Singapore Expats

Can a person on DP in singapore work for another country

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rathi.anita

Can a person on DP in singapore work for another country

Post by rathi.anita » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:24 am

Hello,

I wanted to know if a person staying in Singapore on DP can work for an indian company ? That is, person will be still on payroll of indian company. If yes, then what procedure have to be followed ?

Thanks!!!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 9:14 am

Legally, no

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 1:22 pm

Saint wrote:Legally, no
Are you sure about that?

I recall it being ok to the spouse on DP to keep his/her old job back wherever they come from if it can be done remotely from home to back to company overseas. It of course doesn't mean that you can go to work at the Singapore office of the same company if they have one.

I can find at least one earlier discussion which seems to come to different conclusion: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic56544.html
or has things changed since 2009?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 1:27 pm

PPF, you are correct. All the work must be done for the employer in the other country and that employer cannot have a subsidiary company in Singapore either. No business may be transacted on behalf of the foreign company with Singapore companies or people resident in Singapore. However, while this is okay with MOM, IRAS still sees it as performing work in Singapore and deems it taxable to Singapore even though you don't need a working pass to do so. (two different ministries).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rathi.anita

Post by rathi.anita » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 4:37 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for your inputs !!!!!