Singapore Expats

Verizon iPhone in SG

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
qaztrader

Verizon iPhone in SG

Post by qaztrader » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 2:50 am

I will be moving from NY to Singapore shortly. I heard that I would not be able to switch carriers on my iPhone because it was bought through Verizon and not from the Apple store. Is this correct? If so what should be my plan regarding purchasing a new iPhone that will be functional in Singapore? Thanks!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Verizon iPhone in SG

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 2:59 am

qaztrader wrote:I will be moving from NY to Singapore shortly. I heard that I would not be able to switch carriers on my iPhone because it was bought through Verizon and not from the Apple store. Is this correct? If so what should be my plan regarding purchasing a new iPhone that will be functional in Singapore? Thanks!
You cannot use a Verizon phone because it is on the CDMA network whereas, Singapore, like most of the rest of the world, is on GSM.

You should purchase your phone in Singapore. The government requires that all phones be unlocked when sold, so no carrier issues, just slide in another SIM. Prices for Apple products are competitive with other countries (ie, Apple rapes everyone equally). With a phone plan you can get a phone quite cheaply as opposed to paying full freight at a US Apple store, just to get something unlocked.

And while I am not sure if it applies to iPhones, for many other electronics, if sold in the US, they only come with a US warranty, whereas most electronics sold in Singapore come with an international warranty.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 10:02 am

Actually, it depends on the model of iPhone. Some of the Verizon iPhones had SIM card slots. I've heard Verizon will unlock it for you if you're in good contract standing.

I believe it is the iPhone 4S and 5 which you can do this with (but you may not get LTE here with that 5). The Verizon iPhone 4 was the CDMA only model.

Apple's warranty is international, as long as you take it to an authorized service center.

qaztrader

Post by qaztrader » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 3:17 am

Thank you very much for your in depth responses. I appreciate your help!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 3:46 am

zzm9980 wrote:Actually, it depends on the model of iPhone. Some of the Verizon iPhones had SIM card slots. I've heard Verizon will unlock it for you if you're in good contract standing.
The research I have done indicates that the Verizon version of iPhone is CDMA only, so doesn't really matter much if they unlock it or not... it won't work.

However, the Apple store does sell an iPhone 5 that is both CDMA and GSM... but given the fact that AT&T and T-Mobile support GSM, I still don't know why OP wouldn't opt for a phone from Singtel or Starhub.