Singapore Expats Forum

calling all Belgians!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2007

Postby alittlerisky » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:44 am

Dolph wrote:I believe Oosters does Jupiler. The food is decidedly average there, but decent selection of Belgian beer.


Yo... where's Oosters? If they have jupiler, I'm going to rent a permanent table there.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:06 pm

alittlerisky wrote:
Dolph wrote:I believe Oosters does Jupiler. The food is decidedly average there, but decent selection of Belgian beer.


Yo... where's Oosters? If they have jupiler, I'm going to rent a permanent table there.



According to this they do:
http://www.oosters.com.sg/beer-menu/

My favourite from their list of Belgian beers that you don't find everywhere (ie. not owned by interbrew) is Palm.

located on the pedestrian bar street on far east sq.
Good after work area, weekend totally dead and most places are closed, can't recall if Oosters open on weekend, Fridays for sure.

Edited to add other destinations for Belgian beers:

There's also Brussels Sprout that has 3 locations, with Jupiler on their beer list, not to mention that they have Rodenbach on their list:
http://www.brusselssprouts.com.sg/Drink-list_Beer.html

and Charlie's corner in Changi Village used to have pretty much all worth drinking Belgian beers, but that place seems to be under renovation currently if I'm not mistaken.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2007

Postby alittlerisky » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 2:26 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
According to this they do:
http://www.oosters.com.sg/beer-menu/

My favourite from their list of Belgian beers that you don't find everywhere (ie. not owned by interbrew) is Palm.

located on the pedestrian bar street on far east sq.
Good after work area, weekend totally dead and most places are closed, can't recall if Oosters open on weekend, Fridays for sure.

Edited to add other destinations for Belgian beers:

There's also Brussels Sprout that has 3 locations, with Jupiler on their beer list, not to mention that they have Rodenbach on their list:
http://www.brusselssprouts.com.sg/Drink-list_Beer.html

and Charlie's corner in Changi Village used to have pretty much all worth drinking Belgian beers, but that place seems to be under renovation currently if I'm not mistaken.


Ok man, cheers for that. Nice to see someone who likes les bieres belges aussi. Or Vlaams bier dank u wel.

Although, I have to disagree with you on Palm. But then its all about personal taste. My preferred tipple (apart from Jupiler) is Westmalle Triple. Altho weighing in at 9.5% the aftermath is not often pleasant. Rodenbach is a great great summer afternoon "beer"... and you can drink five and still be fine at work after a few... its like 3.5% if I remember...or maybe I'm thinking of Pecheresse (peach beer/gueuze)... dunno.

Bon, ben... alors, a la prochaine, mec...
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

MostlyHarmless
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 16 Oct 2010

Postby MostlyHarmless » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 1:57 pm

For a very nice selection of Belgian Trappist beers for very reasonable prices (well, for Singapore anyway) and a bit off the beaten tracks, go to Witbier Cafe[https://www.facebook.com/WitbierCafeSingapore] in Kandahar street. They do not have Jupiler though, but do have Duvel too :)

[quote="alittlerisky"][

Ok man, cheers for that. Nice to see someone who likes les bieres belges aussi. Or Vlaams bier dank u wel.

.[/quote]

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 5:13 pm

the lynx wrote:
alittlerisky wrote:
durain wrote:re biltong chinese style - bak kwa :)


what's bak kwa? And where can I get some?


And now that the Chinese New Year is approaching, bakkwa will be flooding like mad! Every bakkwa stores will have sales and promotion, and you will eat until you will beg NOT to be given any more of it.

At my workplace, my vendors and clients are started giving bags and bags of fresh bakkwa. The problem is that they are made fresh, so there is no preservative in them so we have to finish them off - pronto!


you can freeze them indefinitely, and thaw to eat or microwave if you like it hot/soft.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:18 pm

alittlerisky wrote:
Ok man, cheers for that. Nice to see someone who likes les bieres belges aussi. Or Vlaams bier dank u wel.

Although, I have to disagree with you on Palm. But then its all about personal taste. My preferred tipple (apart from Jupiler) is Westmalle Triple. Altho weighing in at 9.5% the aftermath is not often pleasant. Rodenbach is a great great summer afternoon "beer"... and you can drink five and still be fine at work after a few... its like 3.5% if I remember...or maybe I'm thinking of Pecheresse (peach beer/gueuze)... dunno.

Bon, ben... alors, a la prochaine, mec...


My preferred local language would be Marollien (or Bruxellois if you wish) if I only could speak it well enough. But it's "Les hommes savent pourquoi" for me more than "Mannen weten waarom". Well I'm not that big on lager/pilsner anyway, it goes when it's hot and here I'm happy to drink it with ice. All the same stuff anyway. Most Belgians are so happy that they can import Stella to the Brits to drink away.

The strong dark malt stuff is good Belgian beer, but suits better for the cold and rainy weather there than here. Rochefort is my favourite on that category; called the Rolls Royce of beers by many in Belgium. But I hardly ever drink it here, it just does't fit to the local climate.

I think you are referring to Gueuze or its adaptations Faro (almost apple juice) which are the really light summer stuff in Brussels. Rodenbach is not that light 5.5-6 around but has a very distinctive nice a bit similar sweet flavor though.

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2007

Postby alittlerisky » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 1:01 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:My preferred local language would be Marollien (or Bruxellois if you wish) if I only could speak it well enough. But it's "Les hommes savent pourquoi" for me more than "Mannen weten waarom". Well I'm not that big on .


I lived in Brussels on and off for about 8 years. Picked up quite a bt of Bruxelles slang. I my appartment was in Les Marolles. BTW, its actually "Brusselaire" in real Brussels language, not "Bruxellois" (that's French). I used to have a girfriend in Bruxelles, she was a princess. Literally a princess. Her name in her passpost was ********* Princesse de *****.

Regarding my favourite subject of beer though, I agree with with whoever it was that posted that Anchor was OK. I agree, tastier than, say, Tiger, and cheaper too.

I've started drinking the "strong" beers (7-8%) here. The taste is kind of masked by the strength. Not the smartest move I know. But then I am the only person I know who sellotaped the brake to the accelerator on his 800cc motorbike. Luckily I was only doing about 50km/h when the bike disagreed and threw me off.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests