Singapore Expats

UK graduate teacher looking for opportunities in Singapore.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ukteach

Post by ukteach » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 4:53 pm

An update:

I am still in Singapore, almost at the halfway point of my 3 month visitors pass. So far I haven't had any luck securing a job.

I've had lots more interviews and replies compared to when I was in the UK, but no firm offers. I've had some interest from Pre-schools and tuition centres, but a lot of them are unable to sponsor my work permit and therefore I don't make it past the interview stage.

International Schools have some (in my opinion) suitable positions, such as Teaching Assistants, as I lack the necessary years of teaching experience to be a full teacher, but these positions are generally reserved for SC/SPR.

Local schools recruit through the MOE, who currently have no positions open for me.

I've tried to cast my net a bit wider, looking for general positions working with children rather than specifically teaching, but I'm not having much luck. I'm waiting to hear back from my last interview, so fingers crossed, as I really want to work there.

There's a careers fair coming up on the 25th August which I plan to go to. Going to dress up nice, and print off plenty of copies of my CV to give to potential employers. Hopefully that will get some interest.

I apply to about 1 position per day on average, sometimes 2. I'd say >50% are no-replies, 35% "not shortlisted/SC/PR only type reply" and 15% make it to interview.

Ah well, I'm going to keep persisting. I absolutely love it here, but I really need a job. Lots of pressure.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 5:23 pm

My wife is a High School Math teacher here at an Int'l school.

Her view is you desperately need experience in the country you have your teachers licence/cert from before working internationally.

ukteach

Post by ukteach » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 7:19 pm

Mm, that definitely seems to be the case. I don't mind that so much, as I knew teaching in International Schools would be pretty much off-limits as a recent grad. It's just challenging to try and find something else, in between the SC/SPR only jobs and ones open to foreigners that match my level of experience.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 15 Aug 2013 7:45 pm

ukteach wrote:I apply to about 1 position per day on average, sometimes 2. I'd say >50% are no-replies, 35% "not shortlisted/SC/PR only type reply" and 15% make it to interview.
That's pretty good numbers, probably better than I ever achieved.
Good luck - a strong will will eventually achieve his dreams!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 9:42 am

ukteach wrote:Mm, that definitely seems to be the case. I don't mind that so much, as I knew teaching in International Schools would be pretty much off-limits as a recent grad. It's just challenging to try and find something else, in between the SC/SPR only jobs and ones open to foreigners that match my level of experience.
You could also try the International Schools in Johor (Malborough etc).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:04 am

OP, you can try networking with the expat teachers from Johor and Singapore. They may not be the hiring hands but they may be able to provide insight to job search in your area.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra652560.html

ukteach

Post by ukteach » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:33 pm

If I were to work in Johor, how would that work out in terms of the visa? I presume that I would have a permit for Malaysia rather than Singapore and would have to live in Johor?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:43 pm

ukteach wrote:If I were to work in Johor, how would that work out in terms of the visa? I presume that I would have a permit for Malaysia rather than Singapore and would have to live in Johor?
Yes you'd need a MY work permit.

BTW you've missed the beginning of the NH school year anyways? The Singapore school year finished in Nov.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 16 Aug 2013 3:45 pm

ukteach wrote:If I were to work in Johor, how would that work out in terms of the visa? I presume that I would have a permit for Malaysia rather than Singapore and would have to live in Johor?
Yes. That means you have the residency permit to live in Malaysia. I'd imagine the sociable bunch working for Malborough travels to Singapore for weekend fun.

ukteach

Post by ukteach » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 2:18 pm

Mm, while that isn't ideal (my girlfriend is Singaporean, and I'd much rather live here), it is an option. I've sent off a few applications to the intl. schools in Johor.

Is there anything else I can do to be any more proactive in finding a job? I send applications almost daily and constantly search for jobs advertised. I don't know if it is worth approaching any schools in person? Or are there agencies that may be able to help out?

My social visit pass here just feels like a ticking time bomb right now :(

@PNGMK - mm, but from what I understand, positions are often advertised year-round. There's a careers fair next weekend, so maybe I'll find something there.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 5:56 pm

One option which my wife's niece used in India to get a job in an Int'l school was to work first for two years as a governess. That led to the school the kids she worked with being interested and aware of her.

Another friend has found work in Thailand in a local upmarket school teaching Physics in English - she has a LLB, PHD and MSC but no actual teaching experience.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 5:59 pm

ukteach wrote:Mm, while that isn't ideal (my girlfriend is Singaporean, and I'd much rather live here), it is an option. I've sent off a few applications to the intl. schools in Johor.

Is there anything else I can do to be any more proactive in finding a job? I send applications almost daily and constantly search for jobs advertised. I don't know if it is worth approaching any schools in person? Or are there agencies that may be able to help out?

My social visit pass here just feels like a ticking time bomb right now :(

@PNGMK - mm, but from what I understand, positions are often advertised year-round. There's a careers fair next weekend, so maybe I'll find something there.
Ok two points;

Int'l schools run on two different (or more) calendars - so yes they be advertising year around I suppose but for North August schools for example they need to recruit by Feb for a July start. Any jobs you see in May for example are last minute panic jobs they are trying to fill.

You could consider joining ISS (Internaltional School Search). This is a reputable group who place teachers but usually they need you to have some experience AND it's expensive. I've had right scolding from someone I recommended to this before but up until this year this was how my wife find work so phuck him.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 6:02 pm

Are you a christian (protestant preferably)? If so I know some missionary schools who will take you right now which will get you some experience.

ukteach

Post by ukteach » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 9:00 pm

PNGMK wrote:One option which my wife's niece used in India to get a job in an Int'l school was to work first for two years as a governess. That led to the school the kids she worked with being interested and aware of her.

Another friend has found work in Thailand in a local upmarket school teaching Physics in English - she has a LLB, PHD and MSC but no actual teaching experience.
I have looked at that as well. I'm open to other positions within schools to get a foot in the door but so far, most of the jobs I've seen appear to be explicitly SC/SPR only.

My girlfriend has a degree in Biology so we'd both be open to working abroad. Her concern was that she wouldn't be able to find a job in Biology (she doesn't want to teach English) but maybe that isn't the case.

ukteach

Post by ukteach » Sat, 17 Aug 2013 9:04 pm

PNGMK wrote: Ok two points;

Int'l schools run on two different (or more) calendars - so yes they be advertising year around I suppose but for North August schools for example they need to recruit by Feb for a July start. Any jobs you see in May for example are last minute panic jobs they are trying to fill.

You could consider joining ISS (Internaltional School Search). This is a reputable group who place teachers but usually they need you to have some experience AND it's expensive. I've had right scolding from someone I recommended to this before but up until this year this was how my wife find work so phuck him.
I see. I've seen some recent advertisements for January 2014 start (AIS, Dulwich), so I guess that makes sense.

I'm familiar with ISS and have considered it, however when I read through their website they seemed quite adamant about teachers needing experience beforehand or they would have difficulty placing them. I'll try sending them an email and see if they have any advice in my case but it may just amount to "get some more experience first".