fruit is often used as a singulative.
In senses other than the botanical or figurative ones derived from the botanical sense, the plural is fruits.
The culinary sense often does not cover true fruits that are savoury or used chiefly in savoury foods, such as tomatoes and peas. These are normally described simply as vegetables.


Clear as mud, eh? :)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:49 am

x9200 wrote:I very much appreciate this kind of remarks - thanks JR8, but I am lost a bit in this case. I see it is used in a plural form:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/fruit
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fruits

Hard to agree with some remarks over there that there is no plural form as it is an uncountable noon. IMHO it is both countable and uncountable depending on the context (I am not talking about homosexuality). Now, I have really problem to distinguish what and when based on the examples given in the above pages. I would probably use "fruits" in the context rajagainstthemachine used it.


Thanks for those links which I read. The parallel with fish/fishes was interesting.

I don't know how to explain it as I've never had much interest in the formal structure of the English language.

But 'varieties of fruits' sounds wrong to my ear, akin to a '''doubled up plural'''. If fruits is a range of different kinds of fruit, then I'd have expected to say 'A variety of fruits'.

But like I said I'm no linguist!

Edroche
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue, 04 Aug 2009

Postby Edroche » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Low tax

Maggie Goreng


maggi goreng is great! Goes well with a kopitiam tiger evening.

Edroche
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue, 04 Aug 2009

other likes?

Postby Edroche » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 1:07 pm

One of the best things to do in terms of outdoor sports is Kayaking from Pasir Ris Park to Pulau Ubin and into the mangroves. This is really great. You can see a bunch of monitor lizards, kingfishers, water snakes, mudskippers, eagles, jellyfish, terrapins and all those sorts out there. Also a monkey or 2 if you are lucky.

Otherwise a Saturday afternoon cycle along Changi runway and up to Changi beach bistro, watching the air traffic come in/out.

freshmeat
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
Location: In transition

Postby freshmeat » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 1:48 pm

Edroche wrote:
maggi goreng is great! Goes well with a kopitiam tiger evening.


I do miss kopi tiam. Better than Starbucks IMHO.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34781
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: other likes?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 2:40 pm

Edroche wrote:One of the best things to do in terms of outdoor sports is Kayaking from Pasir Ris Park to Pulau Ubin and into the mangroves. This is really great. You can see a bunch of monitor lizards, kingfishers, water snakes, mudskippers, eagles, jellyfish, terrapins and all those sorts out there. Also a monkey or 2 if you are lucky.

Otherwise a Saturday afternoon cycle along Changi runway and up to Changi beach bistro, watching the air traffic come in/out.


I used to see all that in my compound in Seletar. Well, the mangroves were only a 5 minute walk away but you could add pythons & cobras to the mix in my back yard with the monitors & kingfishers (beautiful birds) & thieving monkeys (very rare by the time I left though). Also had a flock of flying foxes who visited regularly not counting the 100's of small fruit bats in my attic.

Loved it!

Edroche
Regular
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue, 04 Aug 2009

Re: other likes?

Postby Edroche » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 4:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Edroche wrote:One of the best things to do in terms of outdoor sports is Kayaking from Pasir Ris Park to Pulau Ubin and into the mangroves. This is really great. You can see a bunch of monitor lizards, kingfishers, water snakes, mudskippers, eagles, jellyfish, terrapins and all those sorts out there. Also a monkey or 2 if you are lucky.

Otherwise a Saturday afternoon cycle along Changi runway and up to Changi beach bistro, watching the air traffic come in/out.


I used to see all that in my compound in Seletar. Well, the mangroves were only a 5 minute walk away but you could add pythons & cobras to the mix in my back yard with the monitors & kingfishers (beautiful birds) & thieving monkeys (very rare by the time I left though). Also had a flock of flying foxes who visited regularly not counting the 100's of small fruit bats in my attic.

Loved it!


Thats nuts! We saw a python come out of one of those tidal canals in Pasir Ris. It was no joke, proper massive snake and I nearly swallowed my tongue. Called the local authorities and they turned up 24 hours later. Flying foxes must have been great. As fond as I am of the critters out east I’ve have to say that the Asian Koel bird would break your heart at 5am.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:22 pm

Edroche, can I just say that your new avatar looks really sinister and gives me the willies? Calmday's was just creepy but yours is something else... :shock:
Be careful what you wish for

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2011

Postby Hidy Ho » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:26 pm

-- Lower tax (although I will find out how much I will get rimmed for US tax soon :x )

-- Close to other SE destinations with world class airport

-- Cheap taxis and public transportation (although I live close enough to walk to work and back)

-- plenty of cheap food around; although I prefer Bangkok food choices personally

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:26 pm

There was a monitor lizard the size of a small dog traipsing around Robertson Walk a while back. I should upload the pictures I took of it.

Not sure how they'd react if one crossed their path up close.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2007

Postby alittlerisky » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:29 pm

the girls!

I have never seen so many pretty and well-dressed ladies in my life.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34781
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:48 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Edroche, can I just say that your new avatar looks really sinister and gives me the willies? Calmday's was just creepy but yours is something else... :shock:


I think it looks like every yapping four-footed ankle-biter. I like dogs. Ones that go WooF!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:54 pm

freshmeat wrote:I do miss kopi tiam. Better than Starbucks IMHO.


They're completely different things.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 5:55 pm

alittlerisky wrote:the girls!

I have never seen so many pretty and well-dressed ladies in my life.


You need to visit some more places :P They do generally dress nice in CBD, but some of the fashion you see in the heartlands... oh boy.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest