Singapore Expats Forum

What is the purpose of a Long Term Visit Pass?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2011

Postby Hidy Ho » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 5:07 pm

Wd40 wrote:Another possible reason could also be the fact that SMS has highlighted, that is drain on the country's infrastructure.


I'm trying to understand this part. As far as I know, nothing is given freely here so how would bringing parents do this?

And I have been on this site for only 1+ yr but, IMHO, I also read SMS's view on people from India sub-continent as xenophobia. I mean, OP took the high road but statement like "I'd almost bet you married for the same reason" just cheapens his long term knowledge on the subject.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 5:42 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Another possible reason could also be the fact that SMS has highlighted, that is drain on the country's infrastructure.


I'm trying to understand this part. As far as I know, nothing is given freely here so how would bringing parents do this?

Just one example common in the papers nowadays: the locals are already complaining about the overcrowded MRT and buses and it is impossible to continuously increase the frequency of the services. What should they do with this? Rise the fare prices? In other words It is about the limited resources rather than something not being paid. We like it or not the resources of Singapore are limited.

lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Postby lolipop99 » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 6:31 pm

It could be just a technical problem, how did you apply for the LSVP? The correct procedure is to apply ONLINE only, as they may have seperate group of officers who process ONLINE and PAPER application. You must have a SVP valid for more than 10 days and meet other criteria to apply online, otherwise you will have to apply in person. Usually people apply in person when they are in trouble such as overstaying, have SVP that expired, near expired, being in special pass etc... so the officers are very strict in verifying these cases and sometime they look more into income and other factors too. From your post, it seems like you apply in person at ICA counter and not online application. You may try submit an application online, then the next day go to ICA to submit the supporting documents. We did that and got approved in 2 weeks time, for 3 years both.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 6:57 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Another possible reason could also be the fact that SMS has highlighted, that is drain on the country's infrastructure.


I'm trying to understand this part. As far as I know, nothing is given freely here so how would bringing parents do this?


Well, whether it really is a drain on the country's infrastructure or not is secondary. But atleast that is the perception among the locals, if you read some of the comment section in articles in Yahoo SG etc, the most common comment is "We see so many foreigners everywhere. They make the MRT overcrowed and they sit on the reserved seats pretending to be sleeping while old Singaporeans are standing". These are the kind of comments there. MoM thought of a way to reduce the foreigners yet have minimal impact on economy, by restricting the number of dependents. Although I dont think the poor old parents of workers here really travel on MRTs and that too on weekdays during peak hours. So the logic behind the move doesnt look sound at all. Its only pissing of some of the workers who are really contributing to this country but also want their parents here.

But like I said earlier, their country, their rules.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 8:05 pm

You say you want to allow your parents to visit without the hassle of getting visas (i.e. for their convenience), but are applying for a residency pass (i.e. a significant privilege).

So, you're applying for the wrong thing, and it likely that ICA believe you are knowingly playing games.

Plus if your parents are wishing to visit that long/frequently that an SVP is not appropriate then presumably they are not in employment. So how would you support them on your salary, and pay rent, pay your maid, and support your wife and child? IMHO the circle doesn't square.

Just my 2c.

ancientmariner
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 21 Jul 2010
Location: Sailing

Postby ancientmariner » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 8:55 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:
And I have been on this site for only 1+ yr but, IMHO, I also read SMS's view on people from India sub-continent as xenophobia. I mean, OP took the high road but statement like "I'd almost bet you married for the same reason" just cheapens his long term knowledge on the subject.


+1
Last edited by ancientmariner on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody knows about future!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 9:24 pm

Xenophobic? Hardly, I'm not a Singaporean. And I don't have anything against Indians. In fact, had you done some real research here you would know that I'll be celebrating 30 years of marriage to my Indian wife. In fact, my daughter just had here traditional wedding ceremony in Kerala (which we all attended) on the 4th of January.

Whether it "cheapens" my knowledge or not, I really don't give a fig as has been obvious for over 8 years here. I call it as I see it based on literally years of anecdotal evidence both here on this board and my years as an HR & Finance manager here for a 200+ man SME (with 50% foreigners). I tell you what goes through the mind of the average ICA/MOM/IRAS officer as close as the information we've gathered over the years. I don't have a degree in spoon-feeding, but usually just throwing grub in the bowl for the animals on the farm. But, what you will get is a very good idea of what goes through those officers minds (usually unspoken). So, if you have an idea of how they are thinking, you can hypothesize accordingly. I'm not really here in a popularity contest, but the thanks I've gotten over the years, brusque or not, make me think that I'm still on the track. If this is the only time you've ever had your feathers ruffled, you are lucky. Wait till you've been around as long as I have. Some here call me gramps for a reason.

