Singapore Expats

Alternative Music&Movies

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
HolyPastry

Alternative Music&Movies

Post by HolyPastry » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 8:55 pm

Does anybody knows any showroom or bars where one can hear good alternative music?

Same with movies, any good theatre in town?

-Seb

pharmMD

Post by pharmMD » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:06 am

Hey, Seb!

There are lots of movie theaters here so it really depends which area you're in. Lido and Cathay Cineplex are the ones I frequent due to proximity.

What types of music do you listen to? Can't be of too much help in that area coz Im looking for places with good music meself.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by alittlerisky » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:40 am

pharmMD wrote: What types of music do you listen to? Can't be of too much help in that area coz Im looking for places with good music meself.
Yer me too. I listen to mostly rock/guitar music, metal to jazz. Alot of 50s-60s-70s-80s rock. Brazilan jazz, and some classical guitar stuff.

Cant find anywhere here. But I do listen to some pretty obscure stuff.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll find somewhere, I've only been here a 27 days. I have time.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

pharmMD

Post by pharmMD » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:16 am

In that case, welcome! You may want to try BluJaz sometime. And let me know if you find other good spots.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:33 am

Go to La Salsa at Dempsey during Thurs-Sat...the band there plays all the old songs (as they're also at "that" age). I love how I down my Scotch at the counter with them singing Purple Rain on stage awesomely.

By the way, if it's alternative music that you want, BluJaz is the place, and also Homeclub on Fridays.

Anybody else has any ideas?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:50 pm

Is Mikaela still singing there at BluJaz??
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGslinger » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 2:20 pm

Akimbo wrote:Go to La Salsa at Dempsey during Thurs-Sat...the band there plays all the old songs (as they're also at "that" age). I love how I down my Scotch at the counter with them singing Purple Rain on stage awesomely.
Haha I like how you're calling Purple Rain "old."

But seriously: I'm a bit confused by what exactly the OP is looking for. Is it alternative as in non-mainstream? Or alternative as in Seattle grunge from the 90s? Or alternative as in deliberately obscure stuff like some clown making computer music out of his parents' basement and calling it "seminal"?

Same goes with movies: What is an alternative movie? Non-English? Arthouse/limited release? Documentaries? There's not a great market for any of those in Singapore except during festivals.

SGslinger
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGslinger » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 2:31 pm

Although to clarify that last comment: Theatres show a lot of Chinese movies from Hong Kong etc, Tiong Bahru Plaza manages to show random Thai movies from time to time, and you get to see the odd Korean flick. And of course, all the Indian (Hindi) blockbusters. European films are not very common though.

roxy8foxy

Re: Alternative Music&Movies

Post by roxy8foxy » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 4:13 pm

HolyPastry wrote:Does anybody knows any showroom or bars where one can hear good alternative music?

Same with movies, any good theatre in town?

-Seb
I dont know about the music..
But if ou ask me about movies... Shaw Lido is the best (in my opinion)

R

trebleclef81

Post by trebleclef81 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 4:31 pm

Movie theatres aren't special one from the other... as long as I get to watch what I paid for.

If you haven't already watched any movies in Singapore, get ready to be annoyed by cinema goers using mobile phones, Whatsapp and f*king Facebook while the movie is going on. I ever lost patience and told people off because the glare from the mobile phones was simply distracting. Not to mention the whisperings, the seat kicking, the laughter at scenes that are not even funny...

Alliance francaise de Singapour has a Cine Club; they play French films with English subtitles (not that you'd need it) if that's the sort of alternative you're asking about.

trebleclef81

Post by trebleclef81 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 4:33 pm

also something different...

http://www.screeningroom.com.sg/

I must add they serve the most yummy Mojitos at the rooftop.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by alittlerisky » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 4:40 pm

trebleclef81 wrote: Alliance francaise de Singapour has a Cine Club; they play French films with English subtitles (not that you'd need it) if that's the sort of alternative you're asking about.
Hello Miss TC, you have any contact details for Alliance Francaise? As you know je parle courrament le francais and dont want to forget it.

toodles

M
[/code]

trebleclef81

Post by trebleclef81 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 4:54 pm

oui, aller à http://www.alliancefrancaise.org.sg/cine-club/

j'apprendre la francais mais je ne parle pas bien

only problem is their movies are on Tuesday evenings, and that sucks for me.

go get out and do something more in Singapore, instead of hanging around in Geylang district ;)

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by alittlerisky » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 5:23 pm

trebleclef81 wrote:oui, aller à http://www.alliancefrancaise.org.sg/cine-club/

j'apprendre la francais mais je ne parle pas bien

only problem is their movies are on Tuesday evenings, and that sucks for me.

go get out and do something more in Singapore, instead of hanging around in Geylang district ;)
Cheers

I can help you with French.

And whats wrong with Geylang?? All the girls seem really friendly! :roll:

HolyPastry

Post by HolyPastry » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:21 am

Thanks everybody for the answers.

I let the topic fairly wide on purpose, I'm just sometime craving for something else than the pop/holywood/bollywood type of

I'm already going time to time to the Blujazz, and will definitively check that Salsa bar mentioned.

As for movies, I suppose I'll just keep watching movie on my computer for now...