Singapore Expats

Preferable time of year for holiday/job seeking short visit?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
solarStrings

Preferable time of year for holiday/job seeking short visit?

Post by solarStrings » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 2:03 am

Hi once again,

I introduced myself a few weeks ago in the Newcomers Lounge forum, and was saying I was thinking of doing a short trip to Singapore to see and feel, if and how I like the place, before committing myself to just turning up and trying to find work. It would be half holiday and half looking at job options (initiating contact from here in the UK).

Q--> While my ideal personal timeframe is to be starting to work around spring time 2014, is there any reason not to go for my holiday/job search visit at any time of year? I'm thinking around September/ October this year, but I can change that as I've not bought the flights yet.

I can't see it being much help going too far in advance (like if I went in the next couple of months, and besides I'm not ready yet). While I've seached and read that the lead up to xmas is a bad time, and after xmas and Chinese New Year is a good time, will companies or recruiters still be receptive to job seekers at that time of year? Essentially: 'Hi, would you like to employ me in a few months time please'.

Am early 30's, 8 - 9 yrs experience, creative/technical field, have a degree but in an unrelated field. The roles I'm looking for being are on MOM's 'skills in demand' list.

Thank you for any opinions.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 7:17 pm

I'm not sure how receptive anyone will be in the current climate TBH; have a read-up on the forum and you'll see that anti-foreigner sentiment is at an all-time high right now. But if you are going to come then after CNY would be better than before, but...

I'd suggest you firstly seek out the thread OSOD started about LinkedIn - the advice given there is spot on IMO. The general sentiment here is that local recruiters are useless, so the best aproach to trying to find employment is to develop and exploit (in a nice way) your contacts - what we used to call good old-fashioned networking. If I were in your shoes I'd spend several weks doing that before contemplating a visit.

Good luck!
Be careful what you wish for

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 7:18 pm

Feb 30th.
Now I'm called PNGMK

solarStrings

Post by solarStrings » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 6:16 am

Thank you for the replies. Yes, I've been reading lots of threads and have gathered that's what's happening, and that LinkedIn thread was one such example I found very helpful when I first saw it, so it was saved it in my bookmarks.

Re the sentiment, I have read a few bits and pieces and I can't remember/ not sure if it is against all foreigners (including those who have been there many years), new ones, or just a certain type. That happens here in the UK too and other places too no doubt, and for various reasons given elsewhere, I still feel it is somewhere I would at least like to try.

I have a few contacts there and will definitely be preparing way in advance. I'll read again those threads in the mean time.

Thank you very much.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 9:09 am

solarStrings wrote:Thank you for the replies. Yes, I've been reading lots of threads and have gathered that's what's happening, and that LinkedIn thread was one such example I found very helpful when I first saw it, so it was saved it in my bookmarks.

Re the sentiment, I have read a few bits and pieces and I can't remember/ not sure if it is against all foreigners (including those who have been there many years), new ones, or just a certain type. That happens here in the UK too and other places too no doubt, and for various reasons given elsewhere, I still feel it is somewhere I would at least like to try.

I have a few contacts there and will definitely be preparing way in advance. I'll read again those threads in the mean time.

Thank you very much.
In that case, better fly over now. Start of the year, people have had already their performance reviews and have their bonuses in queue. So, a lot of people are jumping ship.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

solarStrings

Post by solarStrings » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 5:06 am

Thanks nakatago. I actually already just bought my ticket but it's for the autumn. I need plenty of time to prepare various things before I go. If things go the way I aim for them to go, I would visit again this time next year more or less.