'nuff said.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 9:52 pm

So SMS, how was the Kerala trip, would love to hear how you felt having a first hand experience of visiting the country? :)

@ancientmariner, pls edit your post, you have mis quoted me.

ancientmariner
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 21 Jul 2010
Location: Sailing

Postby ancientmariner » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:24 pm

Wd40 wrote:@ancientmariner, pls edit your post, you have mis quoted me.


Sorry!!! ...done.
Nobody knows about future!

ancientmariner
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 21 Jul 2010
Location: Sailing

Postby ancientmariner » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Xenophobic? Hardly, I'm not a Singaporean. And I don't have anything against Indians. In fact, had you done some real research here you would know that I'll be celebrating 30 years of marriage to my Indian wife. In fact, my daughter just had here traditional wedding ceremony in Kerala (which we all attended) on the 4th of January.

Whether it "cheapens" my knowledge or not, I really don't give a fig as has been obvious for over 8 years here. I call it as I see it based on literally years of anecdotal evidence both here on this board and my years as an HR & Finance manager here for a 200+ man SME (with 50% foreigners). I tell you what goes through the mind of the average ICA/MOM/IRAS officer as close as the information we've gathered over the years. I don't have a degree in spoon-feeding, but usually just throwing grub in the bowl for the animals on the farm. But, what you will get is a very good idea of what goes through those officers minds (usually unspoken). So, if you have an idea of how they are thinking, you can hypothesize accordingly. I'm not really here in a popularity contest, but the thanks I've gotten over the years, brusque or not, make me think that I'm still on the track. If this is the only time you've ever had your feathers ruffled, you are lucky. Wait till you've been around as long as I have. Some here call me gramps for a reason.

'nuff said.


Sorry SMS...no hard feelings....I just concurred with what I felt right!!! ...rightly so, you have said what you felt correct.
Nobody knows about future!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:02 pm

I never have hard feelings. If I did, there is no way I'd have lasted this long here. Especially when I'm usually the target of all the trolls because nobody gets me ruffled. Life's to short to have hard feelings. I do this because when I came here, there wasn't any way to get the valuable info as there wasn't any internet back then. Today I'm giving back what I can, but I don't EVER try to blow smoke. From me you get that facts and my gut feelings/reactions (a lot IS intuition - seriously) and most of us old-timers get pretty good at it. We had to in order to survive here that long and still have a semblance of sanity! :cool:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:30 am

+1

They say that bull-sh****** your parents is hard, and for a reason. Well, trying the same with your grand-parents is doubly so. Because they've seen it all before, and they can often read a situation like a book.

With age comes experience. With experience comes wisdom.

:) :cool:

cintadude
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 31 Jan 2013

Postby cintadude » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 1:23 pm

>Stereotypes occur because it happens in a pattern

Isn't that the definition of racism ?

I think the mods views here should be balanced and not blatantly racist. The below-the-belt "you married because you wanted PR" was really uncalled for.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 2:48 pm

Tough. More times than not, it is and has been the case. If it touched a raw nerve with you, then I must have touched you pretty closely, for you to register just to say that. :wink:

While I don't have statistics at had to back it up, it's also a common ploy, also recognized by the ICA that lots of PRC and VN single women come here to find a local husband to get a ticket out of their country as well. The numbers of them that cannot even get LTVPs after marrying a local are pretty high.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, well, damn good possibility that it IS a duck. Did you just waddle in here? I heard some quacking in your post as well.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 5:14 pm

Marriage of convenience is a common thing to gain US citizenship. But someone to do that in Singapore, he must be desperate like crazy. Desperate as in like he did some big crime in his home country or just cannot go back.

The OP in this case is far from that, I can't imagine anyone will do that for Singapore mind you, not even Bangladeshi workers.

Pakistanis for sure wont do that. They have much better work opportunities in the Middle East which is booming at the moment and its compatible for them religionwise and it's even closer to home.

Have a read at this article:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-toug ... 80%99.html

He noted in parliament that there are 12 cases of sham marriages in the first half of this year, compared to four or five annually over the past five years


If Singapore was really that attractive I would have imagined that number to be much higher. The statistics is so low that suspecting someone on this forum to be on that list is like suspecting everyone to be a criminal.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest